PDA

View Full Version : wideband o2 sensor and aftermarket ecus

Joikale
10-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Hi

I'm thinking of changing my ecu in to an aftermarket one. Which ecus and wideband lambdas do work well together? Do they all? I'm asking because I was thinking of getting a wideband first and then an aftermarket ecu.

Do aftermarket ECUs understand wideband o2 signal without any fiddling?

Thanks mates!

-Joikale-

Turbo_Steve
10-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Wideband lambda sensor should include a meter of somekind. These will usually output both wideband and narrowband outputs.

Your aftermarket ECU should at least be able to use the narrowband for cruise.

If it's a good one that will map to AFR targets (E.g. Motech, Autronic, possibly ViPec) then it will need the wideband input: how these are accepted can vary, but most will actually accept a straight 0-5v analogue input.

Joikale
10-02-2010, 10:14 PM
I am actually thinking Haltech E11 as ecu. Dunno what would be a good alternative for a wideband lambda though as I don't have any experience with those yet...

Thanks Turbo Steve

-Joikale-

BTW: you peeps know any reliable seller of Haltech in UK, so I could get a price?

PM if you do, thanks again fellas!

Turbo_Steve
11-02-2010, 12:35 AM
Have you considered a ViPec? It's plug-and-play, and will take your wideband config too.

Have a chat to Eurospec - from what I've seen it's an excellent product.

Joikale
11-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Eurospec do not sell vipec to Finland, I have asked. I should contact local dealer and they double the price so not interested.

Of course if you're willing to buy it for me, then send it over.

Gowf
11-02-2010, 12:06 PM
As for wideband i wouldnt worry too much about having a gauge, unless of course your mapping it yourself.

The plx is more than up to the job, and relatively inexpensive when compared to others. With the standalones you just need the wideband, you can ignore the narrowband output of the sensor (although it has the facility incase you were retaining your stock ecu). It will give wideband feedback to the ecu, thus doing a far better job than the narrowband (although the cycling at cruise is also for thermal management of catalytic convertors as well as for keeping your fuel trimmed correctly).