PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Viento being Reborn to a 25ST

VR4WGN
10-02-2010, 06:20 AM
well Brad n i collected a smokey Viento the other Weekend and diagnosed a smashed gearbox(reverse) and a dog Engine that smokes worse than a HOT BOX..
after acid bathing almost evrything i got frustrated and pulled the engine out and left her whilst i saulked in the corner for a week.

now over my little rampage i am giving her a new life as a 25ST(runningear from a V6 24),manual Trans and 2.5 V6 Engine.

she will however be FWD Legnum but thats not a problem..
tha meain highlight is the fac tit will be the ONLY Facelift 25ST i have Ever known of..
Luxury with a sunroof and some torque and a facelift shell wont be a boring car ..

unfortunatly it ounds like its pre-Sold before its even built...(YAY) for $6500

if you want pics ill get staged otherwise you know what they look like lol,,ill upload completed pics too once resprayed cornerpanels have been done tho

bradc
10-02-2010, 07:01 AM
Cool, so there will be two facelift V6 non-turbo Legnums running around soon - in the entire world! Your new 25 Custom and my 25 ST-R :)

And shortly your VR-M Mivec too :D

pezza
10-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Cool, so there will be two facelift V6 non-turbo Legnums running around soon - in the entire world! Your new 25 Custom and my 25 ST-R :)

And shortly your VR-M Mivec too :D

Along with PSB's fine looking legnum VDi :-)

VR4WGN
10-02-2010, 06:44 PM
what the HELL is a VDi? is it a mitsi powerplant of Mitsi?

psbarham
10-02-2010, 07:06 PM
what the HELL is a VDi? is it a mitsi powerplant of Mitsi?

its a 1.8 gdi viento facelift legnum with a v6 24 engine and manual gearbox in it. :dance:

bradc
10-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Ohh thats right, I had forgotten about that!

Quinton, originally it was a 1.8 GDI and he has put a V6 2.5 in it, hence calling it a VDI. It doesn't use any gdi technology though, it is the same thing that you are doing.

psbarham
10-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Ohh thats right, I had forgotten about that!

Quinton, originally it was a 1.8 GDI and he has put a V6 2.5 in it, hence calling it a VDI. It doesn't use any gdi technology though, it is the same thing that you are doing.

typical bloody Kiwi's always forgetting that the brits beat them again /Devil5

another 1st from the flatlands of the UK

confusis
10-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Uk did it first... but NZ will do it better :D

bradc
11-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Indeed, mine for example will have 4wd :D

VR4WGN
11-02-2010, 09:30 AM
and a sunrooooof!!!!!!

BTW all is in and good,but i have hit a brick wall with the internal wiring loom,the Dash loom,the impact bar loom and i have a few plugs that differ and dont match.. anyone had this problem before? im gutted,i might haveto change the fusebox in the engine bay aswell maby.. few minor hickups re fule rail hose and return hose etc,and power steer hoses,otherise all going good,just finished for the evening tho...

bradc
11-02-2010, 09:43 AM
I'd suggest you change the entire loom to a V6 loom if at all possible. You'll also need to change the dash as a 4 cylinder tacho won't work with a 6 cylinder engine.

psbarham
11-02-2010, 06:07 PM
so would NZ like some help?

all the wiring in the front of the car needs changing, the loom across the crash bar, the engine loom, and the 2 sections that run down the inner wings and the fuse box, also if your car is facelift and the donor car is pfl then you will need to change the aircon filter housing as the pressure switch is different, the f/l has 3 wires and the pfl has 2.
also the fuel pump wire in the block in the drivers side A pillar is in the wrong place so that needs changing, i think its the black and white wire, also there is some issues with the wiring to the rear lights.

Oh and mine had a moon roof too. and a hi viz vr4 dash :D

VR4WGN
11-02-2010, 06:23 PM
thanx guys.
i could not sleep thinking bout it all night,i did however decide to rip out my ST-r wiring loom and install that into the car,owever am i able to keep the engine loom or should i need to change this to the ST-r loom too?? im a little dissapointed really,its not a hard job just VERY time consuming and i dont have time as im buzi helping build this EVO-X Rally car and my time goes into this

VR4WGN
11-02-2010, 06:30 PM
the donor car was a 1999 maroon V6-24,with a 260km dash,im hitting problems with Airbag wire colour diffrences,and other plugs round the steering wheel aswell.its annoying,out of all my conversions this is proving to be the worst!!

the fule rail and return is too short too,what did you mean more in detail about the fule box?

psbarham
11-02-2010, 06:39 PM
all the wiring had to be changed on mine, I still couldn't get my airbags to work, mainly because my front loom had the wiring for side airbags, so I disconnected them.

the only problem I had on the steering column plugs was the lack of inductive pickup thingy for the immobiliser so i fitted the column from the v6 doner car

VR4WGN
11-02-2010, 07:25 PM
i hink it will be best for me to take the ST-r Loom then and transplant it to the car maby.. dod you change the fule rail hoses over tho? and btw i apreciate the help.i did it to a Vineto(FL) converting to a VR4 but icant remember that long ago lol

psbarham
11-02-2010, 08:09 PM
i used the V6 rubber pipes and joined them to the steels above the subframe, the steels are all the same. and the extra return is just blanked off

VR4WGN
12-02-2010, 03:25 AM
ok im having a break onw lol til ltonight. i have succesfully removed the front side Looms,the crash impact bar loom,the dash,the engine/ecu loom form the st-r(but its auto)will this make any problems? im sure not,except for joining the Inhibitor switch tho..i just haveto take the guards off the Viento to remove the side front looms then im ready to do the wire swap,but before i do so i wan to do all the re-wiring mods i wanna do before ptnn it back in.

VR4WGN
12-02-2010, 10:49 AM
ok well i just got back from my workshop..

i have installed the complete ST-r front loom in the car,both side tower looms,engine loom,dash and the crash bar loom.
everything is hooked up except for plumming wich i will do tomorrow.
other than that im confident she will start(if i joined the 2 correct wires together from the IHB switch.
furhter tho,s its a n auto loom and theres a plug from the manula box tha ti ned to put on the auto loom maby or?
and it wont matter bout the other drive sensor plugs not connected will it?(ie, output sensor,input sensor,and what ever the other 1 was lol

bradc
12-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Awesome, let us know how it goes ;)

I think the connector coming from the manual box will be to let the car know it is in reverse so it 'bongs' when you select reverse and so that the reverse lights come on.

VR4WGN
13-02-2010, 05:47 AM
ok update!!!
Things are not so good in "quintons World" today...:lost:

went with a positive attitude to my workshop to complete the plumming and then fluid fills and start but was un succesfull./pale

after trying to start it i was not getting any luck.

i have changed the looms as discussed.
i have inspected all fittings are connected.
i have joined the IHB Wire
and she just swings but wont start!

i am at my witt nd on the verge of setting fire to the bloooooody thing!! Farkn GDI crappas!!!!!!!(well a shell atleast)

this is the 1st time i have been un succesfull in starting an engine afte rmany conversions iv done..

there are 3 connections now not in use rom the Auto Loom
youl lknow wich ones form the pics below,then aswell are the plugs i want connecters for now.
could someone help me work out wich wires to use for what??:uhoh2:

i know i think i know it all but i do not know and often get stuck but am too up myself to ask for help,but i ask now please help me.../nag

/Hmmm didnt someone mention something about a blue plug with 1 wire in the D/S firewall that needed changing??(fuel)

Lastly theis stray plug in the steering colum loom,does it have a home or not? i just cant remember anymore.. maby i needa stay away for a few days and clear my head and get some sleep as iv been having nightmares bout this car!!:vogel:

bradc
13-02-2010, 07:13 AM
I'd pop out a spark plug and see if it is firing first of all, and then check that the injectors are working.

psbarham
13-02-2010, 08:56 AM
check the fuel pump is working, thats exactly what mine did, i had to swap a wire round near the interior fuse box

VR4WGN
13-02-2010, 09:37 AM
check the fuel pump is working, thats exactly what mine did, i had to swap a wire round near the interior fuse box

is this th wire on the small blue block you were talking about?
is it maby located in a different slot to the Fl but still housed in the same type of block maby? or?

psbarham
13-02-2010, 10:20 AM
is this th wire on the small blue block you were talking about?
is it maby located in a different slot to the Fl but still housed in the same type of block maby? or?

basically, yes i'm sure its same block different hole.

All i did for test purposes was hotwire the fuel pump straight to the battery to check everything else works before finalising it all.

oh and for maximum flamage run the car with no down pipes /Devil5

VR4WGN
13-02-2010, 09:03 PM
hahhhhahahaha iv done this with a vr4 before,well drove it down the road n back,man the entire car vibrated a smile on my face thats how loud and good it sounded!!!!

ok after i spend some time with my other half today i will head out nd try sway this wire if its not making contact at all..

if it is not the problem i WILL CRY!!!!!!! wich i dont want to do,lol....

VR4WGN
13-02-2010, 09:15 PM
also did the car start after you fixed this wire dilemma?

psbarham
13-02-2010, 10:24 PM
also did the car start after you fixed this wire dilemma?

yup, worked perfectly

VR4WGN
14-02-2010, 07:59 AM
ok i have done so but have some dilemmas now.

Car Started YAY!!!!
but the fuel pump is constantly running even with the ign off.
the AC unit does not hold memory.
no Speedo Drive.
No Reverse Gear.
No Door "ajar" sound or lights on dash or uptop.

iv been asked to ask for a Pinout for the Auto ST-R and Manual ST-R so we can manually do the work

unless you guys have better understanding on wha ti should do,please do inform me.

this however WIL prolly be my LAST EVER GDI-Any PFL Drivetrain Convert ever(except mine)

NOT WORTH IT!~

psbarham
14-02-2010, 09:03 AM
fuel pump is connected to the wrong feed, 'tis easily done

the air con etc take a feed from the passenger side A pillar multi plugs and then through one of the ones in the middle of the dash, the A pillar ones are easy to mix up.

Speedo drive is probably a wrong connection, no reverse gear?????? gearbox buggered?

Door ajar, /Hmmm dunno about that one, possibly connected to the other fault.

as for not worth it, well i think it is, all the lovelyness of the V624 lump with manual box in a facelift legnum shell :smitten: If i hadn't found the manual vr4 then i would still be using mine now

VR4WGN
14-02-2010, 07:31 PM
fuel pump is connected to the wrong feed, 'tis easily done

the air con etc take a feed from the passenger side A pillar multi plugs and then through one of the ones in the middle of the dash, the A pillar ones are easy to mix up.

Speedo drive is probably a wrong connection, no reverse gear?????? gearbox buggered?

Door ajar, /Hmmm dunno about that one, possibly connected to the other fault.

as for not worth it, well i think it is, all the lovelyness of the V624 lump with manual box in a facelift legnum shell :smitten: If i hadn't found the manual vr4 then i would still be using mine now

i dont men it literally,i know you need to work hard to play hard but when you pre-prepped everything(including diary) for a simpl 2 day conversion that turns out to be a good week sofar,you ant to cry!!

ok Fuelpump has a black with white stripe wire goig from the pump to the firewall plug,this plug has a white with black stripe,blue with green(rear Window) and a blue with red,so iv tried switching them round and nothing works.

i looked at the PFL D/side front to rear loom and the fuel pump and theyr totally different to the FL,the PFL Pump unit is way more wired and complicted than the FL,so im a bit lost with this,is there another wire in the loom somewhere i can use to connect to the engine ign to create the open circuit when not running? or could it be a broken relay maby? if so where do i look?

the AC unitwould this be just merely a simple memory wire i should look for? or is it more thn this?

Speedo Drive what i mean here is that i dont have any plugs plugged into the gearbox so how will the dahs detect the kms??? Remembering iv used an Auto Loom.

and again i thank you for this,i think you deserve some more Rep in my eyes,been ever so helpfull

psbarham
15-02-2010, 07:49 AM
Strange that yours is being such a git, all i needed to do on mine was swap the wire over in the plug.

would it be worth taking a feed straight from the fuel pump relay which is one of those 2 that hides behind the stereo, again black & white wire I believe, and then connecting it straight to the fuel pump.

VR4WGN
15-02-2010, 07:03 PM
would this in turn bypass the relay? maby the relay is sticky tho??,funny tho it was driving in the ST-r 5 minutes before i pulled it out hahahha...

i want the car done this week but this evo racecar is taking up my week,grrr

psbarham
15-02-2010, 07:28 PM
would this in turn bypass the relay? maby the relay is sticky tho??,funny tho it was driving in the ST-r 5 minutes before i pulled it out hahahha...

i want the car done this week but this evo racecar is taking up my week,grrr

no take it from the output side of the relay.

did the car run when the fuel pump was connected straight to the battery?

VR4WGN
15-02-2010, 08:02 PM
i didnt connect it stright as when i swapped the wre round it was working constantly,hence why i think theres something weird going on,like i say thi is a first of this type of problem ever with a facelfit shell iv had.
something is almost constantly grounding it out when i plug the plug in.so i need somehting else thatll cut it when engine os off

wintertidenz
16-02-2010, 04:51 AM
Why don't you just run a new relay wire hooked into the ignition (guess this is where the fuel pump relay is triggered from?) and just put in a new relay? Wouldn't that be easier than screwing around with factory wiring?

VR4WGN
16-02-2010, 10:09 AM
if it ws for me then yea i would but as its for a customer id preffer it to be propper...

in between Glass setting today i have now got EVERYTHING WORKING correctly.
Fuel Pump
Reverse Lights
Output Sensor
A/C Unit

just got to adjust the clutch,stop a radiator hose that ont stop leaking round the top tank round the hose.grrrrrrrrr

and i drove it round today.

Love the Manual and the Induction sound is just superb!!!

Big thanx to PSBarham for all your help dude..
the Fuel pump wire had to be tracked through 3 vehicles before finding out where it the feed would come from,temp i used the rear power indow wire(Green/Yellow),but all sorted now..

hope to take it for a long drive on the weekend after Mike has resprayed..
Relief!!!

bradc
16-02-2010, 06:02 PM
The V6's do sound bloody good don't they. What gearbox did you use in the end?

VR4WGN
16-02-2010, 08:36 PM
i used the Drivetrain out of the V624 but the ECU from the Auto as the plugs differ