PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, decisions ...

Roadrunner
16-07-2004, 06:41 PM
In another thread, you'll see one (or both!) of the head gaskets in my car has gone, so it'll need probably £800 to £1k to fix :(

However, the guy who's going to fix it for me has offered me £6k for my car as it stands (so, £7k in real money to me) if I buy his Supra for £11k. Now, I do like his Supra :) - 94M twin turbo auto in silver, full leather etc., 42k miles, recent full service and belts change, new 18s (stunning!), new tyres, full HKS de-cat system, HKS induction kit and dump valve, but otherwise standard, probably 350bhp.

My car is a 98S auto/tip VR-4 saloon in Indigo Blue, 86k miles, full Mitsi service history since I bought it at 27k miles, Recaros, Momo, Evo VII 17s, Brembos, BDA de-cat, but otherwise standard. Having had it over 2 years, I'm starting to get a little bored with it ... :dozey:

So, choices:
1) Fix my car, and keep it;
2) Trade mine in against the Supra;
3) Fix my car, keep it, and up the power to cure the boredom;
4) Trade mine in against something else entirely and let someone else fix it.

Decisions, decisions ... What should I do? :headsc:

Brian

Brind
16-07-2004, 06:59 PM
Wrong place to question keeping the car, most people are biased here.

Unless you have another car in the family, you'll be kicking yourself you bought a two door car with no room in the back!! unless that's all you definitely need.

Option 4, you won't win with that deal ever.
Option 3, why not?
Option 2, be sure you could live with it.
Option 1, All together now!?!?!?! :D

enigma
16-07-2004, 06:59 PM
FIX IT AND MAKE IT FASTER!!!

While you have the heads off fit forged internals and boost it to 600BHP!

How deep are your pockets?!

Nick Mann
16-07-2004, 07:15 PM
I agree with the answers so far on this one.

Fix it and up the power. I think BDA's target may be a tad high though! 7k seems a fair price for yours, but you may get more. If you have the extra 4k to buy the Supra, think what your VR4 could become with that kind of dough!

I fully intend to buy another legnum VR4. I then fully intend to pick BDA's brain on making it even faster!! What else is so much fun/comfortable/load carrying and relatively affordable?

nick-f1
16-07-2004, 07:42 PM
Pete's options 1 or 3 for me too! But as he says I'm biased and only bought it in May.

Brind
16-07-2004, 08:20 PM
Pete's options 1 or 3 for me too! But as he says I'm biased and only bought it in May.

Mark. ;)

nick-f1
16-07-2004, 08:27 PM
Sorry Mark! Dont know why I put pete........ DOH!!!!!!!! :rolleyes5

KiwiTT
16-07-2004, 08:51 PM
B O R E D :rolleyes5

You are driving either too slowly or you haven't found enough competition. You may want to read some of the "Kills" recorded here.

I consider the VR-4, the ultimate "sleeper", but I am "biased" as Mark says. If you changed to the "Supra", you lose 4WD, AYC, etc. The Supra has none of theses. As for been a "sleeper", the Supra is not. You will find either 1) no one will challenge you, or 2) if you do get challenged it will be by all manner of "Boy-Racer". The best part about the VR-4 is when you have "Killed" with it, the opposition is so "surprised" at being beaten by a "Galant".

The Supra is part of the Japan "Supercar" pack, (i.e. 300ZX Turbo, Mitsi GTO, etc.) introduced in the early 90's. The VR-4 came out in the mid-90's and based on "Rally-Bred" technology. Therefore the VR-4 is designed for handling, and the most fun you have with it is when you have the AYC lights on, not blasting from 0-60, 1/4 mile etc.

Remember if you are in the "Supra" you will be noticed and that includes more attention from :lolice: ; which would'nt be good.

Kieran
16-07-2004, 10:34 PM
Personally, I think you need to ignore the VR-4 Taliban :p and do what you feel is right Brian. :)
Supras are an awesome piece of kit and the description of the one you've been offered sounds good. It is a little old though - and it's still a fair wedge of cash.

If you're getting bored though, then maybe it is time to move on. VR-4s are awesome cars, but there's equal and sometimes (dare I say it?!) better machinery available. I think the Supra is a good example of such a car.

I largely Agree with Brind's views, but one thing I think you should bear in mind is that extra power may not actually cure the boredom you feel... It'll be the same old familliar VR-4, just faster. With a car that's already so well accomplished in the speed and handling stakes, I'm wondering if you'd be into a 'Diminishing Returns' scenario.

And we've all seen what the pitfalls may be... and how expensive they can be... :undecided

Spirit
16-07-2004, 10:36 PM
I think just one more point should clear this all up:

the guy wants to buy YOUR VR4 and sell you HIS Supra, what does that tell you ;)

Roadrunner
17-07-2004, 12:04 AM
the guy wants to buy YOUR VR4 and sell you HIS Supra, what does that tell you ;)
He's buying a house and needs the extra £5k ;) :D I've known the guy for years, he's a mate :) and he'd never try to leg me over :noshake:

Been thinking about this tonight though and I reckon I'll stick with the VR-4. Do I hear a :hurrah: ? Silver's not my colour anyway - not stealthy enough. Good points from KiwiTT :beerclash . I reckon I'll fix it, up the boost a bit and see how that feels.

Now, if it had been a black Aero ... :D

Cheers, guys :thumbsup: Thanks for the support :)

Brian

Spirit
17-07-2004, 12:08 AM
he'd never try to leg me over :noshake:

Didn't mean that mate, just mean't he wanted your VR4 instead of his Supra ;)

Glad you made the right choice anyhow :beerbang: :hurrah: :boing3: :boing4:

nick-f1
18-07-2004, 07:23 PM
Personally, I think you need to ignore the VR-4 Taliban :p and do what you feel is right Brian. :undecided

Only a GLS owner could consider such a comment! Come on...... stealth or boy racer???

No contest! :-b

Kieran
18-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Only a GLS owner could consider such a comment!

See?! I rest my case! :p

nick-f1
19-07-2004, 09:13 PM
See?! I rest my case! :p

Come on Kieran Admit it- you want one too!!!! :laugh:

Kieran
19-07-2004, 09:17 PM
Come on Kieran Admit it- you want one too!!!! :laugh:

Erm.... If I really wanted a VR-4, I would have got one by now, I know I would've. I think that says all you need to know! :)

And you're still a bunch of fanatics! :p :-D

nick-f1
19-07-2004, 09:21 PM
If memory serves me well Isn't there a thread on this forum that has a certain gls owner wanting to do a deal for a vr4? :-b

Kieran
19-07-2004, 09:28 PM
If memory serves me well Isn't there a thread on this forum that has a certain gls owner wanting to do a deal for a vr4? :-b

Yes, there probably is! But times and circumstances, they change! :)

And you're STILL a fanatic! :laugh:

Brind
19-07-2004, 09:29 PM
You appear to be the most indecisive male I know Kieran, that's why you don't own a VR-4. :laugh:

Big Ian
19-07-2004, 09:59 PM
:thumb1: WELL BRIAN.....may i be the first to say!
:wavey: no matter what form of galant you drive it's good your stickin with it and hopefully the club to.. :rolleyes:

Kieran
19-07-2004, 10:03 PM
You appear to be the most indecisive male I know Kieran, that's why you don't own a VR-4. :laugh:

Heh! I wouldn't say that! :)

Brind
19-07-2004, 10:37 PM
Heh! I wouldn't say that! :)

That's alright, you'll probably say it in a minute. :laugh:

Roadrunner
20-07-2004, 08:55 AM
:thumb1: WELL BRIAN.....may i be the first to say!
:wavey: no matter what form of galant you drive it's good your stickin with it and hopefully the club to.. :rolleyes:
Cheers, Ian :) The engine is currently being taken to bits and, if the parts arrive today, I may even have it back by the end of the week. Then all I have to do is rob a bank to pay for it ;) :D (which I'll be able to do in my stealthmobile, but definitely not in the 2F2F Supra I'm tooling about in for the mo ... :p )

Brian

Roadrunner
23-07-2004, 02:38 PM
I'm getting withdrawal symptoms :sad3: My car is still in the process of being put back together and I'm getting mightily tired of opposite-lock motoring :p . 350+bhp of Supra is great fun in the dry :) , in a straight line ;) , but it's a bl00dy nightmare in the pi$$ing rain :rolleyes: . Even with the (alleged) "slip control" ON, it's far too happy to hang the back out on damp roads with only the slightest encouragement :rolleyes: . Oh, if only it had AWD :-b

KiwiTT
24-07-2004, 06:26 AM
... 350+bhp of Supra is great fun in the dry :) , in a straight line ;) , but it's a bl00dy nightmare in the pi$$ing rain :rolleyes: . ... Oh, if only it had AWD :-b

That's why we love the

Mitsubishi Galant VR-4

Roadrunner
24-07-2004, 10:15 PM
Got my car back today :hurrah: and it's running VERY well :D Head gaskets replaced, heads skimmed, new valve stems(?), new oil, filter, ATF filter (removed and replaced for ease of getting at the turbo pipes), belts - just waiting for the bill now ... :scared1: The tappet-ticking has gone too :) Took the opportunity to fit a bleed valve :) so now running 0.7 bar constant, peaking at 1.0. I think it's quicker than it was, but I've still got to get the Supra out of my system (everything feels a bit slower after that :rolleyes: ). Happy to be back with 4WD and in stealth mode again :smoking:

Brian

Nick Mann
25-07-2004, 06:41 PM
Glad you've got it back. What caused the problems? Any ideas? Both heads skimmed - was that a precaution, or had they both gone?

Roadrunner
26-07-2004, 11:20 AM
What caused the problems? Any ideas? Both heads skimmed - was that a precaution, or had they both gone?
Don't know what caused it - old age maybe? :headsc: - no.1 cylinder at the back. Yep, heads skimmed as a precaution - 0.008" (8 thou) out apparently, which doesn't sound much. It was the valve stem oil seals that were replaced, not the valve stems themselves, btw. Running very well now :)

Brian