PDA

View Full Version : engine temperature

SGHOM
17-07-2004, 03:48 PM
My engine is red hot !! I noticed this a couple of days ago, but thought it was just my imagination.
I've just been out in it, for no more than 15 Min's, & only at very low speed. I cannot touch anything under the engine bay !! the pipes are red hot. I took the gearbox dipstick out just to check level, & even that was very hot to the touch ??
the radiator is full, the expansion tank is at the correct level, the fans are working, even the temperature gauge reads normal ??

Any suggestions ??

Brind
17-07-2004, 03:59 PM
Erm... don't touch it! :rolleyes5

SGHOM
17-07-2004, 04:11 PM
Erm... don't touch it! :rolleyes5
I suppose I walked into that one !! :$ or should I say, that's a typical reply from you Mark !! :wall:
but more seriously, It does concern me somewhat. I have a high pressure rad cap, which allows higher running temp, but I've not felt it so hot before now ?? :|

HJM
17-07-2004, 06:35 PM
Seen your recent induction modifications - very impressive. :-b

Please take the following info with a pinch of salt as your technical knowledge is somewhat superior to mine. :lipsrseal

However it seems a coincident that you're now suffering from unusually high operating temperatures - think you may have actually reduced the amount of cold air going in.

The style of your induction cone (before its radical revamp) suggested to me that the chrome cap had two purposes:
1. To look posey (I should know - you've seen my other car!) :-b
2. To deflect the incoming cold air onto the ribbed filter section of the cone

The area of the ribbed filter would be many times greater than your newly drilled holes - why not try cutting back the directly connected hose, say 50mm and allow the 'super channelled' cold air feed to serve both the ribbed filter and new drill holes (you could always refit the chrome cone if your worried about particle intake) - as our FTO friend stated the induction cone is probably undersized and therefore any reduction in its capacity would cause 'overheating' :rolleyes5

Good luck at the Pod tommorrow - I can see BDA biting his nails all day :laugh:

I reckon you could do 13.1's or if everything gels 12.9's !!!!!!! ;)

Show the club that silver Legnums are the best :-b

Heath

RED
17-07-2004, 06:47 PM
Could it be that now you've got more air coming into the engine bay you've got more to get hot but you've still got no where quick for it to escape to? So if the engine bay is retaining all this hot air won't everything feel alot hotter a bit like the principal of a steamer :thinking:

Physician
17-07-2004, 09:38 PM
My engine is red hot !! I noticed this a couple of days ago, but thought it was just my imagination..........

One would guess that, as has been suggested already, it's your new cool air system. However ...........

Have you by any chance removed your cooling fan(s) recently whilst doing the mods? I ask, because for about a year I had a severe overheating problem with a V12 engine ....... it had been into numerous garages to try and find the fault, new water radiator, new oil cooling radiator - you name it. Eventually I found the fault myself when I had the two fan motors connected but removed to the garage floor to check that they were cutting in at the right temperature. I was suddenly aware that cigarette smoke was blowing INTO my eyes and making me smart ...... one of the fan blades was on the wrong way around and blowing hot engine air onto the oil cooler rather than drawing cold air through the oil rad.

Interestingly, I subsequently found out that it was probably done by workers at the Jaguar factory when they were having issues with management and were deliberately sabotaging cars on the production line ...... a bit obvious really as the fan blade had been forced/hammered on the shaft AGAINST a tapered spline! (Don't know if it's a different set up on the VR4's)

Also make sure any of your new piping hasn't been blocked somehow.

Good luck ......... and I don't need to tell you not to do any Pod runs if it's still overheating - could get costly.

Richard

zentac
17-07-2004, 10:32 PM
Havn`t got time to read all the replies but is your thermostat working? Not sure on the radiator / hose layout of the VR4 after a couple of mins of running the top pipe should be hot and bottom pipe cold. After about 10 mins they should be the same temperature as the thermostat should have opened up. If your there tomorrow I we will compare and see if theres anything obvious.

Big Ian
17-07-2004, 11:37 PM
maybe you are just blocking of the cold air to the engine with all the extra hose's?

FTOLTD
23-07-2004, 05:37 PM
change your radiator cap back to the original pressure and i think you will find this will fix it

zentac
23-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Why would you want a high pressure rad cap, that allows higher running temperature ?

Kieran
23-07-2004, 08:53 PM
Why would you want a high pressure rad cap, that allows higher running temperature ?

I think it came with the car didn't it Derek?

Isn't it because on some tuned motors, they produce that much heat that the coolant starts to boil under standard pressure? And steam doesn't have such a good specific heat absorption/conductivity value!! :rolleyes5

Putting a higher pressure cap on allows the coolant to remain liquid and do it's job of conducting heat away from the engine I would've thought....

Or am I off on a tangent?

Japmetal
23-07-2004, 10:38 PM
Putting a higher pressure cap on allows the coolant to remain liquid and do it's job of conducting heat away from the engine I would've thought....

Or am I off on a tangent?

Putting a higher pressure cap on means you're more likely to pop a hose/radiator before the cap lets off the pressure [unlikely but possible]

Kieran
23-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Putting a higher pressure cap on means you're more likely to pop a hose/radiator before the cap lets off the pressure [unlikely but possible]

Hence why a lot of heavy modded motors have Reinforced Silicone/carbon hoses, right?

Japmetal
23-07-2004, 10:46 PM
Exactly :)

You'll probably find most of them run upgraded coolant too, with a higher boiling point than the usual off-the-shelf stuff.

SGHOM
23-07-2004, 10:54 PM
Could it be that now you've got more air coming into the engine bay you've got more to get hot but you've still got no where quick for it to escape to? So if the engine bay is retaining all this hot air won't everything feel alot hotter a bit like the principal of a steamer :thinking:
I think RED may have hit the nail on the head !!1
As suggested by Richard, [ zentac ] there is nowhere for the heat to dissipate to.
If you look at the rear of the bonnet, It's virtually sealed from the outside world !!! what goes in, cant get out ??? ..................... I think ?? :rolleyes5

Japmetal
23-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Sounds a reasonable assumption.

If so, you've turned your under-bonnet into a giant pressure cooker ! :uhoh2:

Brind
24-07-2004, 12:34 AM
What you want is another bonnet vent. :)