PDA

View Full Version : Tip - temporarily stop the annoying "door's open and the key's in" ping.

Jesus-Ninja
10-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Apologies if this is a repost.

I'm doing the rack today, which is easiest with the keys in to stop the steering lock, but the ping with the door open is really annoying.

What I've discovered is that you can slowly pull the key out enough that the pinging stops, but not so much that the steering lock will engage. Then push the key back in and you're set (until the next time you turn it to acc.)

HTH.

Davezj
10-02-2010, 02:36 PM
excellent tip not found that one before.

good luck with the rack!

tip for the rack :-
when you drop the subframe down to get the rack out the drivers wheel arch and find there is still not quite enough room, be very careful where you shove the pribar to get the extra force to push the sub frame down a bit more. the brake pipe for the back run along the drivers side of the car and it is very easy to trap them under the end of the pribar depending how long it is.

if you are looking at the arch straight on the the pipes are under the chassis at the 10ish position.

Atik
10-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Can you not put a bit of tape over the springy thing in the door shut that picks up that the door is open?

Jesus-Ninja
10-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Can you not put a bit of tape over the springy thing in the door shut that picks up that the door is open?

I suppose it would, yes! Doh!

Xenon
10-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Great tip!

I'll check it out if it will work on mine too! Thnx!

Jesus-Ninja
10-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Just realised though that because of the lack of a beep, I didn't close the door, and so the interior light has been on all this time. Grrr!

bradc
10-02-2010, 07:11 PM
All 8G's do that, pull the key out and put it back in and it won't beep again :)

Jesus-Ninja
10-02-2010, 07:15 PM
All 8G's do that, pull the key out and put it back in and it won't beep again :)

But if you pull the key right out, the steering lock will then engage. I wanted the door open, with no steering lock on, so you have to pull it out a bit. :)