PDA

View Full Version : ball joint

Robotnik123
31-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Was at a CVR4 meet today. Wynn and the other chaps heard my car make a clunking noise coming from the left as I manoeuvred to park. And sure enough driving around later, there is indeed an intermittent and quite loud clunk that can sometimes be heard coming from the front left of the car; notably when the suspension compresses as it goes over a speed hump or up a driveway ramp or something like that. Does this sound like a ball joint issue? My car has had the lower suspension arm recall done by the way.

In December last year the car failed its warrant of fitness for excessive play in the left hand inner rack end. I had this fixed. Would an improper repair here be the cause of this noise, or might having this repair done have exacerbated a ball joint problem? Also shouldn't the WOF check have detected a balljoint issue if there was one?

CANDEE
31-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Jan,

As stated this moring, you will need to replace the balljoint.. Yes a WOF should show the fault, but depends on how vigilant the tester is..

At the moment yours looks like its on its way, but will be a good idea to get this replaced. :)

J

edit - if you havent had your cambelt done, I suggest you do too.../yes

Robotnik123
31-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Jan,

As stated this moring, you will need to replace the balljoint.. Yes a WOF should show the fault, but depends on how vigilant the tester is..

At the moment yours looks like its on its way, but will be a good idea to get this replaced. :)

J

edit - if you havent had your cambelt done, I suggest you do too.../yes

Yeah thanks. Have had the cambelt done some time ago. Just that I've done this whole chasing a clunk thinking it was an imminent ball joint failure before when it was just a suspension bushing thing. It ought to be detected in WOF check when they do the car on hoist, broom stick test on the joints.

Some of what I did last time is in this thread.
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35580&highlight=ball

Anyway, I will probably get both joints done with the car's next service I guess, to be on the safeside.