PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking noise!

wintertidenz
04-02-2010, 10:38 PM
I've had this weird high-pitched squeaking noise whenever I go over bumps or rock the car - it's been there since I had it. It comes from the left rear side - so rear passenger's side.

Originally I thought that it was the shocks, as they were stuffed - however I have a set of second hand ones in there now that I have checked are not leaking. The fact that it's happening on the same side as before seems a bit coincidental - I don't ever remember the sound going away with the shocks being changed.

I now suspect that it might be suspension bushes or a sway bar bush - any ideas?

Johnny_Cashed
04-02-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm sure you've thought of this, but brake pad wear indicators? I found that my front brakes squealed at first when I went round corners, I suppose because of the wheel flexing but eventually all the time until I changed the pads

shaun1978
05-02-2010, 01:56 AM
when you changed the shocks did you change the springs as well? they have a funny way of bowing when worn and rubbing on bodywork.

wintertidenz
06-02-2010, 11:57 AM
We checked the brakes a while ago, it's most noticeable when the car is stationary and someone gets out of the passenger side.

Springs and shocks came as a unit when I replaced them, I didn't notice anything unusual about the springs.

raph
06-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Question.. it squeaks when someone gets in and out.. have you treid this with the Hand brake off as well? does it still do it'?

WizardKing
06-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Please, for your own sake, check the threads regarding lower arm bushing (ball-joint) failures. I think most of us started off by believing the noises were harmless parts of suspension/steering and merely noises.

Unfortunately for some, not attributing any importance to these noises has caused catastrophic failures of the joint and huge repair bills.

if you watch the video, made by a member, you can compare the sound to yours.

Nick Mann
06-02-2010, 01:17 PM
The ball joint failures have all (without exception as far as I know) been the straight lower arm at the front of the car. This is the rear of the car, so shouldn't be the same thing.

I have a similar noise from the same area, which is now slightly worse on lowered Teins. I have ruled out the shock and the spring, as they both changed when I fitted the Teins. I have got no play in the suspension that I can see or feel and the noise has been there for a couple of years or more now. If anyone does work out what it is, I'd love to know too!

My solution is to have the stereo on - I can only hear it when the stereo is off and no-one is talking. /pan

WizardKing
06-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Aaaargh! My apologies, I read the first few words and skipped to the next paragraph prematurely.

[My excuse is that I've been up a while, just ain't woken up yet. /hammer ]

p.s.
Nick Mann ;
that solution covers a multitude of sins and is the only one necessary for hired/borrowed vehicles !!

Nick Mann
06-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Heh - no problems!

It sounds like a hollow rubber deep-squeek in my car. I have wondered if it is one of the rubbers round the arms, with the noise being transmitted up the strut, but I can't find any issues there. Checking the car very thoroughly a couple of months ago highlighted a dodgy bearing on that side and a knackered toe control arm on the drivers side. Changing both has made no difference to the noise.

WizardKing
06-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Either mice or the spare wheel.

I'd check for mice running around on the spare-wheel, always a 'mare to track down !

Davezj
06-02-2010, 02:45 PM
i had a type of cherping cricket sound coming from the rear of my car and that turned out to be the rear folding seat clips rubbing in its mounts just by the rear strut fixings, but that was when going over rough roads and no one sat in the back. you know the type, not big pot hole just a constant rumble uneven type road. put some tape round the clip bit that goes into the seat and all good.

another good one for the cricket cerping is the rear tail gate moving on it fix clip in the middle of the boot the bit that latches the boot closed. put tape round the latch and all is good again.

again the spare wheel is another source of squeaks if it is not bolted down properly, it moves about in the wheel well and rubs the side. giving a lower deeper squeak.

the other squeak i had was every time i got out of the car it went sqweeeek just once, that turned out to be the parking brake that wasn't adjusted properly the car would roll backwards ever so slightly when i got out of the car and as it did squeeek.
if you pushed the car with the hand brake on you could get it to move forward and back slightly and with each forward and back squeeeek, squweeeek. Adjusted the little wheel in the park bake shoes and it went away and no slight movement any more.

wintertidenz
06-02-2010, 10:06 PM
WizardKing - thanks for the warning, I have actually done my straight lower arms a while back :)

I'll check the boot, I doubt it is that though but it is always worth checking. I'll spray some silicone lubricant on the sway bar rubber mount at the rear as well to see if that helps alleviate the noise.

gazz
07-02-2010, 12:55 AM
I had a similar noise caused by a knackered rear shock, got to the point it was driving me nuts, changed the rear shocks and noise went!

giblet
09-02-2010, 10:24 PM
if you watch the video, made by a member, you can compare the sound to yours.

Sorry to hijack, but do you have a link to the video? I tried searching and it only came up with this thread!

wintertidenz
09-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Hmm, tried messing around with rocking the car with the handbrake both on and off. It occasionally does it with the handbrake on, and never does it when the handbrake is off!

So I suspect that there might need to be adjustment or replacement of the handbrake shoes.

Anyone know the part numbers for these, and how difficult it is to do them? :D

WizardKing
09-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Found it Gib786 ;

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17146

Wintertidenz ;
Rear pads are easy.

1/ Loosen both caliper bolts
2/ Take lower bolt all the way out
3/ Swing caliper up
4/ Replace pads
5/ Push pistons fully in [don't forget to loosen lid of reservoir, under bonnet 1st.]
6/ Swing caliper back down and replace bolt
7/ Nip bolts up

My pads said this on the box ;
D6049M01
for Mitsubishi Spacewagon, 3-door hatchback, petrol 2.4l,

Mind you, they cost 3 times the price of the front pads !

giblet
09-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Found it Gib786 ;

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17146

Cheers for the link, repped :)

WizardKing
09-02-2010, 11:38 PM
No problemo !

cheers ;-)

wintertidenz
09-02-2010, 11:38 PM
WizardKing - are you meaning the rear disc pads, or the handbrake shoes?

I need to pull one or both rear hubs off anyway to check the bearings, so I will check out the handbrake shoes then.

waxer
10-02-2010, 01:43 AM
I seem to recall from my car that the rear passenger side is where the exhaust comes out. Maybe try giving that a wiggle?

WizardKing
10-02-2010, 02:17 AM
Sorry, I meant the pads only. Had no idea there were any shoes ! Where are they, behind the discs ?
Never heard of drums and discs used together. What's the point ? Sounds like unnecessary extra weight.

wintertidenz
10-02-2010, 03:08 AM
I think there is a manual for the 8G rear suspension around somewhere, if you have a look at the assembly for that you will see that it mentions a parking brake drum assembly with shoes.

Not sure if this applies for our car, but I suspect that it does. Brad, Ginger Ninja or someone else will be able to confirm this.

WizardKing
10-02-2010, 03:26 AM
Yes, you're spot on, there. I've just found this in the articles section ;
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6423&highlight=brakes

Excellent how-to by Kieran on brake disc, pad and shoe maintenance.

Weren't you a proper member, here, wintertidenz ?

wintertidenz
10-02-2010, 03:34 AM
Waiting for payday to reactivate membership :)