PDA

View Full Version : three 52mm gauges in the clock bay - it's possible!

crazydriver81
09-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Hi folks!

Just got round to install my christmas present (three 52mm gauges) last weekend. They are intalled in the clock bay now...

But from the beginning. I've ordered the gauge holder from Mark in Holland (MD Performance - 39 EUR plus p&p). The webshop says that there is some Dremel Tool work necessary to fit all three gauges but that was fine to me. Three weeks later the holder arrived. I tried to fit the holder, but the result was pi$$ing me of... There were no instructions what to cut how to fit the holder so this piece was worthless and I spent 50 EUR on it... :sad3:

As I wanted to go down the route I decided to fit the gauges w/o the holder. So I started to cut my dashboard :o to fit the gauges. You need to start from the left side. On the very left you could only mount a boost pressure gauge, because these gauges are shorter than a voltage or oil temp gauge.

In the end, it looked like shown below. But I've cut to much from the right side of the clock bay. So I had to make a cover for this. :( ATTENTION: There is a ventilation duct directly under the clockbay. Please make sure to not harm it. It is made of flexible plastic so you can gently(!) push it out of way.

Last but not least I covered the lower holes (where the clock clips in) with black insulating tape. I used the holder and cut this part down to only cover the space between the gauges (so it was not 100% worthless). I fixed it with some hot melt glue.

The result is shown below. The clock cover still sits in place and is held by the OE clips properly.
Only thing is, that you have to turn the gauges 45 degrees against clock direction. Otherwise you will not see the necessary values (voltage, boost, oil temp), unless you are 1.60m or less... /bananaroc

The good thing is, that you will not see anything of this mod, if you put the clock back in place. So no irreversible mod... :2thumbsup

One last remark. If you think this is madness :vogel: then you are absolutely right. But you can fit two 52mm gauges without cutting anything out of your dashboard! So if you do not want to struggle with cutting parts of your car, then this might be an option.

Your comments are welcome. /woot2

Atik
09-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Looking good. What gauges do you have there?

crazydriver81
09-02-2010, 12:36 PM
left to right - boost / voltage / oiltemp (although boost is currently a vacuum display :()

by the way, the boost gauge can be read very good from the drivers place. It's only a bad camera angle...

The gauges are from "RaidHP" and it's the so called "Diamond series". They have Scan-function on start-up and when switched off, the gauge face is mirrored.

Turbo_Steve
09-02-2010, 04:21 PM
How'd you tell the time? :D

Looking cool, man - very factory.

crazydriver81
09-02-2010, 04:30 PM
How'd you tell the time? :D

Looking cool, man - very factory.

Thanks Steve! Time is displayed on the headunit as well. And the headunit does not loose the time like my clock did... :flamed:

MarkSanne
10-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Looks good Stefan! Did you receive the printed instruction with the gauge holder? If not... then it can be downloaded here:

http://www.mdperformance.nl/images/md/installation%20instructions%20for%20gauge%20holder .doc

crazydriver81
10-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Hi Mark!

No, I've just received the holder itself, nothing more. :(

With this instruction it would have been easier. But you should inform people before they buy the holder about the action necessary to fit it. ;) However, I really much like the look of the gauges in the clock bay, although the gauges are difficult to read from.

I suggest to take some better photos to show, what to cut from the dashboard. It's hard to see from the pic in the instructions.

MarkSanne
10-02-2010, 03:17 PM
On the new webshop the instructions and warnings are improved. Better pictures are quite hard to make as there is almost no space for a camera and looking through the windscreen is difficult too. But you're right: 2 gauges will fit quite easily, 3 gauges is madness!

WizardKing
11-02-2010, 04:59 AM
Looks very good, Crazydriver :thumbsup:
Keep an eye out for the hot-melt glue, though. I used loads of the stuff to hold my gauges at an angle. All was fine until the icy weather arrived, after a few hours of driving with the heater on full . . . I'm sure you can guess what happened !
No big drama, though. I'll either put some tape over when I redo it or use some epoxy-resin.

I'd have finished mine sooner if only I knew back then just how much dash to hack away. I started off with just a shave of plastic, then more, a bit more, hacked a fair bit . . . ended up at almost as far forwards(towards centre of cabin) as where the clock's perspex originally came to.

3 gauges is madness!

You started it, though /catfight !!
lol

Fully
14-02-2010, 01:32 AM
OMGWTF a full tank of gas!

Nice job :)

I have 2 in mine. Not a fan of cutting the dash up.
How do you find reading the closest one to you?
As pictures never do this mod justice as you can see a lot more of them as you are looking down on them.