PDA

View Full Version : Connecting external AYC lights

wintertidenz
18-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Okay, I get annoyed that I can't see what my AYC is doing in corners, so I'm going to put some LEDs in on my gauge pod so I can see the three bars.

Problem is, according to this:
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=29993&d=1253626890

When the light is illuminated the voltage is 2v or less... not the other way around? Can someone confirm that this is the case?

If so, then I will need to build some kind of relay board that illuminates the lights when the voltage is pulled low...

Turbo_Steve
19-02-2010, 12:32 AM
A total guess, but I'd suspect they're LEDs, which will be very low voltage when powered.

Easiest thing to do would be to simply disconnect them and run wires from the terminals to your new location, re-using the same LEDs.

WizardKing
19-02-2010, 03:31 AM
Good luck with getting to them. I've taken my clocks out and replaced all of the green LED's that show selected gear-lever position and actual gear with white and blue LED's.

The AYC LED's needed what looked like a fair bit more ripping apart than time permitted, so were left for another time.

The PDF you linked to doesn't seem to have three separate [direct] output signals (i.e. for the dash LED's .) It may send a signal that is decoded in the clocks circuitry, not sure.

What I can say, for sure, is that I simply de-soldered and replaced the gear-indicator LED's with some rated at 3-3.4 volts @ 20-30 mA and they work perfectly. This is another reason for doubting the PDF, it states 12 volts (instant LED death) and 2 volts (too low to illuminate most, if not all, green LED's sold in the mid 90's, IIRC.)

Turbo_Steve's suggestion is the easiest to implement and will work. I suspect you may have intended to take your feeds from the ECU.

If the board has half-watt resistors fitted (doubtful) you'd get away with wiring in parallel with the existing ones. It may be ok to parallel wire some low current SMD LED's. Theoretically, this will over-tax and burn the resistors out but in practice, I doubt it would happen. The short amount of time they're lit for is the deciding factor.

HTH, let us know how you get on.

wintertidenz
19-02-2010, 03:51 AM
I was intending to go from the ECU or just under the dash, stuff pulling the clocks out :) if you look at the connector on the second page it does mention the AYC bars, 22 pin connector with wires 16, 17 and 18.

What I suspect is that the PDF may be wrong, and it only supplies voltage when the lights are meant to be on. If this is the case, it will be piss easy to wire in 3 additional LEDs with resistors :) I really want to keep the stock dash ones, but just have some green-orange-red ones for in the gauge cluster so I know how hard I'm pushing the car.

I may need to look at a clock that is currently out of a car to see how difficult this task is, and also get out my multimeter to probe those wires under the dash... if it can be done, and easily, then expect a guide to be published :P

WizardKing
19-02-2010, 04:29 AM
. . . then expect a guide to be published :P

I certainly will :d !

wintertidenz
19-02-2010, 04:42 AM
As a side note, I will check what the TCL-OFF light wire shows in the way of voltages when it is illuminated, as this seems to be the same configuration as the AYC ones. Just gotta get to the ECU now :(

WizardKing
19-02-2010, 01:05 PM
It's easy when you use one of these ;

kinkyafro
10-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Did anyone get anywhere with this as it looks a lot easier then splicing into the ayc lights behind the dashboard?
Looks like John the Antique was also looking into this LINK (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?50049-AYC-gauge-in-centre-clock&p=572033&viewfull=1#post572033)

Nutter_John
10-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Yeah johns work fine , he has taken the feed direct from the AYC ecu (kitty posted up the correct wiring diagrams ) .

When you do connect them join all the anodes togethor and run to the 5v line from the ecu , then connect the cathodes (-) to each of three lines going from the ecu

done and dusted nice and easy

John TheAntique
10-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Here you are. There are three LEDs just above the gauges. They are always in your periferal vision and may be a bit bright at night but I have a dimmer switch that I might fit when I get around to finishing this off. Like all my projects I tend not to finish them when I get to the stage when I know what it's going to look like when it's finished!

Nutter_John
10-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Just set it to auto dim when the lights are on John

Just need a dual throw relay that switches in a bigger resistor when the light circuit is active

kinkyafro
10-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Those are the correct answers thanks gents

GalantOnly
11-06-2011, 11:02 AM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?54772-AYC-wiring-diagram&p=610128&viewfull=1#post610128

wintertidenz
11-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Hmm, I never did get around to finishing this - I put the wires in place and bought the parts I needed though.

I'm going to be running some LM741's that are triggered when the ECU goes to ground to activate the lights. Bit more complicated than some of the solutions I've seen here, but I may also rig it into a PIC for some trickery.