PDA

View Full Version : Front under brace

Jesus-Ninja
15-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Anyone else have one of these? Having done the rack, I was about to refit it, and decide to see how stiff it is....

Well, I can bend it by leaning on it. Given that this is bracing a cross member (that the lower suspension pics up on) which is cast iron (ie stiff as owt!), I can't see what benfit it's offering aside from slowly wearing down the local speed bumps....

Any thoughts?

miller
15-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Is it the four point cusco brace or the cheaper two point brace?

I 'removed' mine...on a gate stop thingy in the ground as i turned into a mates driveway! /TTTH

Beastlee
15-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Mike, you're lucky it was the weak spot!

Jesus-Ninja
15-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Is it the four point cusco brace or the cheaper two point brace?

4 point Cusco. I'd be interested to know if anyone has had the cross member off completely and their thoughts on how stiff it is. As far as I can tell the underbrace seems pretty flimsy compared with the thing it's supposed to be strengthening.

aboo
15-02-2010, 08:28 PM
I'v had my one off Jesus cause mine was bend & causing vibration through the gear box.

It was'nt as soft as yours seems to be. I had to hit mine with the mash hammer to straighten it out.

scott.mohekey
15-02-2010, 09:30 PM
I've got a cross member/subframe off in my lock up.. it is as stiff as cold nipples! I suspect cusco are creaming it a little here.

VR4WGN
15-02-2010, 10:20 PM
i have a 4 point cusco and its using bout 3-4mm tubing for the brace out of alloy,and again,stiff as hell and love it!! although its worse for wear tho...

VR4WGN
15-02-2010, 10:22 PM
and Brad dropped off his stuff for his ST-R and theres a 4 point brace in there,furniture tubing S/Steel rectangular,Very well made and looks VERY expensive.. but id say thatll be just as strong too

peter thomson
16-02-2010, 12:19 AM
I'v had my one off Jesus cause mine was bend & causing vibration through the gear box.

It was'nt as soft as yours seems to be. I had to hit mine with the mash hammer to straighten it out.

That's a different thing Andy

Jesus-Ninja
16-02-2010, 01:04 AM
That's a different thing Andy

Ah, I know what Aboo is talking about - the north-south piece that carries the frontmost engine mount. Nope - it ain't that!