PDA

View Full Version : Fresh imports

pwake
14-02-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm being a bit picky about the type of car I want. It has to be a pre facelift? (the one with 4 fog lights) Galant, in black with little or no mods. I would prefer manual but would settle for auto.
So with that in mind, I was looking at getting one imported. There seems to be quite a few importers, but who would you suggest? I'm thinking of going to Newera as they seem to have sold quite a few VR4's, but they are a bit expensive compared to say ebony and ivory. Is it a case of you get waht you pay for or are they just expensive?

Cheers

Paul

Atik
14-02-2010, 10:22 PM
New Era have a good rep... just ask Nev /yes

From the sound of it, you want a FACELIFT. They are the ones with the four foglights (though one set of 'fogs' are actually not fogs, but fancy dancy turn lights).

Have a chat with New Era, and I'm sure they can source a black FL Galant with a manual 'box.

elnevio
14-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Newera cars are generally worth paying the premium for. :sunny:

I think they are more reasonably priced now, but still probably the most expensive. Their service is brilliant, too.

chris g
15-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Not everyone has had the same ' brilliant' experience with NewEra so be cautious...

bradc
15-02-2010, 10:56 AM
If you really want a facelift Galant then just remember you can't get a facelift galant with the manual gearbox and AYC. You'll have to settle for an open diff at the rear and manual gearbox, AYC + Galant + Auto, or the best option of all, a Legnum manual with AYC

gareth001
15-02-2010, 12:35 PM
I got mine from Newera, although it was already their stock so I didn't have to wait for them to find one. It was grade 4 Jap auction, although I'm now having to get the gearbox sorted as it doesn't change smoothly. But you do get a full comprehensive 1 year warranty so it will be covered in full from any VAT registered garage in the UK. besides clutch/flywheel if needed. But they are always consumables on any warranty.

But besides the gearbox - the car is very sound, although modded it's been done to a high standard.

pwake
15-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Cheers guys, after having a look around have decided that newera is the way to go. Had a trip down to E&I this morning a had a play in one of theirs, (insert big cheesy grin!) And after reading what Brad has wrote will be going with the auto option, just so I can have the green flashin lights on the dash! lol

gareth001
15-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Cheers guys, after having a look around have decided that newera is the way to go. Had a trip down to E&I this morning a had a play in one of theirs, (insert big cheesy grin!) And after reading what Brad has wrote will be going with the auto option, just so I can have the green flashin lights on the dash! lol

You could of course take a fl auto and get a manual conversion done - not sure how hard it is, but I know people on here have done it. That way you get everything you want.

Turbo_Steve
15-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Most people find the auto IS everything they want, though :D

bradc
15-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Indeed, a conversion is fairly straight forward.

raph
23-02-2010, 11:48 PM
so only the auto+manual fl legnum had ayc?? and not the manual galant?

well then, geuss its time to look for a manual legnum instead of a galant ...

i can see it now.. me driving like a loon ,with supplies from the hardware store in the boot!

paulg23
24-02-2010, 12:06 AM
I have just imported a 96 VR4-S from Japan. Easy process but long winded. Just passed its MOT and waiting for DVLA to issue it a number. Its black with auto box and in very good condition with 50K on the clock. All original. I found it via Tradecarview. The seller was a member of JUMVEA but still a bit of a risk I guess as apart from photos the first time I saw it was when it was delivered!

bradc
24-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Raph, some auto facelift legnums did not have AYC, but ALL manual facelift legnums had AYC, and all manual facelift galants did NOT have AYC.

ex-derv
03-03-2010, 11:26 PM
also, be aware that if you go to Browns (uk agent for newera) rather than direct to newera itself you will not get a 12 month warranty but a 3 month 'gold' warranty. Browns have been good to deal with but the limitations of the warranty only became apparent to me after the car arrived. My mates FTO came from Browns but through Newera and his warranty is much more comprehensive.