PDA

View Full Version : Tick over problems now

jackerthanjack
28-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Since having the car put throught its very expensive service i had recently noticed a problem with tick over. Some times the tick over is very variable sounds like its camme, other times il start her up and she will tick over at very low revs and sometimes stall.

Wodjno
28-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Could be the idle control valve ( Stepper Motor)
May just need cleaning and lubing up..

or TPS may need setting up ?

orionn2o
28-01-2010, 12:41 PM
On the times where you start it up and the tick over is low . Is the engine warm from a previous run??

jackerthanjack
28-01-2010, 01:44 PM
yeah but when i mean low i mean below 500

Davezj
28-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Check the following plugs to see if they are fitted correctly, MAF and idle control valve.

ensure they are fully pushed home and click into place. either of these will cause bad idle i have forgoten to plug these in on a number of accations and got bad idle.

if car has been service then the MAF plug will have been diconnected, not sure about the idle control vale.

just a side note did they disconnect the battery when doing the service. you can get idle issue after doing this. you need to let the idle for a good few minutes (ideally with load on engine e.g. air con on fully cold and fan on high) after disconnecting the battery to let the idle control valve adjust itself to the correct running state.

how long is it since the service ?

jackerthanjack
28-01-2010, 05:03 PM
er about a week or so thinking of just poppin out the garage that did see if he can have ago but i disconnected the battery then just started it up normally. Il give that ago DAVEZJ so your saying disconnect the battery for ten mintues reset the ECU and then re-connect start her up and run aircon on cold and fan on fully yeah

Atik
28-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Could it be a dodgy pipe or vacuum hose? I has a split pipe which made it run really loud (ticking sound) and there was a lack of power. A quick fix sorted it out first time.

Davezj
28-01-2010, 09:49 PM
er about a week or so thinking of just poppin out the garage that did see if he can have ago but i disconnected the battery then just started it up normally. Il give that ago DAVEZJ so your saying disconnect the battery for ten mintues reset the ECU and then re-connect start her up and run aircon on cold and fan on fully yeah

yes that is about right, but remember if you have an auto it will reset the shift points to default. it will take anything up to 500mile of driving to get them back to normal silky shifts.

but check the connectors first.

i suggest this to try as it is cheap and easy to do.

jackerthanjack
29-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Cheers dave seems to have worked tip friggin top thanks for ADVICE

Davezj
29-01-2010, 07:32 PM
no worries mate. you can give me some rep if you like! LOL

Nutter_John
29-01-2010, 08:30 PM
no worries mate. you can give me some rep if you like! LOL

you rep whore :o :iagree:

Davezj
29-01-2010, 08:41 PM
oh yes, those rep point shall be mine, oh yes the shall be mine!

mooowahahaha! (hooded claw style)