PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something in my Engine bay?

tmwsccsh
31-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Hi all,

During the week I was checking the oil at work, and one of my colleagues mentioned that I seemed to be missing something in the engine bay. Just taken a photo and ringed the affected area in Green as below:-

I did a quick google for a Galant engine image and found this, and there's clearly something there that I don't have:-

So my questions are:-

1) What am I missing?

2) Is it a problem?

3) Where can I get one?

4) Is it easy to fit on?

I have done about 2,000 miles now since I got the car, and no problems appear to be there so am not sure what it is that's not there (possibly an air duct of some kind?) or what the implications of not having it are.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

TMW

Beastlee
31-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Yes it's designed to bring cold air in from the front of the bonnet. at the moment you'll be drawing in warm air from the engine bay. As you're not in a VR4 th difference is probably minimal but getting and fitting the part should improve economy.

1) What am I missing? A funnel

2) Is it a problem? Not really, just likely to minimally effect performance and MPG

3) Where can I get one? Ask Peter Thompson, Carlos-1275 or one of the others breaking a car. Failing that post up in the parts forum.

4) Is it easy to fit on? Pushes in and, if you get them, two push clips at the front. Simples.

tmwsccsh
31-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Yes it's designed to bring cold air in from the front of the bonnet. at the moment you'll be drawing in warm air from the engine bay. As you're not in a VR4 th difference is probably minimal but getting and fitting the part should improve economy.

Excellent - thank you for the quick reply. What's the part called so I know what to look for?

Ta in advance.

TMW

Beastlee
31-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Excellent - thank you for the quick reply. What's the part called so I know what to look for?

Ta in advance.

TMW

Erm, Mitsubishi call it 'DUCT,AIR CLEANER INTAKE' and it's part number MR266919 for the record. If you just ask for the funnel to the air filter you'll be fine.
If you're feeling flush then the clips are MB476821 and you'll need qty 2.

elnevio
31-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Erm, Mitsubishi call it 'DUCT,AIR CLEANER INTAKE' and it's part number MR266919 for the record.
This is the part number for the VR-4 funnel. Which has a larger hole where it enters the airbox, so it won't fit. I think the V6 and 2.0 funnels are however the same size.

tmwsccsh
31-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Excellent - thank you very much. Will start the hunt!

Regards

TMW