PDA

View Full Version : Galant/Legnum Auto/manual question

raph
06-02-2010, 03:47 PM
HI guys

Help me choose a vr-4 be simply telling me how the Motorway manners are /Cruising speed

Eg :When the speedo indicates 160 kmh/100 mph..what engine speed do you have? same goes for 120kmh and 100 kmh (would like to know 120mph too please)

Just list if you have an automatic or Manual please.

Thanks

miller
06-02-2010, 04:25 PM
come join us at Nurburgring at Easter and see for yourself!

raph
06-02-2010, 05:22 PM
But i need a car first..cant decide, lots of low milage 98/99 autos out there , but i want a manual

Nick Mann
06-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Auto is lower revving than a manual. For example, an auto changes from 4th to 5th at 130mph. The manual runs out of revs in 4th much earlier.

raph
06-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Auto is lower revving than a manual. For example, an auto changes from 4th to 5th at 130mph. The manual runs out of revs in 4th much earlier.

ok, but what revs are you doing at 60mph/75mph (100-130kmh) Motorway speed?? the real reason is wot if i get an exhaust,i dont want an annoying drone at motorway speeds . <--very important to me

Anyone have the quarter mile times Auto/manual?

aboo
06-02-2010, 07:57 PM
When I'm sitting at 80mph on a motorway the car is at 3000 rpm. I have a pritty load exhaust but you hardly hear it at that speed & I have an auto.

My best quarter mile time is a 14 flat but that was before the new exhaust,plugs & leads.

Beastlee
06-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Raph, where are you in Germany (sorry if I have asked this already)? My VR4 is already here and I'm looking to actually go somewhere in it soon. Perhaps I can tie in a vacation with meeting you and some of the other Mitis owners? Mine has been modified but the exhaust is mostly stock.
I think my car runs approx 3000-3500RPM at 130km/h, it doesn't drone but for some reason my shock absorbers seem to be quite stiff and the german road design makes to feel like a boat on the sea, bouncing up and down.

bradc
06-02-2010, 08:11 PM
This should help you The top two is what you want to pay attention to.

swinks
06-02-2010, 08:16 PM
I did several times German A4 motorway Aachen > Dresden, and IIRC, mine was in cruise approx. 75mph at 2500rpm -ish.
Overall, cruising in range 60 - 80 mph gives you 2k to 3k rpm at approx 25% throttle and -10mmHg vacuum.
Figures from auto.

Beastlee
06-02-2010, 08:25 PM
I guess I was at approx 5200rpm on my high speed run that day :)

Raph, I love my Auto on the autobahns, in tip mode you have full control and in drive the response is isntant when flooring it to overtake. The sort of speeds we can do here also means the auto theoretically gives a little better economy but the torque converter can cancel out that benefit.

raph
06-02-2010, 08:36 PM
This should help you The top two is what you want to pay attention to.

Excatley, thats what i needed to know, Now seeing as you fit a different gearset , was the 5th gear cover just bolted on the the box? like on other mitsis?

But back on topic,after looking at the chart, im even more confused as the Auto does shine on the Motorway

bradc
06-02-2010, 08:38 PM
The 3rd box is what I have in my car at the moment. The longer 5th gear is in all EVO 7's and EVO 8 5 speeds, ignoring the rally spec ones of course.

aboo
06-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Just get yourself an auto you wont regret it.

raph
06-02-2010, 08:48 PM
I guess I was at approx 5200rpm on my high speed run that day :)

Raph, I love my Auto on the autobahns, in tip mode you have full control and in drive the response is isntant when flooring it to overtake. The sort of speeds we can do here also means the auto theoretically gives a little better economy but the torque converter can cancel out that benefit.

You have an Auto? good to know, im in Neunkirchen..where are you? K-town?

ever taken the VR4 to the drags at Bitburg?? we could do that come summer :beerchug:

- the Aristo is sold now and the Eclipse is sold too(to a mate,who broke it,i fixed it,then he sold it to another mate,now its broken again..i might go fix it LOL)

I really need to know, is there a big performance difference?has any one owned both cars?- i dunno if i want another Automatic car again..

I know on the 300zx( drove one a few times) was dreadful on the auto.. drove a manual in comparison, a difference like Night and Day really.

No more convincing arguments? cmon guys, discuss this please .

raph
06-02-2010, 08:50 PM
The 3rd box is what I have in my car at the moment. The longer 5th gear is in all EVO 7's and EVO 8 5 speeds, ignoring the rally spec ones of course.

oh yeah,the us spec 8(not 8 MR) also had a 5spd ,but it was short just llike my eclipse - i then fitted a longer 5th (16% FTW!!!) and it made a huge difference.. mated to my mods of course, on the stock turbo it needed the shorter gears.

aboo
06-02-2010, 08:52 PM
This has been done to death raph.

In the words of nutter John search is your friend.

raph
06-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Just get yourself an auto you wont regret it.

You sir,do realise that kittens will die if you are wrong about that /bat :joker:

Its not a "slush box" then?

noo vroooom..oooooommmm.oooommmmm..ooommm ..

no USA TQ hollywood style where you feel the Torque in 1st and 2nd tops andf then nothing more?

def not a Slushy Autobox??

I know this thread is getting annoying..but i defo need to know- the Mrs says i can only have 1 toy at a time now .. so i need it to be the right one.

bradc
06-02-2010, 08:56 PM
The manual feels a lot more urgent because of the shorter gears, less weight and less power loss.

If you cruise at 160kmh often then I'd stay with a manual, do you regularly cruise at over 200kmh?

Beastlee
06-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Haven't been to Bitburg but have done the Nürburgring and the car was great. I was always anti-automatic but the VR-4 auto really is very good. I spend most of my time in tip-mode and have learnt to shift a split second before I need the gear to engage. When driving through town it is much easier to leave it in D and it will kickdown very quickly if you need a burst of speed.
I am near Mönchengladbach but travel to Ramstein-Meisenbach regularly and will most likely be bringing the VR-4 next time as I think there is a company that can make me a custom exhaust in stainless steel.

EDIT: Have read you subsequent comments and it's not a slushbox. I drove a manual when looking for my second VR-4 and it di feel quicker but I wasn't happy with the fact it meant higher revs at autobahn speeds. It will definitely depend on what your driving style and conditions would be. That said, if my autobox were to die then I would seriously consider a manual purely for the weight saving and the easier maintenance. If I went manual though I'd seriously like to go 6-speed or at least fit the longer ratio gears.

aboo
06-02-2010, 09:00 PM
You sir,do realise that kittens will die if you are wrong about that /bat :joker:

Its not a "slush box" then?

noo vroooom..oooooommmm.oooommmmm..ooommm ..

no USA TQ hollywood style where you feel the Torque in 1st and 2nd tops andf then nothing more?

def not a Slushy Autobox??

I know this thread is getting annoying..but i defo need to know- the Mrs says i can only have 1 toy at a time now .. so i need it to be the right one.Its one of the best autoboxes out there. I'v driven a few as my Dad can only drive autos & I had the same concerns as you but the auto in the VR4 is fantastic. Enough said.

raph
06-02-2010, 09:05 PM
1 more question..what does the Auto run in the 1/4? 14.5ish? and the Manual 14.0ish?

Beastlee
06-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Not sure on the 1/4 but the Auto does have one nice little trick if you want to do the drag runs..... LAUNCHING /rally!
Turn off TCL (where installed), apply left foot firmly on the brake, rev the car to approx 2500-3000rpm then release the left foot whilst firmly planting the right foot.... :)

WARNING: I accept no responsibility for a blown auto box, this will put high strain on the box and torque converter and shorten the life of the components. but it is an amazing feeling!

raph
06-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Haven't been to Bitburg but have done the Nürburgring and the car was great. I was always anti-automatic but the VR-4 auto really is very good. I spend most of my time in tip-mode and have learnt to shift a split second before I need the gear to engage. When driving through town it is much easier to leave it in D and it will kickdown very quickly if you need a burst of speed.
I am near Mönchengladbach but travel to Ramstein-Meisenbach regularly and will most likely be bringing the VR-4 next time as I think there is a company that can make me a custom exhaust in stainless steel.

EDIT: Have read you subsequent comments and it's not a slushbox. I drove a manual when looking for my second VR-4 and it di feel quicker but I wasn't happy with the fact it meant higher revs at autobahn speeds. It will definitely depend on what your driving style and conditions would be. That said, if my autobox were to die then I would seriously consider a manual purely for the weight saving and the easier maintenance. If I went manual though I'd seriously like to go 6-speed or at least fit the longer ratio gears.

Thats the thing,i like to cruise..relaxed cruising, but i love to drag race and do track days too.

decisions decisions ...sigh...

****Oh, you must be talking about VD-autotechnik or Auspuff Stein (aka "Midas")

Ive heard alot of good things about both companies,but ive never had them weld up something for me before.*****

bradc
06-02-2010, 09:14 PM
People in Aussie are getting high 13's from their manuals by dumping the clutch at around 4000rpm or so.

If you've got some money about you could buy an EVO 8-9 6 speed box and change the final drive on it. All of the advantages of short gearing from 2nd through to 5th but you get a nice long 6th as well :D

raph
06-02-2010, 09:17 PM
The transferecase and box bolts up? or do you mean the internals from the MR box..and swap em over to the legnum gearbox housing?

Turbo_Steve
06-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Frankly, if you want to get yourself a really sporty, fast, fun car, get yourself an Evo, and stop messing about with VR4s: that isn't what they're for.

If you want to get yourself a car that does a bit of everything, and is quick and fun (but not devastatingly fast) then you need a VR4.

And engine revs don't mean much: one of the reasons for the absoloutely pathetic fuel economy on the VR4 is because it's on boost very early....80mph it's already trying to make boost in an auto. Being this close to the boost threshold makes any exhaust, even a straight through one, a lot LOT quieter.

And the Autos DO use more fuel. I've come from an Evo running 350ish bhp and a 300ZX running in excess of 500bhp, and neither used as much fuel as my VR4 does under "brisk" driving, and long hauls.

People have reported 20+mpg, but only by keeping their speeds under 60mph and cruising gently.

The VR4 is a MUCH nicer car to do a long drive in, to live with day-to-day, and is far more practical and comfortable than the Evo. It sounds nicer too. It's also slower and uses more fuel.

raph
06-02-2010, 09:21 PM
But the technology freak in me says "take a look at the wizardry the auto has to offer" but the Track day fan says"u need the manual"

The reason being the aristo box let me down a few times, shifted because i let off the throttle a bit ... ever had an auto shift up on you while doing a stylish power slide? very very embarrassing :-(

Id launch the aristio at 1800 rpms..(let the brake go 1/2 sec before..rear would squat,then warp drive!!)

raph
06-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Frankly, if you want to get yourself a really sporty, fast, fun car, get yourself an Evo, and stop messing about with VR4s: that isn't what they're for.

If you want to get yourself a car that does a bit of everything, and is quick and fun (but not devastatingly fast) then you need a VR4.

And engine revs don't mean much: one of the reasons for the absoloutely pathetic fuel economy on the VR4 is because it's on boost very early....80mph it's already trying to make boost in an auto. Being this close to the boost threshold makes any exhaust, even a straight through one, a lot LOT quieter.

And the Autos DO use more fuel. I've come from an Evo running 350ish bhp and a 300ZX running in excess of 500bhp, and neither used as much fuel as my VR4 does under "brisk" driving, and long hauls.

People have reported 20+mpg, but only by keeping their speeds under 60mph and cruising gently.

The VR4 is a MUCH nicer car to do a long drive in, to live with day-to-day, and is far more practical and comfortable than the Evo. It sounds nicer too. It's also slower and uses more fuel.

Thats the thing.. my eclipse used 11-13l/100kms stock, then 16l/100km on the evo 16g, Then down to 10-11ishL/100km on the big 57 trim turbo ..the more power i made,the less fuel was used(in normal driving conditions) .. That argument speaks for a Manual

The Aristo used fuel no matter how you drove it.. kinda annoying LOL

Turbo_Steve
06-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Well, a remap, some bigger turbos and a manual box and you're sorted.

TBH I think perhaps you've focussed on the wrong aspects of my post, however. If you're after a manic point - to - point car that's cheap to tune and dead fast...it isn't the VR4.

With the VR4, once you cross the 340bhp threshold, you're looking at custom pipes, manifolds, careful turbo selection, find space for them under the bonnet, and a standalone ECU. Which will equal, if not exceed, the value of the car you just purchased.

With the Evo, you lob a bigger turbo and injectors on it, and a PowerFC or ECUTEK, and job is done.

ANTHONY
06-02-2010, 11:35 PM
or in the words of blue peter (heres one we made earlier) go and by gowf's.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41312

Turbo_Steve
06-02-2010, 11:36 PM
An excellent suggestion!

aboo
06-02-2010, 11:45 PM
I have to agree. Evo or Gowfs. There are your choices.

raph
07-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Well, a remap, some bigger turbos and a manual box and you're sorted.

TBH I think perhaps you've focussed on the wrong aspects of my post, however. If you're after a manic point - to - point car that's cheap to tune and dead fast...it isn't the VR4.

With the VR4, once you cross the 340bhp threshold, you're looking at custom pipes, manifolds, careful turbo selection, find space for them under the bonnet, and a standalone ECU. Which will equal, if not exceed, the value of the car you just purchased.

With the Evo, you lob a bigger turbo and injectors on it, and a PowerFC or ECUTEK, and job is done.

i know, but i cant get another evo type car, as this thing needs to be a DD and not a garage queen/drag day car ( and it has to handle hardware store duty,as well as small trailer for picking up supplies from the hardware store... growing up sucks !)

(and i cant have a rx7 or anything simular right now because im supposed to be fixing up the house..not tinkering with cars again... growing up sux!!)

Oh, ive never bought a car previously moddified from someone else/never will ..i like things to break because of my fiddling around /haz

I figure a manual /FL and remap it myself. :stop: Decision made!

Oh, are there any differences in the rear floor pan of the VR-4s compared to the FWD models? as i need to fit a tow hitch with a removable hook/foldaway hook.

bradc
07-02-2010, 07:35 AM
Well as an all rounder, there is nothing better than a VR-4 :)

I've had 30mpg out of my manual ones numerous times, typically an auto will get 2-3mpg less on a fun. All the time while being more fun :D

I am unsure if there is a big difference right at the rear of the car going from fwd to 4wd, all I can tell you is that there are a lot of VR-4's and JDM 4wd n/a's out and about with towbars

Beastlee
07-02-2010, 12:37 PM
The FL looks different at the rear but is the mounting the same for a tow-hook? If they are then it's not like any other model got the design change.

Did the FL Manuals have AYC? I lose track of what each version is. LOL

raph
07-02-2010, 12:46 PM
i was just looking at tow bars, and the only ones with removable hitches listed are from 1994-1997, and 1997 -03 are only with fixed hitches?? im gonna email a few companies and ask bout a removable hitch

The newer cars with foldaway hitches are soo cool (they flip out of view on the push of a button)

Turbo_Steve
07-02-2010, 12:50 PM
well, if you're going to sit in traffic with it, the auto is the better car.
If it's only going on faster roads, the manual is more suitable.

The auto is a perfectly good track/drift/fun box, as you've got the tiptronic mode to stop it changing up.

miller
07-02-2010, 01:01 PM
But the technology freak in me says "take a look at the wizardry the auto has to offer" but the Track day fan says"u need the manual"

You my friend need to sit in my passenger seat on track and i will prove to you from your statement above that the Auto will satisfy every bit of your above statement.

Beastlee
07-02-2010, 01:08 PM
You my friend need to sit in my passenger seat on track and i will prove to you from your statement above that the Auto will satisfy every bit of your above statement.

Mike, where's the youtube vid of your Ring lap with Tommie last year? /rally

raph
07-02-2010, 02:02 PM
well, if you're going to sit in traffic with it, the auto is the better car.
If it's only going on faster roads, the manual is more suitable.

The auto is a perfectly good track/drift/fun box, as you've got the tiptronic mode to stop it changing up.

it doesnt force an upchange /downchange like outher tip boxes?

raph
07-02-2010, 02:03 PM
bring on the vids!

edit: heavy traffic is unheard of where i live ..no stop n go etc (as i live in a very small town)

Beastlee
07-02-2010, 02:21 PM
It will not change up in tip mode, it will sit at the rev-limiter as long as you let it or until the engine blows, but if you slow down below the range it will downshift as necessary. It will let you slow down quite a way in 3rd too.
In tip you can also force it to use 2nd to pull away in slippy conditions.

The only thing I would like ot do with my autobox is to add the paddles so I can shift from the wheel.

Turbo_Steve
07-02-2010, 02:27 PM
The Tip will only shift down a gear if it thinks that what you're doing will stall the engine.

Otherwise, you're on your own.

In fact, peoples wives have inadvertently flopped the Auto over in to tip mode and driven it to their Mums (an hour away) and hurt the box as it stayed in 1st the whole way.

It's closer to DSG in operation than an Auto box, though technologically there is no resemblance.

Turbo_Steve
07-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Oops. Lee beat me to it.

Beastlee
07-02-2010, 02:34 PM
I think this is the one, it will give you an idea how an auto Legnum goesw around the ring anyway....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNmSwVsG-Xw

raph
07-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Q: ever noticed how modern tip boxes etc have the + and - the wrong way around..? has anyone ever switched around the switches7whatever to make you have to pull to shift up and push to shift down?

Nice vid :-)

Beastlee
07-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Raph, there's a guide on it here. haven't done mine but considered it just to protect the box when I forget it's in drive and drop it into neutral with the throttle wide open!