PDA

View Full Version : A couple of problems with BDA old Vr4. Help please?

Humpty's Revenge
13-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Ok as some might know Big Dave Ackers old Vr4 passed it`s M.O.T yesterday (Great).

Now I have a couple of problems which I think has developed over the lack of use in the last couple of years, so can anyone help please?

Right the first is the engine management light comes on when the revs drop to just above tick over, but goes out with the tinniest of movement on the throttle peddle.

Secondly (Oops)/duh it will only change gear in auto mode when you really give it some beans but will only go to 3rd gear. Now it will change fully in tiptronic mode.

It is fitted with an Avc Apexi boost controller, would that need setting up possibly?

I know when the battery has been disconnected for a period of time they re-learn how to change gear again, now will this correct it1s self or is this now broken?

If repairable how please?

Also would the management light have anything to do with the gearbox not working or is is only for the engine?

Thanks in advance guys, any help will be greatly received.

Steve

Davezj
13-02-2010, 04:09 PM
you will have to read the error codes to find out.
search on "diagnostic codes" for a how to.

does the car feel like it is going to stall when the engine light comes on. if so it could just need the idle adjusting, which is the screw on the front top of the throttle body.

also search on something like "auto 3rd gear" for gear box issue. does the gear selector light flash when you can only select 3rd.

Humpty's Revenge
13-02-2010, 04:55 PM
you will have to read the error codes to find out.
search on "diagnostic codes" for a how to.

does the car feel like it is going to stall when the engine light comes on. if so it could just need the idle adjusting, which is the screw on the front top of the throttle body.

also search on something like "auto 3rd gear" for gear box issue. does the gear selector light flash when you can only select 3rd.

Thanks for your time Dave, I`ll try that over the weekend and yes when I first got it going it did go to die when you pressed the peddle.

As for the gear selector light flashing, I`ve not noticed so probably not.

peter thomson
13-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Sounds like sticky solenoids in the box with it sitting for so long or the valves they operate on .A bit of use may free them up

Davezj
13-02-2010, 05:13 PM
with regard the idle problem, is that when you first got it going after the battery disconnect.

after a battery disconnet you need to remeber the following.

the car might stall a couple of times after the battery connect but just keep on starting it and letting it idle and will sort it's self out, if everything is working correctly.

you need to put a load on the engine when you reconnect the battery and leave it to idle for 10mins to allow the ecu and idle control valve to work out the correct idle point for the engine.
to put load on the engine without reving it, put air con on and put it max cold with blower on full.

if the car continues to stall it my be the idle control valve being a bit sticky and you will need to clean it.

Humpty's Revenge
14-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Sounds like sticky solenoids in the box with it sitting for so long or the valves they operate on .A bit of use may free them up

Thanks Peter, would it possibly help if the gearbox oil was fully changed?

Humpty's Revenge
14-02-2010, 10:30 AM
with regard the idle problem, is that when you first got it going after the battery disconnect.

after a battery disconnet you need to remeber the following.

the car might stall a couple of times after the battery connect but just keep on starting it and letting it idle and will sort it's self out, if everything is working correctly.

you need to put a load on the engine when you reconnect the battery and leave it to idle for 10mins to allow the ecu and idle control valve to work out the correct idle point for the engine.
to put load on the engine without reving it, put air con on and put it max cold with blower on full.

if the car continues to stall it my be the idle control valve being a bit sticky and you will need to clean it.

I did keep starting it because it was also missing on 1 cylinder at the time but that has now cleared.

As for putting a load on the engine do you agree that disconnecting the battery again and leaving half an hour or so with reconnecting and doing as you said will work? or at least a try?

Thanks mate.........

Roadrunner
14-02-2010, 10:55 AM
would it possibly help if the gearbox oil was fully changed?
If the car has been sitting unused for a long time, I would definitely be changing all the fluids, not just the ATF. The VR-4 autobox is very sensitive to having the correct level of ATF so check the level and rectify first to see if it makes a difference. There's lots of info on this on the website - how to check the level, which fluid to use (Mitsubishi-recommended, Amsoil fully-synthetic), the best way to get the INVECS-II to "learn" after the battery has been disconnected, etc.