PDA

View Full Version : Cause for concern?

scc
15-02-2010, 01:24 AM
Hi chaps,

Recently, I've noticed now and then a sound coming from the bottom front drivers side of the car.

It sounds like the flexing of a metal panel, and it only occurs once during acceleration from stand still, and occasionally once during de-acceleration to stand still.

At first I thought it was a socket from a ratchet hitting a metal panel somewhere in the front, but there's nothing there.

Is this a cause for concern? Ball joint issues?

cheers,
scc

AlanDITD
15-02-2010, 02:01 AM
Yeah it could be...

The ball joints on the lower arms i think it is are prone to failing..they creak before there about to go.

worth jacking the car up and checking for play....if it is them get them replaced asap!

bradc
15-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Indeed it could be the ball joints, or possibly something else a bit loose in the suspension.

Turbo_Steve
15-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Mine goes "clonk" on acceleration, and ocasionally does it on braking.
I've not got to the bottom of it either: initially I thought it was the brakes 'freeing off", but I've changed the pads and it still does it. I'm convinced it's a braking thing.

Mines been doing it for well over 3000 miles now.

Beastlee
15-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Steve, sounds a little like my old car and that was the driver's side compression arm.

SCC, as said above, I would get the lateral arm checked ASAP just to be safe.

scc
15-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Thanks!

I've also had it MOT'ed and they didn't pick anything up. I'll get it checked again.

Cheers,
scc

orionn2o
15-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Mine goes "clonk" on acceleration, and ocasionally does it on braking.
I've not got to the bottom of it either: initially I thought it was the brakes 'freeing off", but I've changed the pads and it still does it. I'm convinced it's a braking thing.

Mines been doing it for well over 3000 miles now.

Sounds like one of your caliper bolts is loose? Worth a check..

Atik
15-02-2010, 12:52 PM
I remember that problem on my car Steve. It turned out to be a loose caliper bolt as Matt has suggested. Worth a check.

AlanDITD
15-02-2010, 01:01 PM
I also had this aswell.....its usually the carrier bolt not the caliper!

orionn2o
15-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Yes apologies, I meant the caliper carrier bolt. On mine the top one was loose and it eventually fell out and caused me a load of grief!

We spent ages looking at top mounts and suspension parts!