PDA

View Full Version : Power loss

marjorie redman
03-02-2010, 08:36 PM
hi driving home from work yest my car a 2001 2.4 galant lost all power i turned the engine off and it started and ran ok, i took it to my local garage who put it on their diagnostic machine and no fault codes were found, they sed bring it back if it does it again, anyway it did it again on the way home, can anyone here help me its 45 quid a time at the garage for them to tell me they cant find anything wrong

thanks marj

Nutter_John
03-02-2010, 08:39 PM
could be any number of things wrong with it , to check the ecu codes you just need to short pins 1 -> 4 on the OBD socket - there is a list of what the codes on here ( it maybe in the member section )

Turbo_Steve
03-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi and Welcome to CVR4.

Your problem could be anything from a collapsing cat, blockage in the air intake or perhaps a coilpack on it's way out.

We need a bit more info than "lost all power" I am afraid:
Did it stall?
Was it running, but wouldn't rev?
Did it stutter when revved, or just feel pointlessly gutless?
How hot was the car?

bradc
03-02-2010, 09:31 PM
The GDI 2.4's have an electronic throttle body and can limit the engine revs to around idle or at 3000rpm. They normally do this due to carbon build up in the intake manifold and throttle body. How many miles has it done?

marjorie redman
04-02-2010, 10:28 AM
hi turbo steve the car was at normal temp and no gutts it didnt stall or stutter it has 90k on the clock it revved normally it ran fine after stopping and restarting and then did the same thing a few hours later

madge

raph
04-02-2010, 01:02 PM
^^thats sounds like carbon build up in the gdi(rubbish imho)

you hjave to pull the TB, then remove the intake mani and clean it out, you can see the intake on the head after removing the mani..it will be all goed up ..clean it too (dont let anything fall in )

alternativley..take it to mitsi and have em do the "Carbon Blaster" treatment. (runs like new - they tend to get clogged up again after 40k miles)

Oh,running higher Octane does help and so does using "low ash" oil - as used in the vw FSI engines.(expensive!!)

the GDI high pressure pumps rarely ever fail.. ive never seen a failed one before ..

if all else fails,you can source a pump from a breaker for cheap as there isnt a high demand for em.

Turbo_Steve
04-02-2010, 01:26 PM
It had no power, but revved freely? That's WEIRD