PDA

View Full Version : Wheelnuts from an FTO

lorriman
22-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Does anyone know if the wheelnuts from an FTO would be okay on my V6 Sport? I've tried one from my wife's car and it seemed to fit okay on mine (they're the same thread and the nut fits my wrench) but when I spoke to the dealer they said that there was more to it than whether the thread was the same - something to do with the bevel fitting correctly (the sloping end where it touches the alloy).

What are the consequences of getting this wrong?

Any ideas guys?

The ones I have on there were supplied by the local tyre place after mine rusted badly and they didn't seem to check if the bevelled end was the same. Maybe this is the cause of the vibration?? Something that balancing the wheels on the car would have found had the garage agreed to do it.

Japmetal
22-07-2004, 06:57 PM
You need to check that the nuts seat correctly in the bottoms of the holes in the wheels [too late for proper technical terms !] although if both your Legnum & your wife's FTO both have standard alloys on I'd be suprised if the wheelnuts are different anyway.

The only real way to know for sure is to compare your FTO nuts to some original VR4 ones, and make sure the sloped/domed end that fits against the alloy has the same profile on each one ! IF this isnt possible and you have aftermarket wheels, any wheel/tyre supplier should be able to reference the make & model of your wheels and get the correct nuts to fit them.

The only other thing to make sure of si that you get at least 5 whole turns of thread before the nuts seat onto the wheels - any less than this and the nuts could strip the threads under pressure [ie when in motion] and cause a major problem - I think you can see where I'm going with that :sad3:

I hope that makes sense, if not ignore me & try someone else :lipsrseal

lorriman
26-07-2004, 08:26 AM
Cheers JapMetal. The bit about the number of turns and the shape of the nut is something I'd never have thought of. Thanks a lot. :-D

Japmetal
26-07-2004, 06:35 PM
Thankyou, thankyou, I'm here all weekend - remember to tip your waitress ! :p :$