PDA

View Full Version : restrictor

666damned
19-02-2010, 08:26 PM
evening peeps.............browsing the OZ forum found a thread about the boost solenoid having a restrictor in them and how to remove.........looked at how easy a few extra ponies is available to those running standard boost...........i am running at about 14psi with an mbc but still suffering fuel cut now and then,so,would removing this restrictor help smooth boost spikes or do nothing at all to help?........................

dave

giblet
19-02-2010, 08:34 PM
From what I have read both over there and here, people who have bypassed the solenoid when fitting their mbc's dont seem to have as much of an issue with fuel cut etc, but then again im a noob, so wait for a response from someone who knows :p

Turbo_Steve
19-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Gib is about bang on: rather than messing about with the boost solenoid, you'd do better just to buy some silicone hose and hook your boost controller directly to the actuators, bypassing it completely.

Having the factory solenoid in there is MORE likely to encourage fuel cut, as you've got two control systems working, in essence, against each other.

666damned
19-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Gib is about bang on: rather than messing about with the boost solenoid, you'd do better just to buy some silicone hose and hook your boost controller directly to the actuators, bypassing it completely.

Having the factory solenoid in there is MORE likely to encourage fuel cut, as you've got two control systems working, in essence, against each other.

steve ...could you bypass at he point of solenoid...by joining the 2 pipes that got to it ...as it were.........

Turbo_Steve
19-02-2010, 10:43 PM
You could, but you end up with a lot of uneccesary pipework, possible restirctors and all sorts.
Keep it simple - shorter boost lines = better levels of control.

Davezj
19-02-2010, 11:53 PM
by getting rid of the factory boost solenoid arn't you getting rid of the only thing that will back off the boost to combat knock.

or will the ECU still pull the ignition timing to combat the knock. just not as well if the boost solenoid was there as well.

or have i got the wrong end of the stick.

Nutter_John
19-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Ecu pulls timming not boost when it sees knock

swinks
20-02-2010, 12:02 AM
So far, IMO the biggest restrictor is a tranny and fragile torque converter.

Turbo_Steve
20-02-2010, 12:20 AM
John, I believe it stops raising the boost above actuator pressure if it's in Limp Mode? Not that it's significant LOL