PDA

View Full Version : Increase boost

chiro
15-02-2010, 08:03 PM
I've tried searching and cannot find a answer to this, if i increse the boost how much horsepower will i gain?

jinglis
15-02-2010, 08:12 PM
it depends what supporting modification you have made, and how much you turn up the boost. and there is no way of knowing as ever car is different. its a bit of a strange question really.

will turning the boost up give you more power, yes.
can people tell you how much, no

AlanDITD
15-02-2010, 08:15 PM
it depends what supporting modification you have made, and how much you turn up the boost. and there is no way of knowing as ever car is different. its a bit of a strange question really.

will turning the boost up give you more power, yes.
can people tell you how much, no

lies...

you will get 23hp

Turbo_Steve
15-02-2010, 09:02 PM
LOL!

Both wrong wrong wrong - Set your EBC to 40psi, and expect to see gains of 200-300bhp.

Fit a fuel controller and larger injectors and you should be able to run 300psi, and see 600bhp.

Chiro, your question:
1) could be answered by searching. A lot.
2) is poorly thought out - how much are you tuning up the boost by?
3) doesn't make sense as all cars, fuels, mods and temperatures are different

Nick Mann
15-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Yep - no sensible answer to your question.

Although as stupid as Alans answer is, it is probably not far off the mark!

A well set up electronic boost controller can change your 0-60 from 6.5seconds to 5.5 seconds. That is far more interesting than a small change in peak power, IMO.

RobboVR4
15-02-2010, 10:52 PM
I've tried searching and cannot find a answer to this, if i increse the boost how much horsepower will i gain?

Uve only had it 5 mins Chris & u already want to up the power.

AlanDITD
15-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Yep - no sensible answer to your question.

Although as stupid as Alans answer is, it is probably not far off the mark!

A well set up electronic boost controller can change your 0-60 from 6.5seconds to 5.5 seconds. That is far more interesting than a small change in peak power, IMO.

My answer wasnt stupid, your just jealous you never got there 1st.

steelie600
15-02-2010, 11:55 PM
your all wrong youll get seventy trillion horse power for 80psi of boost!!!

RobboVR4
16-02-2010, 12:31 AM
your all wrong youll get seventy trillion horse power for 80psi of boost!!!

I think the Max power chavs may fall for that one.

chiro
16-02-2010, 12:56 AM
I was just after a vague figure of how much extra power I would get. I just want to know if I increase the boost by a couple of psi will it make a noticable difference to performance? Ie is it worth doing? Sensible answers only please

Atik
16-02-2010, 01:15 AM
There is a noticeable difference from going from stock boost to say up to 1bar or 14.5psi. Its a massively noticable difference and you will shave off at least 1s to 1.5s off the quarter mile time.

Up the boost to a more manageable 0.8bar or about 11-12psi and you will be looking at a noticeable boost improvement and up to a second or so.

You wont get figures from anyone but expect to go from 260bhp to about 285bhp by upping from stock to about 12psi. That said, you might not get any performance improvement. It MASSIVELY depends on how well the car is tuned to receive the extra power.

VR4Kaos
16-02-2010, 01:17 AM
ive been advised to get a gouge fitted to see how the boost works then fit the controler in a few weeks later but need to upgrade your pugds and leads too ;)

RobboVR4
16-02-2010, 01:21 AM
There is a noticeable difference from going from stock boost to say up to 1bar or 14.5psi. Its a massively noticable difference and you will shave off at least 1s to 1.5s off the quarter mile time.

Up the boost to a more manageable 0.8bar or about 11-12psi and you will be looking at a noticeable boost improvement and up to a second or so.

You wont get figures from anyone but expect to go from 260bhp to about 285bhp by upping from stock to about 12psi. That said, you might not get any performance improvement. It MASSIVELY depends on how well the car is tuned to receive the extra power.

Does it matter what type of EBC you go for to increase the boost?

steelie600
16-02-2010, 01:24 AM
i use a mbc works nearly as well

steelie600
16-02-2010, 01:25 AM
ive been advised to get a gouge fitted to see how the boost works then fit the controler in a few weeks later but need to upgrade your pugds and leads too ;)

guage yes, ebc or mbc yes, plugs and leads???? who are they kidding???

who gave you this very useful knowledge so i can avoid them??

Atik
16-02-2010, 01:30 AM
An MBC works well enough and provided you undertstand it, there is no reason why an MBC cant be as effective as an EBC.

But an EBC will manage your peak boost better and hold it steady through the rev range. Some EBCs are better than others, but essentially they do the same thing. The fancy ones have much more parameters and readings and results and graphs etc. A simple one will still keep your peak boost optimised but you wont get any additional info or the adjustability.

Just to add, that it is frustrating to not get answers to your questions. Everyone starts somewhere and your knowledge base has to begin somewhere, but these kind of questions have been asked SO many times. It is well worth a read up on some old threads on everything. I'd recommend picking a topic, searching and just browsing through all the threads that come up back to day one of CVR4. There was a LOT of information put on the forums in the early days, and you get to see the problems they dealt with and how they overcame it. It will help you in learning how and why these current 'recommendations' have come about over the last 7 years of CVR4.

Atik
16-02-2010, 01:34 AM

Steelie, it has been VERY WELL DOCUMENTED on these forums that the '6' series plugs run colder than the '7' series. If you are planning on modifying your car to handle an extra 50bhp, surely it is a sensible upgrade to change your plugs BEFORE your engine blows up because your 'stock' plugs cant handle the extra demand put on them?

giblet
16-02-2010, 01:37 AM

Erm, seeing as the long standing members of the forum, the people who have owned and tuned their own vr4's have suggested its wise to upgrade the plugs then I would think its sensible advice. Going by what I have read on other forums and websites over the years, it seems to make sense.

As for leads, I suppose thats just a personal choice but imo if you are already changing the plugs then why not get some uprated leads at the same time. Thats what I intend to do anyway

Atik
16-02-2010, 01:39 AM
Everyone on the forums here :idea2: /yes

VR4Kaos
16-02-2010, 01:40 AM
turbo steve gave me this advise and im not assed he gotto be one of the most nolagable members on here i have lisened to him and take his advise on bord

steelie600
16-02-2010, 01:47 AM
fairy nuff, but my own understanding of turbo engines is that for the little power increase just upping your boost by 6 psi gives its not worth the effort. But each to there own and again I know nothing.

Atik
16-02-2010, 01:53 AM
Thing is, 6psi is more than enough to make your car go bang!

For an additional 6psi of boost, you could get a peak power increase of a single horsepower but your car could now run like a bag of spanners! If your combined components cannot handle the 6psi efficiently, there is no point in having the 6psi is there? By all means, feel free to ignore the advice, but these things have been tested time and time again.

steelie600
16-02-2010, 02:00 AM
i never said i was ignoring the advice atik, its just that i have worked with turbo engines petrol and deisel all my working career, and I am proficient in tuning engines. Horses for courses mate. Maybe prevention is better than cure its just my opinion doesnt conform to the cliques yet again

Atik
16-02-2010, 02:19 AM
Maybe prevention is better than cure
Thats what it is! The recommendation is that prevention is better than cure. A set of 7 series plugs for £40odd and the few hours to replace them? OR fix a broken engine cos the extra boost couldnt be handled by the current components?

Call in an electrician to fix the damaged light fitting? OR attempt it yourself, get electrocuted, short out the electrics in the house, then call the electrician in?

chiro
16-02-2010, 09:46 AM

Thank you, this is the sort of info I was after.
Looks like I'll be fitting a boost controller sometime soon

Ryan
16-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Chiro: Maybe fit a boost controller of some kind (and boost gauge too preferably), organise a dyno and then put your car on with stock boost and do a couple of runs with continued increase in boost until you hit fuel cut - then you will see what a difference (in HPatw) terms it makes.

Turbo_Steve
16-02-2010, 11:49 PM
This thread is amazing. Truly amazing.

Chiro, as Atik says, 6psi is a fairly hefty increase, and as such will transform the car: you're moving into the peak efficiency range of the turbos, which means a LOT more flow, decent temps and a lot more "area under the curve" on the dyno, which in turn makes a much faster car.

Atik, a couple of (minor) corrections:
7's are a colder plug than 6's. I'm nit picking, though! :)
Whilst an MBC and an EBC will give you very similar results, the general advantage of the EBC (and the reason it's about £150 more expensive) is that you can adjust the curve to get MAX boost without peaking for as long as possible. A mechanical controller tends to overshoot a little, and then fluctuate around the target a little more.

Again, I'm being nit picking.

Steelie......you run 6's and you might be fine. Of course, if you're NOT fine you'll end up with a misfiring bag of nails that's nasty to drive, and over heat your plugs and have to change them all anyway. Unless one of them fails and drops it's anode into the bore whilst the engine is at 5000rpms. That can be considerably more expensive than upgrading the plugs to start with.

Frankly, it's not "your opinion differing from the Clique" in this instance: your opinion was simply straight wrong. It's no more prevention than putting in the right oil or fitting strong enough big end bolts.

Atik
17-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Turbo_Steve > /pan < ME

I knew they were one way or the other :p

AlanDITD
17-02-2010, 12:17 AM
i changed my plugs to a grade colder before i even upped the boost.....i thought everyone did!

Turbo_Steve
17-02-2010, 12:24 AM
LOL @ Atik.....I still can't see the logic in it.
Colder plugs...run..hotter cylinder temps? Right? ARRGH!

Atik
17-02-2010, 12:32 AM
LOL, see your technical knowledge is so much better than mine! I was just trying to make my point and got it the wrong way round, so sue me! At least I dont ride a pushbike with a basket on the front :p

chiro
17-02-2010, 02:53 PM
So new sparks before upping the boost then, got some quite useful infomation in the end

Atik
17-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Yep, get some new plugs and get the car serviced and all oiled up with good spec oils etc. Then you can start playing with power mods without worrying too much of running 'cold plugs in a hot cylinder' ;)

orionn2o
17-02-2010, 03:23 PM
OR attempt it yourself, get electrocuted, short out the electrics in the house, then call the electrician in?

Of course you know its harder to call an electrician in if you are dead!