PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Leggie!!

Longbow77
17-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Hi guys, have been ploughing through this forum for at least a week now to glean as much info as possible and I have to say it's very good. A bit of background - I am a car nut, I currently own a TVR Cerbera 4.2, Rev 3 MR2 Turbo, Fiat Coupe 20VT and now a Leggie. Basically, I'm in the Forces and will be moving to Germany this August. I needed a car that could do everything i.e. take the dogs, handle the autobahn, deal with the hard German winter roads all whilst being fun to drive. After a few hours on google I'd narrowed it down to either a Volvo V70 T5, BMW 540 Touring, Legacy GTB or the VR4 Legnum. I scratched the Volvo for being too dull and the BMW for being too sanitized. I've never owned a V6 before, let alone a 4wd car, so I was drawn to the VR4. And this weekend I bought a 1996 Legnum Type S with the 5 speed manual - from Central Cars in Leigh on Sea.

The car seems to be in great shape, and I have the recepit for a main dealer cambelt change in 2008. It is certainly quick, although the fuel gauge does drop quickly! This is definitely a car I feel I will keep for a long time - I love the fact that no one else knows what it is, or how fast it is - definitely a real 'sleeper'.

I've just bought some 17" alloys which I will fit next week, and have ordered a shed load of oils from opie which I hope to do this weekend (engine, gearbox, transfer, diff and AYC). It has a HKS Super Drager exhaust already which is very nice too.

I really don't want to modify the car too much - my fiat coop is my track day project - so the Leggie should have a fairly easy life. I am planning to install NKG iridium plugs and the 8.5mm ignition leads, then fit a MBC and set to 0.9bar. I may push to a FMIC and then 1 bar - we'll see.........

Nick Mann
17-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Looks like you have done some serious research on the mods!

Have fun. :D

Confused
17-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Seems you've certainly got a good list of "to-do"s already - some nice wheels and a full service! :)

Would be interested to see some pics and details of your other cars, too! :)

Longbow77
17-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Well, of my other cars the TVR is the one that I cherish the most. I bought it in 2004 and since then have totally rebuilt the car and engine. It's a real beast of a car, but to be honest I don't drive it that often anymore, due to the weather mainly. I do have a rebuild site with lots of pics:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/212016964dytUsY

The Cerb has been used in anger though - it isn't a garage queen. I have run a 12.1 @ 117 at the Pod in 2008, and managed to complete a standing mile in a whisker over 30 secs. The fastest I've driven it is a verified 172mph which was through the timing beams after a standing 1.5 mile run at Woodbridge last year. It is by far the most visceral driving experience I've had yet in any car.

I've had my MR2 turbo since 2002 and just refuse to sell it. It does so many things so very well - it's quick, refined and nimble. Strictly in the dry though!

The Fiat Coupe is an interesting one. I bought it on ebay last year for £600 simply as a track toy. It needed a new clutch and the cam belt was overdue, but other than that it was peachy. After a little bit of work (well, quite a bit, but not expensive) it is a surprisingly rapid track car. I'm busy installing a roll cage and bucket seat this weekend and should have it out at Bedford Autodrome early next month.

Last month's EVO mag made me laugh - they have spent over £24k upgrading an Audi TT for track use - my Fiat is probably faster and has cost less than £2k total - madness!!!

aboo
17-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Hi & welcome to CVR4.

CrossRoss
17-02-2010, 11:35 PM
hi and /welcome3 to the club and the tvr looks great

raph
17-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Welcome! the 20vt is great isnt it? unbelievable fwd traction to say the least (much better than other fwd turbos ive driven) drop in a gt28rs "disco potato" and itll be real fun!! (get a ca18det ss turbo outlet pipe and reweld it to fit the fwd config)

the mr2 is a real gem too!

pics from fiat + mr2?

stuey
18-02-2010, 04:33 AM
Hello and welcome... /Welcome

All your cars look interesting, and well done in finding a manual Legnum..

I'm a huge Cerb fan, I was one of the 3 non-TVR guest drivers that did the PH Spa trip last October.. Owning an AJP V8 is on the list at some point.. Yours looks like a proper restored track weapon too..

Ryan
18-02-2010, 04:47 AM
Welcome Longbow - say, you aren't an Apache pilot by any chance are you with a handle like that? :)

Nick VR4
18-02-2010, 08:17 AM
Hi and Welcome to the forum

elnevio
18-02-2010, 08:33 AM
/Welcome2

miller
18-02-2010, 11:22 AM
wow a brilliant line up of cars already in your garage! love the sound of the Fiat Coop track car! pics are a must on here im afraid!

Oh and pics of your leggie too!

Welcome aboard CVR4, enjoy your stay!

Mike

Wobble
18-02-2010, 07:17 PM
thought of a tvr in the past myself but got swayed by an evo. welcome to the club and enjoy all the info

Longbow77
18-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome! Unfortunately I am not an Apache pilot, but am an engineer (Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers). My last job before this was maintaining the Apaches at Wattisham - a few of my friends do fly it though.

I will post pics up soon - I have just today finished welding in my full roll cage into the Fiat and hope to have it painted tomorrow. Race seat and harness going in next week. Will also take pics of the Leggie, but with the weather it's a bit grimy at the moment!

It's been a busy day today - managed to change all oils less the AYC (need to order some Amsoil ATF) and bled the brakes and clutch, replacing with racing DOT4 fluid. From what I've seen so far, it looks like the car is completely standard. It has the 16" BBS wheels (which are remarkably light as I found out today) but the tyres are different on all corners and are brands I have never heard of - doubt they have been changed since the car was imported in late 2007. Mileage at import was 81000km and it now reads 105000km.

A few problems I have encountered:

1. When cold, the gearbox was very notchy into 2nd and 3rd. In the first few minutes it was nearly impossible to get it into 2nd. However, I think the fluid in the gearbox was wrong - I have replaced with Redline 75W90 Non-Slip - a quick drive from cold now and the issue has gone away.

2. There seems to be a loose wire to the clock and speakers - the power keeps on cutting in and out at random.

The fuel economy is quite funny - it really is bad - I don't think I've had a car where the needle drops as quickly!

Also, I will check the ECU version tomorrow - finger crossed I will have the 7202 version... feeling lucky.....

Roberto
18-02-2010, 08:30 PM
A notchy gear change when cold is normal in the VR4. So don't be surprised if it comes back.

The clock should be the normal easy fix, just a resolder job on the pcb power connector.

And Welcome.

RobboVR4
18-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Hello Longbow77 thats a good taste in cars uve got there especially the TV, u must be on jonny filmstar wages working on Apaches. My soon to be stepdad works on the Apaches at Wattisham.

raph
18-02-2010, 09:12 PM
TVR is "the hotness" looks like business! Ive never seen a TVR around here before, havent gotten the chance to see one up close either :-(

Longbow77
18-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Raph, I see you live in Germany - where abouts? I am posted there this summer, to Paderborn. I will only be taking two cars with me though (TVR and VR4) as the insurance is much more expensive over there.

sky insurance
19-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Welcome along..

I am also an Mr2 turbo owner and big Fiat fan.. my Fiat of choice being the barmy pocket rocket Uno Turbo..

Your Cerb sounds downright scary!

Ollie
Sky Insurance