PDA

View Full Version : Remote Locking Query

tmwsccsh
31-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Hi all,

I am hoping someone can help with a query on remote central locking. I have a 1997 Galant GLS which, according to the sales brochure I have recently acquired for the car, should have remote central locking as standard. However, I only have 1x key and that's it - have to use that to lock and unlock the car.

So my questions at this stage are:-

1) Should there be a remote locking device for it, and if so, where can I get one (and program it to the car)?

2) If I only have a key, can I get another cut, or is there going to be something in the key that is also an immobiliser chip of some kind? Certainly, it only looks like a key and nothing else...?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Tim Watts

elnevio
31-01-2010, 06:18 PM
It's possible that the UK cars had an immobiliser transponder chip in the key, which the ECU reads once it is inserted into the ignition barrel. Best bet would be to prise open the key you have - if there's nothing inside, then you can just get a blank cut.

As for the alarm, I think the Cobra 'alien fob' alarm was standard fit across the UK Galant range, which incorporated remote activation for the central locking. Do you have any flashing lights or other additional receptacles at all? There might be one that accepts a little stick (which puts the alarm into diagnostic/settings mode). If there is a flashing light, I would expect to see it on the steering cowling.

tmwsccsh
31-01-2010, 06:35 PM
It's possible that the UK cars had an immobiliser transponder chip in the key, which the ECU reads once it is inserted into the ignition barrel. Best bet would be to prise open the key you have - if there's nothing inside, then you can just get a blank cut.

Thanks for this - will check and have a look...

As for the alarm, I think the Cobra 'alien fob' alarm was standard fit across the UK Galant range, which incorporated remote activation for the central locking. Do you have any flashing lights or other additional receptacles at all? There might be one that accepts a little stick (which puts the alarm into diagnostic/settings mode). If there is a flashing light, I would expect to see it on the steering cowling.

Now, I have spotted one of those things that you would put a little stick of some kind onto in the dashboard area to override an immobiliser, so it does sound like there should / could be something there. However, the fact that I have nothing and the car still works may suggest that it has been disabled / overriden at some point? I have not spotted any flashing lights, but will have a better look tomorrow morning when I leave for work before the crack of dawn and see if anything jumps out.

Thanks for the info.

Regards

TMW

tmwsccsh
06-02-2010, 12:04 PM
So I have found what looks like the bit you put the fob against:-

Can't find a light though. Will keep looking...

TMW

aboo
06-02-2010, 12:22 PM
That is the bit for the fob.

Nick Mann
06-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Yep - Mitsubishi fitted a rebranded cobra alarm to the UK galants. I understand that the dealers did this on arrival in the UK, but don't quote me. You should have two keys, two fobs and two small transponders that touch against that socket. The transponders are designed as an emergency override if your fob stops working.

I always thought that all galant keys were transponder free, but I have recently heard that this is not the case. My understanding now is that some of the later cars did have a transponder in the key.

tmwsccsh
06-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Hmm - I'm now getting confused. I only have 1x key, no alarm remote or fobs. I have never been immobilised or anything so my guess is that the alarm has either been removed or disabled in the car.

Is there any way I can confirm this easily?

TMW

timholmes61
08-02-2010, 10:25 AM
I think a previous owner has just lost, broken or kept the fobs etc.

My car has all the fobs and overide keys but the alarm is playing up a little so I have been using the key in the door on its own. This just operates the central locking but not the alarm or immobiliser.

So I would have thought your system is still operational but will never be activated without the original key fob or a programmed replacement. I think your best bet is to fit an aftermarket system if you want an alarm etc.

Nick Mann
08-02-2010, 10:58 PM
I would guess timholmes61 has it about right there.

Most of the alarms were thatcham 2, so the immobiliser only kicks in with a button press, in conjunction with the alarm. UK supplied VR4s were thatcham 1, so the immobiliser does kick in by itself after 30 seconds of the ignition not being on. Both non-vr4 galants I have had only had the thatcham 2 variant.

bonesthebutcher
15-02-2010, 09:42 PM
I had a similar problem when I bought mine - one "alien" key fob, and no override sticks (which are also used to register the keyfobs to the system). I was able to purchase additional keyfobs from ebay but the override sticks were more elusive, and eventually found it was cheaper to purchase a "basic" Cobra immobiliser (that came with two sticks) and throw away the immobiliser part than it was to just buy the two sticks! :huh:

Then simply take the main alarm control unit (suitably extracted from the car), all keyfobs and sticks to your local Cobra Alarm Centre (mine was in east London), leave it with them for 30 minutes whilst they perform a secretive black magic ritual, and job done :)

Confused
15-02-2010, 09:48 PM
You can actually program any "alien" fobs to the car with a series of "on/off" of the ignition, based on number of flashes from the LED, without the need of the override "sticks" (to continue the phrases used above!)

I've not got the info to hand, but my dad knows the sequence (he worked for a Mitsubishi main dealer for 20+ years, and throughout the entire duration of the 8g Galant's sale in the UK).

danfagg
17-03-2010, 09:48 PM
My car came with an alarm remote and transponder stick but I was told I only needed the key and the alarm did not work.

After 2 years of ownership I decided to have a play with the remote and found some info about resetting the alarm. The cobra remote has a model no. on the back of 7777. I held both buttons in for about 10 seconds until I got a solid red light. After that, as if by magic, I now have keyless entry and an alarm.

My best guess would be to get hold of a cobra fob model no. 7777 and try holding both buttons in to get it to recognise your alarm.

Davezj
17-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Hi all,

I am hoping someone can help with a query on remote central locking. I have a 1997 Galant GLS which, according to the sales brochure I have recently acquired for the car, should have remote central locking as standard. However, I only have 1x key and that's it - have to use that to lock and unlock the car.

So my questions at this stage are:-

1) Should there be a remote locking device for it, and if so, where can I get one (and program it to the car)?

2) If I only have a key, can I get another cut, or is there going to be something in the key that is also an immobiliser chip of some kind? Certainly, it only looks like a key and nothing else...?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Tim Watts

going back to you original point 1.

From new, i think the car would have originally come with a key with 1 button on it to operate the central locking (click to open click to lock). there will have been one or two other key provided with the car. but they would have been just keys (no button).

my car came with only one key but luckily it was the key with the button. mine is a jap import VR4 so it did not have any kind of alarm/immobiliser on.