PDA

View Full Version : Towing with the VR4

jrp
16-02-2010, 10:31 AM
I need to find a multi purpose vehicle that i can use for work, pick my partners kids up from school & also pull an 1100kg caravan & have been toying with either a Legacy GTB or the Legnum VR4, I have driven Mikes ( Millers ) car & was impressed but was always under the impression you could not get a tow bar for them, anyway all that has been dispelled by talking to Mike last night & even getting the part number for a witter tow bar & also finding out it will tow around the 1500-1575kg mark, fuel is not really an issue as i also run a Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo with direct port nitrous & after that anything would be good:hat:
Mike also said that an additional/larger oil cooler would probably benefit any purchase i made, OK OK I am converted & would love a VR4 Estate but before i do buy is there anyone on here that does tow with one of these cars & i do not mean the occasional run to the Sunday tip with their little trailer on, is there anyone pulling 1100-1400kg & how does the car behave, is the auto box ok, I suppose i am just looking for reassurances as i don't want to go & buy one then find its not up to the task ( which i am sure it is )

Cheers Julian.

miller
16-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Hey Julian! There are quite a few guys towing on here, im sure they will be along in a bit! The New Zealanders seem to love towing with the VR4! From goats to legnums!

Talk to you soon re the Airtrek alarm

Cheers

Mike

Ryan
16-02-2010, 10:38 AM
A member on here (user name William) has towed a ~2 ton boat with an auto VR-4 before and managed okay but the transmission did overheat on some steep hills.

I believe if you fit an aftermarket ATF cooler (the stock one is not conducive to towing heavy loads) you will be okay.

miller
16-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Have a look at this thread Julian.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33172&highlight=towbar

anyways an Autobox cooler isnt a hard job or even expensive. I think mine was £40 for the cooler and lines.

jrp
16-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Hey Julian! There are quite a few guys towing on here, im sure they will be along in a bit! The New Zealanders seem to love towing with the VR4! From goats to legnums!

Talk to you soon re the Airtrek alarm

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, We can maybe kill two birds with one stone here, what i would like to do is bring Diane around to yours one day & let her have a look in & around your car & you maybe take her for a run in it, just need to make sure she is comfortable in it cos if we do get one ( as i am sure we will ) we would be going up to the Highlands in it in August with the caravan on, I can then look at the alarm for you:bulb:

ps tell Anna to get the kettle on.

Cheers Julian.

miller
16-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Thats fine with me Julian! Just remember though mine is slightly tweaked from stock and so will be louder etc etc.

When do you fancy popping round? Im out all day this saturday and the following saturday, most other days are fine with us

Mike

miller
16-02-2010, 11:13 AM
or throw this into the mix

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2002-Mitsubishi-airtrek-Turbo_W0QQitemZ310200924430QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAuto mobiles_UK?hash=item48396a790e

Its an Outlander basically! Wonder how good they will be for towing!

feonix
16-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Here is a nice one, already fitted with full tow bar & electrics!

My VR4 at Fort Purbrook (http://www.flickr.com/photos/16056147@N08/4116261211/)

i personally have never towed with it, but it has been used for towing large caravans a few times by the previous owner.

for sale to... :thumbsup: