PDA

View Full Version : ATF change

bristol seb
05-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Hey all,
Finally doing an atf change this weekend to rule out gearbox being fubar before the new tc seal next week, wish me luck, and good weather! (This was due to be done sept last year, but best laid plans have a habit of getting interrupted!)
Is there any way to tell, once the new fluid is in and if the box is still slipping, whether it is just the torque converter gone or the box has had it? (no point putting a new seal in a fooked box!)
On a quick side note thanks to performance oils, ordered 15l of amsoil tuesday lunchtime and it was with me by wednesday, fantastic service!
Let you know how it goes, cheers.

bristol seb
05-02-2010, 10:22 AM
ps I'm pretty sure it was slipping the last time it was driven due to having the wrong atf in there from an emergency top up to get me home.

TAR
05-02-2010, 10:39 AM
the seal will only need to be changed if its leaking fluid regardless of wether the box slips or not.

You should allow the amsoil a few days to work its magic.

:happy:

bristol seb
05-02-2010, 11:10 AM
It has been leaking for a while, hence the top up with wrong fluid (DIII). That's why I want to replace the atf first and make sure I'm not wasting my money putting a new seal in a box that's had it!

Ryan
05-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Bristol: The automatic transmission doesn't behave in the same way that an engine does. I.e. if there is a drop in ATF level, there is a problem. The ATF level should always remain constant.

Replacing the fluid only partially solves the problem.

bristol seb
05-02-2010, 11:23 AM
I know the seal is on its way out, hence topping up with the wrong atf (DIII). What I'm trying to find out is whether I've damaged the box, my thinking is that if it runs ok after flushing and refilling with new then it is only the seal that needs replacing. If it is still slipping after new atf then is it just the tc or the box aswell?

bristol seb
05-02-2010, 11:26 AM
TAR, I will give it a couple of days to work in, and try not to lose the plot if it doesn't sort it straight away! Cheers

Ryan
05-02-2010, 11:27 AM
I know the seal is on its way out, hence topping up with the wrong atf (DIII). What I'm trying to find out is whether I've damaged the box, my thinking is that if it runs ok after flushing and refilling with new then it is only the seal that needs replacing. If it is still slipping after new atf then is it just the tc or the box aswell?

I think you're fairly safe to get away with just replacing the T/C seal and adding the correct ATF and changing the ATF filter provided you haven't driven the car at 120MPH from John O'Groats to Lands End and back :D

bristol seb
05-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Hope so, as soon as I noticed the leak I took it exceedingly steady!

Ryan
05-02-2010, 11:35 AM
In that case, get approximately 15L of Mitsubishi Diamond Queen SPIII or Amsoil ATF plus a spin-on ATF filter (part number MD752072) and follow the guide in the Articles and you should be fine. I've just had my ATF + filter changed over the weekend with Carsten's help.

Best to do it with a mate, preferably a member who knows what they're doing.

bristol seb
05-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Amsoil got delivered on wednesday, picking up a new filter today, and hopefully doing the change on sunday! Roped in a mate to do the inside of the car bit/swear at/keep my oily hands off the laptop!
All being well it'll go in for the seal change next week.
Thanks for your comments guys, will keep you posted on the outcome, cheers, Seb.

Ryan
05-02-2010, 12:33 PM
If it's leaking you really need to get it fixed though otherwise that Amsoil is going to end up on the floor!

TAR
05-02-2010, 12:48 PM
What Ryan said, if the seal is leaking it can easily let go and cause you to have all the fluid on the floor in an instant and that would be a very expensive puddle!!

I guess you will be best placed to make the decision based on the severity of the leak.

:happy:

bristol seb
05-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Its not coming out fast at the mo, starts to leak as it gets up to temperature. It'll only be a couple of days til the seal gets done after the atf so loss should be minimal, plus I'll have a little spare to top up. Its only gonna get driven enough to make me happy there are no serious issues, no ranting!!

bristol seb
05-02-2010, 12:53 PM
I may park it with a tray under the box tho!:)

Ryan
05-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Do whatever you need to but make sure that fluid levels remains reasonably constant. Eg losing 5L or so will cause some problems. I've been there :uhoh2:

bristol seb
05-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Will do, it's not that bad yet and my gearbox guy is only a couple of miles away so all should be well this time next week.

Ryan
05-02-2010, 01:04 PM
You'll make it mate :D With the support of this club and its members... you're gonna make it! :givemebee

bristol seb
05-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Hell yeah!

amsoil
11-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Waiting for the next instalment here

bristol seb
11-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Hopefully gonna do it this weekend, work and a pregnant girlfriend are eating up my time at the mo!:)

bristol seb
14-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Ok, so did the atf change on saturday with no major problems bar a particularly stiff sump plug and the usual awkward filter change. I followed kierans how to and pumped about 6/7 litres out of the cooler as this was mainly to pump out all the DIII fluid that had gone in.
While taking off the intercooler hose to get at the atf filter I noticed a loose plug which should have been attatched to the sensors at the back of the airbox (maf?), plugged it back in and hey presto, no more engine issues (after resetting the ecu)!
The strange thing about that is it must have come off the last time it went to mitsubishi bristol to investigate the gearbox leak, and I don't really see how it could have found its way down there by itself? Hmmm, don't think I'll be taking the leggy back there any time soon!
Anyhoo, the car is now back on the road and shifting is noticeably better, with much less slip. I have only done about 30 miles so far so hopefully this should settle down as well.
It is booked in for the tc seal change midweek when the tc will get checked over too. Will let you guys know the outcome of that one when i do!
Cheers for all your help and advice on this (and dave's for the engine issues), see you at japfest!

bristol seb
03-03-2010, 06:34 PM
So after the garage having my leggie for 8 days(!), she came back with a new tc seal and a replaced speed sensor.
A couple of things came up when the seal was replaced though, first the mechanic told me the seal was leaking from the outside rim as it had worked its way out about half the width of the seal, and second the replacement seal (from mitsi) was half the depth of the original.
Anyone else noticed this while replacing theirs?
And is it an issue?!
Other than that (oh, and forgetting to do up one of the hoses in the engine bay that put a few quid in the swear jar) everything seems fine. No leaks, amsoil has sorted the slipping issues so I am a happy man!:)
Next up new pads and tyres all round, then start thinking about the go faster bits!

Roberto
03-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Sounds like a good rsult in the end Seb.

bristol seb
04-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Yep, all smiles at this end!

peter thomson
04-03-2010, 10:47 AM
The seal in one of the boxes we sorted was also coming out though it could just be down to the TC taking it with it as it is pulled out. Seals I have used have all been the same depth

bristol seb
04-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Fair enough, I'm keeping a good eye on the atf levels, plus it's going back after 500 miles for a check over. Cheers Peter

Nick Mann
04-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Same as Peter - all seals I have seen are the same depth, old mitsy, new mitsy and dodgy cheap affairs.

bristol seb
04-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Hmm, curious. I'll have another chat with the mechanic for clarification when it goes back for a check up. Cheers

steelie600
04-03-2010, 05:25 PM
it maybe that some one has tried to fix it in the past with the wrong seal

bristol seb
05-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Possibility, though I'm sure the box hasn't been out since import. Before that I'd have no idea!