PDA

View Full Version : How do some companies survive?

WildCards
11-02-2010, 01:42 PM
I've had a man around this morning to service our hoover, not something i'd normally do, but they called and offered me a service for £10. Obviously I thought it was a little fishy and fully expected the 'Oh it's buggered you'll have to give us £XXX to fix it now for you' and was prepared to pay no heed to this. Our hoover is 3 years old and shamefully doesn't get much TLC, I think i've cleaned the filters once or twice and it's generally full of dog hair.

Chap arrives, proceeds to take the hoover to bits whilst I made him a cuppa and I thought i'd hang around making small talk while he did his job, just incase. Anyway, after 10 minutes it's in pieces and he's started his scripted spiel about what is broken and what should be replaced, the clutch, the roller and both filters, at a cost of £150! Bare in mind the vacuum works faultlessly, we've had no issues at all with.

He then continues to try and sell me a service plan, which on top of the £150 he wants will cost me another £72 over the year. I asked him how much a new one would be and he claimed about £200, which is about right. He didn't seem to twig that he was asking for £222 though and was most put out when I declined his generous offer and asked him to put it all back together.

He spent a further 30 minutes cleaning my hoover and putting it back together only for me to give him a solitary crisp ten pound note and bid him farewell.

Are other people considerably more stupid than me? (I wouldn't have thought so, I can be pretty stupid) and fall for this bollocks or do you think this company is trying to give something back to the community?

P.S. I've just looked on ebay and I can buy the parts he wanted £150 for, for £42 delivered. So i've bought the filters only and will replace them myself when they turn up, they were £12.

Nutter_John
11-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Simple answer is that there are far too many stupid people in the world

miller
11-02-2010, 01:53 PM
where is Darwin when you need him lol

Davezj
11-02-2010, 02:01 PM
i have just serviced my DC07 dyson last night with a kit that cost £37 inc delivery. for that you got the:-
1. hepa filter
2. pre motor filter
3. new internal flex pipe (the one that slits, from brush area to main body of vac underneath)
4. new external extendy pipe that goes up the back of the vac.
5. a new brush roller.

what a difference like a new vac, stands the pipe in the carpet up right like it did when it was new.

they even do a kit with all the above and a new motor on top of that for £57 delivered.

i went down the market the week before thinking i will get a new (cheap) external extendy pipe as mine has split many times, and he wanted £30 just for that.

Spirit
11-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah we always service our DC-07's ourselves too, makes a big difference.

As NJ says, too many gullible people out there /yes

Atik
11-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Whats wrong with a good old Henry hoover? Mine has been going strong for over a decade! And all that needs changing is the bags!

Had a £250 Dyson a few years ago which died after a year and half so we went back to Henry!

miller
11-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Whats wrong with a good old Henry hoover? Mine has been going strong for over a decade! And all that needs changing is the bags!

Had a £250 Dyson a few years ago which died after a year and half so we went back to Henry!

I chucked my Henry hoover out after the France v Ireland World Cup qualifier debacle :monkey:

Atik
11-02-2010, 04:05 PM
LOL

[Sorry Mike, I'd never though of that]

Get the pink one instead then?

WildCards
11-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Get the pink one instead then?

Bit gay non?

Turbo_Steve
11-02-2010, 06:13 PM
I have to say that I've had to use 4 or 5 dysons now, and they are the most overrated things I have ever clapped my eyes on. Sure they were the first with a centrifuge.....but everyone else has got one now!

After the barrel split on our last dyson, I finally managed to convince the boss that we needed to buy a cheap, £50 japanese designed thingy. In the end we got a morphy richards. It's got a couple of design niggles, but then so did the dyson. It's 100 times lighter (if not more!) and just as powerful, and it has a nice centrifuge in it.

I'm bemused as to why people buy Dysons? They weigh half a ton each, and whilst they have a powerful motor and are bagless....so are everyone elses hoovers these days?

The whole reliability issue has been raised, as has the fact that it's easier to "service" a Dyson for around £50, but that's actually what my non-dyson, non power-lifter-spec Morphy Richards cost me? So even if it lasts me a year (and I reckon it'll last me exactly 7 days past 3 years, as that's how long the manufacturers extended warranty is available for) then I could buy a new hoover every year for 3 years and STILL be cheaper than the Dyson!

I'm full of admiration for Dyson himself, but I just can't see the price making any sense? It's not like they actually make the hoovering any easier?
Am I missing something?

Atik
11-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Well said that man!

VR457
11-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Miele.

pedro
11-02-2010, 08:09 PM
I totally agree with the henry!!
Ive got an old metal numatic (Henry without the old eyes and mouth) for work and it gets a battering in the back of the transit and sucks up rubble and sawdust all day long!!! It sucks !!!!/lol

Speaking of gullible, my mum bought a kirby from a sales person for about 1200 quid once ?!?!? It lasted about 2 weeks before trims n stuff started to break, piece of over priced crap!!

My ex girlfriend used to use her henry without a bag and when the filter got dirty...... she'd take out the filter...... re-assemble poor henners...... and hoover the filter clean with it !!!!!!! Hence why shes an Ex !!! stupid moo!!

Nutter_John
11-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Kirby , I could not remember there name as I was going to reference them along with stupid people :) ( no offence to you Mum Pedro )

Ryan
11-02-2010, 08:23 PM
I never thought I'd see the day where there'd be a thread devoted entirely to vacuum cleaners... :p

WildCards
11-02-2010, 08:29 PM
I have to say that I've had to use 4 or 5 dysons now, and they are the most overrated things I have ever clapped my eyes on...

Our experience has been quite the opposite yo your Steve, in the three years prior to buying the Dyson we went through 1 hoover per year, the first was an el cheapo brand, the second was slightly more money but I forget the name and the third was a Hoover 'The One' £300 odd quids worth of Dyson competitor with similiar technology and all the gubbins. In a nutshell, it was shyte.

Our Dyson has been with us for just over 3 years now, it does it's job admirably, can suck a golf ball through a hose pipe and my 9 year old can carry it up the stairs if he's asked.

Speaking of gullible, my mum bought a kirby from a sales person for about 1200 quid once ?!?!? It lasted about 2 weeks before trims n stuff started to break, piece of over priced crap!!

My family must be very lucky with Vacuums or something, again my experience has been quite the opposite. My mum bought a Kirby about 10 years ago and it's a fantastic bit of kit, levels of suction only a black hole can produce and bomb proof build quality. It however does weigh has much as a Sherman tank so it only used to come out for proper hoovering days, all other times she used her... Dyson.

How exciting, CVR4 men talking about vacuum cleaners. Mods, please delete this thread before i'm found out! :end:

pedro
11-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Kirby , I could not remember there name as I was going to reference them along with stupid people :) ( no offence to you Mum Pedro )
Dont worry John she already knows !! /lol

psbarham
11-02-2010, 10:24 PM

we've got one you cheeky git, but don't worry we didn't pay anywhere near the asking price, i know someone who sells them so got a hooge discount, they wanted £2k+ i got it into the dyson price range :D
and as steve says they are bomb proof ours has been down the stairs 2 or 3 times now once more and i think we can have patio doors, and it could suck start one of our tankers.

SGHOM
11-02-2010, 10:35 PM
All proffesional cleaners, builders, trades people use henry's.
Nuff said.

WildCards
11-02-2010, 11:07 PM
All proffesional cleaners, builders, trades people use henry's.
Nuff said.

That they're cheap?

aboo
11-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Whats a vacuum cleaners?

Is that what the wife pushes around the house that makes a lot of noise?/Devil5

Nutter_John
11-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Whats a vacuum cleaners?

Is that what the wife pushes around the house that makes a lot of noise?/Devil5

No Andy thats your kids she is pushing around :)

aboo
11-02-2010, 11:29 PM
No Andy thats your kids she is pushing around :)
Ok so whats a vacumm cleaner then?

Nutter_John
11-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Its the thing that sucks things up

aboo
11-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Its the thing that sucks things upThought that was the Wife.

Nutter_John
11-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Hmmm not sure what a vacumn cleaner is , I know you can fit a gauge to show how well it sucks

aboo
11-02-2010, 11:41 PM
So your talking about the car then?

I want the number of the guy who will take it apart & put it back together for a tenner then.

I could do the work I need doing in between.

Davezj
12-02-2010, 12:24 AM
we have two dyson's one is an original dc01 must be 12years old now and i use it for......

wait for it......

hoovering the garden, yes i said hoovering the garden but only after i have been doing woodwork or metalwork.

the other dyson is a DC07 "click" which is powder pink, lilac and fusher pink. the colour scheme was designed by a 4 year old girl aparently, and when you bought one, Mr dyson donated £30 (i think) to the "click charity" which we thought was nice.
But the main reason for getting it was my wife wanted it as she liked the colours and if she is happy i am happy.

WildCards
12-02-2010, 12:30 AM
Hmmm not sure what a vacumn cleaner is , I know you can fit a gauge to show how well it sucks

Hmm, is this a code?

Vacuum Cleaner = woman
Gauge = me?

ba55nmc
12-02-2010, 12:47 AM

Ha ha.. i worked for Kirby in the VERY dim and distant past!! endured 2 weeks before i concluded i was never gonna be a salesman and it was all a crock of ****!
(no offence to your mate Paul.) The office i was associated with was bad news.. the whole show was a scam to mug people into buying the things.. i didnt like they way the operated at all.. Hopefully not all the company is like that, but i couldnt say.
Anyway, best of luck to those who have them and they still work!
I think i'll stick to my VAX!! seems to work fine.
/Elmo

elnevio
12-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Haha! What a thread! /lol

I have a Henry in the garage that I inherited from our builders five years ago. It had clearly already had a hard life, but it mainly gets used for car hoovering and clearing up sawdust, etc. Didn't have a bag in it when I got it. Still doesn't. And still works. Just empty it every now and again, and bash some of the dust out of the pre-Neolithic (probably) filter at the same time.

The other thing about little Henry - very quiet. :zzz: That's one of the reasons why they are used by office cleaners...

:rabbit: