PDA

View Full Version : Runbling from rear end at low speed?

YeeHaa67
08-02-2010, 01:02 AM
Hi all I have just bought a Legnum VR4, one very happy chap, well I was but I am getting a rumbling from the rear end at low speeds 40 ish, I dont seem to get it at any other time but I am concerned.

I do hope someone can help, or put my mind at ease.

Cheers fellas

JT

bradc
08-02-2010, 09:40 AM
If it is around corners then change the AYC fluid. If you get AYC lights up in a straight line then your car needs to have it's AYC fluid changed, as well as the tyres looking at!

If it is in a straight line but without any AYC bars coming up then I'd guess a wheel bearing.

YeeHaa67
08-02-2010, 10:07 AM
If it is around corners then change the AYC fluid. If you get AYC lights up in a straight line then your car needs to have it's AYC fluid changed, as well as the tyres looking at!

If it is in a straight line but without any AYC bars coming up then I'd guess a wheel bearing.

Hi thanks for the comment but in all honesty its more like going over rumble strips, I only seem to get it going in a straight line, not noticed it going around corners, and as i have said it only seems to happen a low speed.

Nick Mann
08-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Check the rear wheel bearings very carefully - the handbrake shoes significantly limit the play you can feel, even when the bearing is completely shot.

Other potentials could include brakes or tyres. I had a set of very noisy tyres on a car once, I'd never have believed how much of a noise badly worn tyres can make. I assume that they had been on the front of the car when the tracking was out, then moved to the rear or something. Worth ckecking, though.

waxer
09-02-2010, 12:02 AM
I have a confession to make. I had a similar problem, but worst at around 60mph. I was late changing the fluid in the AYC, and was convinced the diff was about to explode. I even started a thread on here about it.
Then my mate Jimbo took it for a run up a wide straight, and started throwing the car left and right. Every time he went left, the noise stopped, so he said it was the right-hand wheel-bearing.
I jacked the car up, and couldn't feel any play whatsoever, but I changed the bearing anyway, and guess what? Problem solved.
So perhaps the Mods could remove my thread, if they haven't already? And YeeHaa, try throwing it left and right a bit on a quiet straight.

Nick Mann
09-02-2010, 12:04 AM
and couldn't feel any play whatsoever

Yep - really difficult to feel play with the handbrake shoes still in place. And yes, even with the handbrake off!! /pan

waxer
09-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Yep - really difficult to feel play with the handbrake shoes still in place. And yes, even with the handbrake off!! /pan

I didn't even know it used shoes 'til I pulled it apart and springs flew everywhere. I remember my Uncle's Alpha Romeo had a similar arrangement but I thought we'd moved on since then.

AlanDITD
09-02-2010, 02:01 AM
I didn't even know it used shoes 'til I pulled it apart and springs flew everywhere. I remember my Uncle's Alpha Romeo had a similar arrangement but I thought we'd moved on since then.

Yeah to stupid electronic ones like the insignia has, i hate that car sooo much, and the handbrake was one of the reasons

YeeHaa67
09-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Car goes in on Monday to have the transmission fluides replaced, decided to take it into Mitsubishi as hopefully they know what they are doing!

Quoted £120 not sure if thats reasonable or not?

YeeHaa67
09-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Will look at wheel bearings whils its in the garage and see what they say

bradc
09-02-2010, 10:25 AM
If they are putting in Dexron III then at best they are using completely the wrong oil and at worst will destroy the transmission in short order.

Make sure they are using SP3 and only SP3.

Using anything else will kill the gearbox.

YeeHaa67
09-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Is the SP3 oli you refer to freely available here in the UK? sorry to sound a bit dim but very new to owning this vehicle, I guess we have to assume that a Mitsubishi main dealer would hopefully know what they are doing. fingers crossed!!

Nutter_John
09-02-2010, 12:25 PM
If you are putting it in to a Mitsi main delaer they will use the correct fuild , yes SP3 is available but people tend to use the better version produced by AMSoil

YeeHaa67
09-02-2010, 12:31 PM
If you are putting it in to a Mitsi main delaer they will use the correct fuild , yes SP3 is available but people tend to use the better version produced by AMSoil

Cheers for the response, I really want to keep the car in tip top condition and I guess that this one is going to keep me busy, I just hope that after the oil change it sorts out the rumbeling.

YeeHaa67
09-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Is the SP3 oli you refer to freely available here in the UK? sorry to sound a bit dim but very new to owning this vehicle, I guess we have to assume that a Mitsubishi main dealer would hopefully know what they are doing. fingers crossed!!

Thanks for the info fella