PDA

View Full Version : Recaro interior?

GialloGrale
23-07-2004, 12:17 AM
Does anyone know if the recaro interior ever came with roofrails? I like the recaro interior, but I need the roofrails. I've looked at a few, and they have been either one or the other, but never both - so I'm wondering what kind of chance I've got...

Thanks

Nick Mann
23-07-2004, 08:51 AM
I've just sold one!

Roof rails was an option in Japan. I don't think there is any rule about which cars have them and which don't. (Apart from the people with the inferior saloon - they never go the choice! ;) )

Recaros only came in after the facelift - end of 1998 - so look for a newer car than that, or a 'Super VR4' which had a few nice extras. See here (http://www.gcar.co.jp/gbtrader/1stock/g20/). I don't know if the super VR4 ever came with bars, though.

ReggieK
23-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Does anyone know if the recaro interior ever came with roofrails?

I've never seen a seat, Recaro or otherwise, with roofrails :rolleyes5 :D :laugh: :-D

simpsonm
23-07-2004, 01:31 PM
Hey

Who you callin inferior!!! I prefer the sexy ass of my motor compared to the big mamma but of the estate lol.

Kieran
23-07-2004, 03:43 PM
Hey

Who you callin inferior!!! I prefer the sexy ass of my motor compared to the big mamma but of the estate lol.

Yeah! :veryangry

Run 'Legnum' through Babelfish and the english translation is,

"Of much hulking van with windows" :laugh: :-D

/Raises the drawbridge and lets the crocodiles into the moat around KieranCorp Towers in anticipation of the angry mobs :$

Louis
23-07-2004, 04:04 PM
Hi there,
The roof rails are avialable from your local mitsubishi dealership, I got a catalogue from mine for extras for both saloon and estate, body wise the Galant estate is the same as the legnum apart from some strengthening on the Legnum, they also do splitters and spoilers. So get the car with the Recaros and then fit the roof rails,cheers Louis

Mel
23-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Has anyone managed to get rails fitted- I asked my local Mitsi dealer a month ago, and he wouldn't do it. Said they needed to be a factory fit.

Do they need any special fixings/strengtening?

Brind
23-07-2004, 07:53 PM
For once I'm on Kieran's side!
If I wanted an estate for estate car reasons I wouldn't want one that drinks at the rate of 18 miles per gallon no matter how fun it would be to drive and throw around the contents. :p

Kieran
23-07-2004, 08:50 PM

:lolz: Hey... there's nowt like some heathy debate!;) Anyway, we see eye to eye on some things, like roads, speed cameras, taxation, etc!... :uhoh2: :uhoh2:

/Kieran realises too late that he's opened the political pandora's box!! :typy: :scared1:

Brind
23-07-2004, 09:07 PM
We don't go poilitical on CVR4 anymore as others get upset.. eh Nick. :D

Ahem, Roof rails... erm, yeah not totally sure but It wouldn't be impossible to retrofit them if the car you wanted didn't have them.

GialloGrale
23-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Seem to have opened a can of worms here... but if you want an estate why not get the quickest one....?

I did ask the local Mitsi/Ralliart dealer abt retrofitting the roofrails, answer was it was a factory option since the roof was strengthened to take it. Hence the 100kg load limit for roofrails rather than 50kg for an aftermarket roof rack.

Does anyone know different? Has anyone fitted aftermarket roofrails?

ReggieK
23-07-2004, 10:11 PM
If I wanted an estate for estate car reasons I wouldn't want one that drinks at the rate of 18 miles per gallon no matter how fun it would be to drive and throw around the contents. :p

You do know a certain member called BigDaveAckers I take it. Start running now, I'll hold him back :-D Well sort of.... :D :D :D

Kieran
23-07-2004, 10:25 PM
I'll hold him back :-D Well sort of.... :D :D :D

You'll need long arms:lipsrseal.....................

He's a pussycat really! :uhoh2:

Japmetal
23-07-2004, 10:39 PM
I've seen how angry a cat can get when upset :p

I have the scars to prove it :sad3:

Brind
24-07-2004, 12:09 AM
It's all a matter of opinion. :arse: :p

Nick Mann
24-07-2004, 08:09 AM
I have heard that retro-fitting rails is near on impossible as the roof needs strengthening. I can not put any proof behind this statement, though!

If you want half a dozen cars to cater for all your different transportation needs, then go ahead and buy them! But why? The Legnum VR4 does it all!

(Careful - I'll get political on your ass! :arse: :p )

Andy Goodman
02-08-2004, 01:19 PM
I've been trying to find a way of attaching my top box to my railless Legnum for ages now. A Dealer let me try the UK saloon roof bars which clip into brackets under the black trim strips, but the brackets on my van are mounted the opposite way around! :noshake: Seeing as there are two sets of these brackets built into the roof under the trim strips I had hoped that there must be a Legnum only set of bars, but Mitsi UK and Japan say no. If they're not for bars why are they there? :headsc: Are Mitsi just being :arse: because I brought mine over from Japan personally? I wondered if anyone had managed to find anything that fits?

Brind
02-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Well.. I'd have thought since most vehicle manufacturers build shells and simply don't always use the complete ability of a shell, for example - space for a sub in the parcel shelf of a saloon, ABS control in a Ford Sierra even if the final production of the car doesn't have the full system fitted, extra cables routed from front to back and other wiring looms and so on.
It would effectively cost money to make a shell different in any major way, especially body strength.

Japmetal
02-08-2004, 09:05 PM
My 1993 Lancer had a factory sunroof; Apparently they were made with extra strengthening down the pillars, floor and roof to acomodate the big wedge in the rooflining

This meant that Mitsubishi would not retro-fit a sunroof to any car not specifically made to take one; I guess the cost of needlessly outfitting every model outweighed the cost of different components for some stuff ?

-LegnumVR4-
03-08-2004, 10:29 AM
I've seen the inside of the Legnums roof, they have the brackets in the front half (i think, or back, been ages since i saw it) but the others are missing to connect the rails to the roof. The brackets are welded in place to the body just under the roof line so it maybe a bit of work (heating the roof and warping it could happen if not done right) to weld some brackets in there.

Rhys

Andy Goodman
03-08-2004, 06:34 PM
As Brind says (though there are always the anti-import brigade who assume non UK spec cars are jerrybuilt) manufacturers may make one spec of car for a single market, but most structural parts need to be standard - a door's a door, a floorpan's a floorpan. Higher spec cars get more goodies/strengthening/trim bits, but it's not economic to build too many basic variations because lower volume production=higher piece price (Japmetal's example accepted). I only wish they'd have carried over the four existing brackets from the saloon roof to the estate during manufacture, but I guess maybe the big roof's not as load bearing (except in roof rail guise?) or Mitsubishi's BIW designers were cost cutting.

I'll just have to look for one with the factory fit option when I replace mine, which is a pity as I think Legnum's minus roof addendum look sleeker and sexier than other VR4's (pause for abuse! :p )