PDA

View Full Version : Alpine IXA-W407 iPod/iPhone head unit

kinger
27-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Im well excited!! just ordered my new Alpine double din, touch screen head unit, to go with my iPhone, with blue tooth so i can wierlessly stream music, music video's and film from my iphone to the head unit!
And voice dial, and reverse camera, and lots more!!!
will be here tomorrow, I feel like a kid waiting for christmas morning!!!!
/Banana /woot2

Atik
27-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Does the iPhone do bluetooth streaming of audio/video?

You 'may' also find that the headunit does not pick up the names of any of your contacts as the iPhone does not 'send' them in a legible way. Well, thats what happens with my Kenwood headunit and my iPhone. I can use the bluetooth handsfree but it doesnt display any names.

Turbo_Steve
27-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Indeed: I think you'll find you're best off using the cable wherever possible.
Music will sound better via a wire anway :)

The bluetooth bit is great for when you jump in the car and aren't going to listen to music and someone phones, but for the rest of the time, I think you'll be wanting to plug it in!

Beastlee
27-01-2010, 06:17 PM
My iPhone 3GS works perfectly with my JVC unit for both wired and Bluetooth. I can't stream video but I can audio, but then it isn't a screen based unit. Contacts work perfectly too.

Atik
27-01-2010, 06:18 PM
As per Steve's comment, I find that I use the wired connection to play my music through the stereo and retain the bluetooth handsfree portion at all times.

My original point was that I didnt think you could stream music/video via bluetooth on the iPhone...?

Beastlee
27-01-2010, 06:27 PM
not sure if it's the 3GS or a mod I have that allows me to but I can definitely stream my audio over bluetooth.

kinger
27-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Yes it does it all! the contact names come up, and it steams music, videos and even any films i have on my iPhone wirelessly, watch the vid!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9ogLzrX9XQ&feature=related

WizardKing
27-01-2010, 07:05 PM
I've had no probs streaming music over Bluetooth and making calls handsfree, phone book using, et.al. using an HTC Diamond/Kenwood combination.

Atik,
Kenwood may have released updated firmware for your headunit as well as for it's Bluetooth hardware.
Mine has, shortly after buying it, I updated both. It already had the latest Garmin f/w.
What model is yours ?

WizardKing
27-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Kinger,

Just watched that video you linked to.
It plays video with a wire only, not wirelessly. Maybe it will soon be available in Bluetooth v3,4 or 5. presently, there's not enough bandwidth to stream decent video. Yes, there are a small number of instances of streaming video over Bluetooth but at a very low resolution and framerate. Essentially, it is not yet a viable option AFAIK.

Looks a lot of messing about, too! The Kenwood units have it all in the headunit, all you need to add are aerials and speakers. [There are 2 USB connections, too.]

Turbo_Steve
27-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Sounds like they've improved things with the 3GS, then; a colleague at work has a 3G, and music streaming sounds absoloutely dreadful on it!

elnevio
27-01-2010, 08:07 PM
The Pioneer unit in the RVR connects via Bluetooth to both our Sony phones for telephone and audio. A colleague's iPhone also connected relatively easily and could stream tunes no problem.

Atik
27-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Wizard, I have the Kenwood DNX-7200. I'll have a look around to see if there is a new firmware upgrade.

As for Kingers HU, as its new, it must have been created with the ability to read the iPhone data (contact names etc), whereas mine being old wasnt designed for it. In any case, its not an issue for me as the phone is always on the dash mount so I can see who is calling anyway.

Atik
27-01-2010, 08:10 PM
That leads me to believe that simply my HU is just an older model not designed with those features in mind.

And Nev, that is the HU I'd have bought if I didnt have my current one ;)

wintertidenz
27-01-2010, 10:21 PM
TBH it's easier to use a cable - from memory the headunit will charge the phone while playing the music anyway.

WizardKing
28-01-2010, 04:27 AM
Huh ??
Wireless is easier than messing around, untangling/extending cords. In fact it's the reason for it's entire existence, isn't it ?

Atik;
Linky for you, mate ;
http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/support/updates/

Turbo_Steve
28-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Actually, I think the cables are better too.

Wireless Bluetooth Audio Streaming (A2DP) is nowhere near as high quality as a dedicated wire connection, especially if it's an error checked digital stream.

And the charging is also dead cool, especially if you're using the battery destroying Sat Nav!

Atik
28-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the link Wizard. I was gonna Google it later tonight. Incidentally I did a recent update on the sat nav but didnt look for a bluetooth/iPhone update.

And I agree with Steve with the loss of quality over wireless. The wired connection will always give you a better connection. I run my iPhone music via wired connection and I dont think the cable is intrusive or anything. In fact, it is one of the tidiest cables ever and runs up from behind the panel next to the driver side left knee up to a phone mount in front of the clock. AND it charges the phone, so I can leave Google Maps running while I drive (even though I have sat nav).

To be fair though, as long as you are happy to run it how you want, then thats fine :)