PDA

View Full Version : Twitchy back end

VR4Kaos
13-02-2010, 10:46 AM
why is my ass end so twichy it seem to want to kick out all the time i got a long sweapin bend near me thay i have gone round with confidence at silly speeds but when i try it in me legnum it wants to go round it sideways ??????/juggle

psbarham
13-02-2010, 10:54 AM
**** tyres?
**** alignment?
ayc not working?
**** suspension?

VR4Kaos
13-02-2010, 11:03 AM
the ayc is lighting up dose this men its working or will it light up in anycase must admitthe rear tyer s are a lil cheap i have toyo's on fronts and arrowward on the rears all do have same tyer depth tho

Nutter_John
13-02-2010, 11:05 AM
how many lights are up ,. if it aint three lights thenm you ain't trying

Better tyress on the rears will make all the difference

VR4Kaos
13-02-2010, 11:10 AM
i can get em all lit up hahaha oj shall swap it all around i think so toyo's are on the rears think them arrowward's are about £2 a tyer

Nutter_John
13-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Karl I mean , having 4 good tyres is better than 2 good ones and 2 unknown ones

chris g
13-02-2010, 11:14 AM
If you can get them 'all lit up' and rubbish rear tyres beware it letting go...

...quickly...

VR4Kaos
13-02-2010, 11:17 AM
i have no doubts there N-J but got a lil problem financially a new member of the family will be arriving in april so every thing will have to be on a shoe string for nxt couple of monthes ;)

Louis
13-02-2010, 11:18 AM
you need good rear tyres.
Try swapping the front tyres onto the back to see if it improves, be careful!

VR4Kaos
13-02-2010, 11:20 AM
i know chris it feels like it wants to 360 even when i turn into a side road powering into it can be i lil scary lol

VR4Kaos
13-02-2010, 11:21 AM
thants the plan louis gone through two pairs of underpant already this week hahaha ;)

WizardKing
13-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Must be the naff tyres, I've only managed to light up 3 bars in the snow [at least as far as I've noticed.] Mind you, that was often in a straight line !

I have noticed that on spirited cornering the back definitely steps out but only about 6" to a foot. Actually it seems as if it starts letting go and quickly (very quickly) regains control of itself, I'm guessing this is the behaviour of the AYC in full effect ?

giblet
13-02-2010, 12:00 PM
I managed to get 2 bars to light up from a standing start, and all 3 whilst taking a corner a bit too aggresivley. Have you tried looking on ebay for some part worns? Cheaper way to get some decent branded rubber

VR4Kaos
13-02-2010, 01:46 PM
yeah lookin at me local part worn gararge and he only had one decent tyer in the rest was a cheap as the one's i have already arrowward wtf

Davezj
13-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Karl what corner is it as i live south manchester.

my fav corner is the one that goes from M56 in to manchester that joins M60. massive sweeping left hander staying in the right hand lane only, no drifting across lanes which i can take at 60mph, which is where my bottle goes but tyres are not even squeeling yet good fun.

VR4Kaos
13-02-2010, 02:04 PM
it the one coming off kingsway (a34) onto the m56/m60 its a beuty do you iknow the one i mean

VR457
13-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Had the same problem as you describe, scared me a lot.

Swapped the grippier tyres to the back, all been well since.

AlanDITD
13-02-2010, 03:05 PM
stop being soft....you got a kid coming soon, do all the sideways driving you can before then :D

Are you lifting off? or putting your foot down?

Atik
13-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Karl what corner is it as i live south manchester.

my fav corner is the one that goes from M56 in to manchester that joins M60. massive sweeping left hander staying in the right hand lane only, no drifting across lanes which i can take at 60mph, which is where my bottle goes but tyres are not even squeeling yet good fun.
I've managed 65mph around that and am too scared to try any further. That was also just hovering between one and two bars of AYC! Too scared to try any further than that! :pimp2:

AlanDITD
13-02-2010, 04:00 PM
I've managed 65mph around that and am too scared to try any further. That was also just hovering between one and two bars of AYC! Too scared to try any further than that! :pimp2:

women!! :D

Davezj
13-02-2010, 04:01 PM
it the one coming off kingsway (a34) onto the m56/m60 its a beuty do you iknow the one i mean

is that the one that does a full 360 as come onto M56/m60 it gets tighter as it get nearer to the motorway. it feels like it goes on forever.

there is another one of those as you come off the M62 at manchester side of Huddersfiels. it goes on and on.

VR4Kaos
13-02-2010, 05:14 PM
thants the one dave ita a wee cracker lol ;)

Beastlee
13-02-2010, 05:25 PM
If you've got a kid coming you should have some quality rubber on the car all round so that the child will have two parents when it's born. If you can't afford good tyres on a car like this please sell the car and buy something more suited to your budget and situation.
If there's one thing you don't cheap out on its tyres, how many times does this point have to be made? My tyres are unsuitable for the winter weather here and I'm not able to locate suitable wheels and tyres to fix this so I make the concious decision not to risk my family and other road users and take my car off the road until the weather improves.

Davezj
13-02-2010, 05:42 PM
I have to agree with the here with respect to buying part warn tyres. it is a false economy, not to mention potentially dangerous to use them as you don't know the history as to what they have been subjected to in there life.
then there is the issue of using matched tyres to equalise the level of grip at each corer of the car. to make the cornering predictable.
then there is the equalised tread depth all round, each tyres tread depth on a 4 wheel drive car should be as equal as possible, to make the rolling circumference the same on each corner as they are mechanically connected together through the 4 wheel drive system unlike a front wheel drive car. which will more than likely have an open diff at the front so no wheel is really connected to any other wheel , but only to the gear box.

i am not having a go at you beastlee, but i have to disagree with the statement you have to buy expensive tyres for a VR4, £50 a corner is perfectly adequate to spend on tyres for a VR4.

you have to buy suitable spec tyres for the speed/weight of the car but as for expense that is not critical. yes some tyres are more grippy than other, so if you have less grippy tyres then you adjust you driving style to the amount of grip you have.

In general you do have to buy better tyres if you want to get more out of the VR4. but if there was a tyre that was cheap and had loads of grip, was fantastic in the wet, and worked in Mud/snow i would buy it and i am sure many others would as well.
Unfortunately in the general scheme of things the more you spend the better the tyre is for the given function the tyre was designed for. some are better in the snow/mud some better for the wet, some better for the dry, but not better in every condition. if you only buy one set of tyres then it will be a compromise for all conditions. So inherently will not be the best tyre for any conditions you are driving in at any moment in time.

not sure where i was going with this, but there it is.

Beastlee
13-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Dave, that's what I meant. I'm not meaning you have to go for the most expensive tyres around but you should have good quality rubber, from a named brand preferrably, with a suitable load and speed rating. In this particular case the tyres are clearly not suitable for the car but Karl has mentioned not spending too much on tyres. Something like the Falkens, which are rated quite well here, run at £45 each so £180 for all four, I really don't consider that expensive considering this is a high performance car. However there's always the temptation to spend just £10 less per corner on a set of LingLongs that look OK but certainly proivde less than 3/4 of the performance. This is where the chances are taken and accidents happen.

I agree with you on the right tyre for the job. Despite the good reviews of the Falkens I still think they are far inferior to something like the Eagle F1s. That said my Eagles are rubbish in the snow so it doesn't matter that I can possibly out-grip a Falken shod car becuase we'll both be slipping around in the snow.

steelie600
13-02-2010, 07:41 PM

Atik yer being soft ive done it at 65 ish in a ldv maxxus van!!! dunno how fast leggie will do it, ill let you know soon, when ive fixed it

VR4Kaos
13-02-2010, 07:52 PM
thanks for your comments dave and lee all taken on board and may get a full set of falkens but steelie ya must have had a full load and low tyer pressure as its a bad bend that tightens up quite sharply not lookin to push me leggie over 60 round it with these tyers

bradc
13-02-2010, 08:19 PM
**** tyres?
**** alignment?
ayc not working?
**** suspension?

**** grammar and spelling? (not yours PSB)

All of these could add up and make your car twitchy

VR4Kaos
13-02-2010, 08:25 PM
whats psb ? my grammer and spelling is awful i know all the punches to the head ive taken im i fighter not a penpusher mate and i cant help this no need to slag me for it is there misspelling and poor gramer dont harm ppls feelings

bradc
13-02-2010, 08:40 PM
I said that because I was quoting psbarham and adding another thing onto his list and I didn't want him to think I was aiming the post at him.

Just please try your hardest to post using the correct spelling and grammar, heck you can even enter everything into Microsoft Word first of all, which will offer ways to correct things and tell you what you've done wrong.

Davezj
13-02-2010, 08:47 PM
i downloaded ieSpell application for internet explorer and will spell check an open text box, in any website.

it helps me anyway.

bradc
13-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Using Word and copying in the above post I had this in about 10 seconds without really doing anything, just clicking on the words it thought were wrong and chucking in a few full stops and commas. The only word it didn't want to fix was ppls.

My grammar and spelling is awful I know all the punches to the head I’ve taken. I’m I fighter not a pen pusher mate and I can’t help this, no need to slag me for it is there. Misspelling and poor grammar don’t harm people’s feelings.

Davezj
13-02-2010, 08:54 PM
sorry beastlee i went off on one with regards the tyres.

no offence ment.

WizardKing
13-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Back to wussing out on slip roads . . .

there are at least 6 to 9 similar places (at least in description) to the ones mentioned earlier. In every motor I've driven along these slip-roads, I've only dropped to such a crawl due to traffic in my way on MY road ! :jester:

How about the M6 junction onto the M55 ? It often amuses me to see passenger's expressions of sheer terror when taking it at about 2 miles/min. /help :evilgrin: !!

{n.b. the preceding comments were regarding said roads during occasions whence they had been made inaccessible to the general public, such as when closed for repairs, etc.}

NOT ! :stop:
:whistle:

Beastlee
13-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Dave, you're fine I completely understood where you were coming from. I guess I came across a little harsh too, sorry folks. Tyres are a bug-bear for me.

AlanDITD
13-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Brad stp nit pikin @ ppls speling who reely givss a fck!

giblet
13-02-2010, 11:37 PM
I have to agree with the here with respect to buying part warn tyres. it is a false economy, not to mention potentially dangerous to use them as you don't know the history as to what they have been subjected to in there life.

Towards the end of december I picked up a set of evo 8 enkei wheels, which had some part worn Bridgestone Potenza's on them. They were previously used on an evo, and 2 of them had 5mm tread, and 2 on 3mm. Stuck the 5mm ones on the back and the 3mm on the front. Seem to be fine, tested them out a few times on some nice countryside roads and not had any issues with handling etc.

I have used part worn tyres in the past with other cars, but thats usually been just the one tyre rather than all 4. In my opinion its a good way of getting some decent rubber with good tread levels, and surely if you spend some time looking over them to make sure theres no marks, rips etc or signs of repair or other damage then it should be fine?

VR4Kaos
13-02-2010, 11:48 PM
ive had a few front wheel drive cars so have quite a good relationship with my partworn tyer bay will have him look out for some toyos with 6mm tread same as my fronts and in mean time swap em round and chill my drivin out init

Turbo_Steve
14-02-2010, 12:07 AM
I honestly don't see a problem with PartWorns either. As long as it's a reputable brand and there is more than 3mm on them, they're going to be just as good as every other tyre on the road.

Of course, we all inspect out tyres regularly, right?

miller
14-02-2010, 12:22 AM
To be honest if your end is twitching on a bend your doing high speed regardles of tyres, and like Wizardking says before me at speed how the hell can you afford to take your eyes off the road to see three bars on the AYC. I need my passengers if there are any to tell me, the rotated steering wheel obscures my view and i certainly am not going to lean forward and peer under/around the steering wheel just to try and catch the fleeting glimpse of three bars on the AYC. Straight line in the snow yes its easy to light three bars.

Ive tried it on track and its tough, if your trying this on the public road then you need the infamous CVR4 pan /pan

giblet
14-02-2010, 12:48 AM
ive had a few front wheel drive cars so have quite a good relationship with my partworn tyer bay will have him look out for some toyos with 6mm tread same as my fronts and in mean time swap em round and chill my drivin out init

what size tyres are you after?

VR4Kaos
14-02-2010, 10:39 AM
215x45x17

giblet
14-02-2010, 02:40 PM
215x45x17

How wide are the wheels? I thought the reccomended tyre size for 17"s was 225/45/17, but then again I have 235/45/17's on mine

VR4Kaos
14-02-2010, 02:47 PM
this is the size thats on em now would prefere 225 or even 235's would be mint

Beastlee
14-02-2010, 05:53 PM
225/45/17 gives the same rolling circumfrence as the stock 205/55/16. A 215 will over read on the speedo and require more revs per mph. Only minimally though.