PDA

View Full Version : Greddy Emanage Ultimate

jinglis
16-02-2010, 02:48 PM
i have an fto with a vr4 engine in it, the build is still in progress but its all wired up with the engine in etc just need to get the intercooler and hard pipes made.

i already have a blitzsbc i colour spec r so have the ability to control boost in gear and at certain rpm's etc

i was originally going to get a vipec but as with any build the budget is running out a bit so i was looking at a piggyback rather than standalone

from the search i can see a couple of guys are running the emanage ultimate.

are they a pain to set up?
is it easy to configure the jumpers? i will be buying mine used
are they easy to map for a beginner?
does it have the ability to get rid of the maf by running the greddy map sensor?

i have no problem with the wiring side as i have already merged the vr4 loom into the fto loom

i have no experience in mapping but do have a aem wideband and will be getting knock sensors(i know we already have them but something to tell me if its knocking so get your foot off the pedal)

i was looking also at the map 2 but this seems to be a premium due to the boost control feature which i dont need due to the blitz sbc

so my question is really is the emanage ultimate the best piggyback for the job or does the map 2 have greater mapping powers eg more fields etc also what other piggybacks to consider

Nutter_John
16-02-2010, 02:50 PM
which stock ecu have you got ?

jinglis
16-02-2010, 02:53 PM
not the mappable one :( got the one in the metal case

Nutter_John
16-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Not mapable you say , hmmm not what I would say

there is a thread started by Kinkyafro , have a read and see if you can get us to do a custom remap for you :)

Turbo_Steve
16-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Heh heh...John the salesman! :D

In all fairness to him, if you're not in a massive rush to get the car finished (John mentioned timescales in weeks rather than months, I believe) then their Mail-Order-Reflash service is probably your best bet!

That being said, if you're going to fiddle with it constantly, you're probably best off with either the E-manage or the ViPec.

To be completely honest, whilst the e-manage is very good, if you're going for the ultimate, bleeding edge, super-amazing turbo-change performance, the ViPec can't be beaten for controllability.

It really depends just how mad your project is.

jinglis
16-02-2010, 05:24 PM
i am definately going to be playing with it alot, i have read your thread and while it seems very interesting it doesnt sound for me, as correct me if im wrong it would be more like a mines ecu where i say what mods i have and you put a map on the ecu for that.

i know the vipec would be the best option but at £1300+ its looking a bit out of the price range now. i started the project lost my job but now have a new one on not as much money so the project has had to be adjusted to suit.

while i have a heavily moddified fto, new suspension brakes cage engine swap i havnt done that much to the engine.
FPR
dual feed fuel lines
downpipes and 3" exhaust
air filter
bigger intercooler
bigger alloy rad
hard pipes
blitz boost controller
aem wideband

still to come is an oil cooler, knock sensors and maybe nos see what the insurance company say, i have an idea they dont insure cars with it.

in the future i may look at cams and a lightened flywheel, but i cant see it going to far past that in the next 3 years.

so im pretty sure i want a piggyback that i can map myself, or at least play with, just really wondering if the greddy emu is the best over other things like the map2 or haltech piggybacks

Nutter_John
16-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Get your self a 7202 ecu and then use ecuflash , saves you going for an aftermarket one until you can afford the Vipec etc

Turbo_Steve
16-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Indeed, there is a lot to be said for that.

You need to decide how easy you want it to be to play with: if you're learning to map, the e-manage isn't as good as a dedicated ECU, but is easier to learn with.

By contrast, you'll have a lot more faff using a 7202, but the end results will be better.

raph
16-02-2010, 11:24 PM
i am definately going to be playing with it alot, i have read your thread and while it seems very interesting it doesnt sound for me, as correct me if im wrong it would be more like a mines ecu where i say what mods i have and you put a map on the ecu for that.

i know the vipec would be the best option but at £1300+ its looking a bit out of the price range now. i started the project lost my job but now have a new one on not as much money so the project has had to be adjusted to suit.

while i have a heavily moddified fto, new suspension brakes cage engine swap i havnt done that much to the engine.
FPR
dual feed fuel lines
downpipes and 3" exhaust
air filter
bigger intercooler
bigger alloy rad
hard pipes
blitz boost controller
aem wideband

still to come is an oil cooler, knock sensors and maybe nos see what the insurance company say, i have an idea they dont insure cars with it.

in the future i may look at cams and a lightened flywheel, but i cant see it going to far past that in the next 3 years.

so im pretty sure i want a piggyback that i can map myself, or at least play with, just really wondering if the greddy emu is the best over other things like the map2 or haltech piggybacks

To be honest..the greddy e manage is at the bottom of my liss of piggy back ecus..its just a glorified safc2:sleeping: ..and what really takes the cake is the fact that you have to buy every bit separatley.. youll want the greddy ultimate..which will cost alot more anyway:smash:

Mapecu2 and other equivalents at least offer timing adjustments right out the box .

And why would you need that now? you arent fitting cams and a lightened flywheel for now8and thats when timing control/rewriting is a must)

Nick Mann
16-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Trying not to piss on your chips - why not get the thing running first and then worry about the piggy back/standalone in 12 months? Your boost control plus (I'm guessing!) custom exhaust and air intake should get you to 300 bhp or thereabouts. Not a small amount of power in an FTO! You may decide that spending the money on something else is more important - stiffer front springs maybe? The ecu can come later then, with you deciding over time how much you can afford and what you want to achieve?

Just a thought...

Turbo_Steve
17-02-2010, 12:33 AM
LMAO! Piss on your chips!!?

Raph, how on earth is an E-manage a glorified SAFC?
That's like saying a Boeing 747 is a glorified pushbike!?

SAFC : 2D maps with 5 load points, +/- 5 value steps, MAF signal modification ONLY, so as it pulls out fuel, it tends to add timing.

EM Blue : 16x16 3D mapping based on load, TPS and RPM, 16 x 16 load points with full interpolation, Seperate 16x16 ignition map (optional loom required) for correcting ignition timing against MAF signal correction. I believe it will also drive the injectors directly, allows load-delta compensation and can do boost control etc. No AFR input etc for closed-loop mapping, and relies on factory knock control.

It's a fair way away from an SAFC!

jinglis
17-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Trying not to piss on your chips - why not get the thing running first and then worry about the piggy back/standalone in 12 months? Your boost control plus (I'm guessing!) custom exhaust and air intake should get you to 300 bhp or thereabouts. Not a small amount of power in an FTO! You may decide that spending the money on something else is more important - stiffer front springs maybe? The ecu can come later then, with you deciding over time how much you can afford and what you want to achieve?

Just a thought...

it is running, sort of. i fired it up just before christmas posted a video on here in the general section somewhere, but its not boosting as the piping isnt connected. but i understand what you are saying just one came up cheap £275 so i thought about getting it.

oh well missed it now, still like the sound of one for that money. onto the next job intercooler end tanks