PDA

View Full Version : The other ball joint

firefly
17-07-2004, 12:12 PM
Well my visit to Mitsi yesterday didn't go to plan! :sad3:

I thought that the to-n-fro clunking from my left front suspension was bound to be the ball joint that was covered under warranty :) so imagine my surprise when the snotty receptionist tells me that my lower ball joints were fine. :wtf:

I protested much over this revelation telling her that there is a problem, that it clunks all the time, and that it needs fixing.

She stone-facely replied that the mechanic said it was fine so it couldn't be that, that our own mechanic who initially diagnosed the problem was wrong and told us to go back to the drawing board!!!

Me and boyf not impressed by unfriendly unhelpful staff - and to name and shame it was Holden Mitsubishi of Norwich. :whip:

So when we calmed down and visited our mechanic again to tell him what happened he helpfully put the car on the ramp and said "Well, there are two ball joints on each wheel - I guess they mean the other one is the lower ball joint and the broken one is ?????)

So guys - any idea what the other ball joint is called??

I don't have a workshop manual so wouldn't have a clue.

If anyone knows the part no. and cost of this and whether my symptoms are even associated with that ball joint I would be most grateful.

To put it simply - HELP!!

craig-1
17-07-2004, 07:31 PM
Well my visit to Mitsi yesterday didn't go to plan! :sad3:

I thought that the to-n-fro clunking from my left front suspension was bound to be the ball joint that was covered under warranty :) so imagine my surprise when the snotty receptionist tells me that my lower ball joints were fine. :wtf:

I protested much over this revelation telling her that there is a problem, that it clunks all the time, and that it needs fixing.

She stone-facely replied that the mechanic said it was fine so it couldn't be that, that our own mechanic who initially diagnosed the problem was wrong and told us to go back to the drawing board!!!

Me and boyf not impressed by unfriendly unhelpful staff - and to name and shame it was Holden Mitsubishi of Norwich. :whip:

So when we calmed down and visited our mechanic again to tell him what happened he helpfully put the car on the ramp and said "Well, there are two ball joints on each wheel - I guess they mean the other one is the lower ball joint and the broken one is ?????)

So guys - any idea what the other ball joint is called??

I don't have a workshop manual so wouldn't have a clue.

If anyone knows the part no. and cost of this and whether my symptoms are even associated with that ball joint I would be most grateful.

To put it simply - HELP!!

what you are reffering to sounds like the steering rack ball joints (or as they say at mitsi KNUCKLE ENDS) if it is this it will cost you about £45 a side (mitsi prices)or if you want to do it on the cheap side £15-£20(motor factor prices).
IVE JUST HAD IT DONE :smoking:

firefly
23-07-2004, 11:28 AM
Thanks craig! ;)

Just to clarify this tho the boyf has drawn a picture of what needs replacing - do you reckon this is the knuckle joint?

http://nexus220.fireflyinternet.co.uk/balljoint.jpg

If so I don't suppose you know that part number for this do you?

Thanks for all you help and any other assistance from the rest of you regarding cheaper alternatives is very welcome. :)