PDA

View Full Version : ARRGGHHHH.... gear oil on the deck!!

kennyb
22-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Hi guys,

Ok after shifting around the car this weekend, sticking a few new mounts in and generally checking everything out, I noticed some gear oil on the floor at the back of the car :-/

So getting under the rear i see a little hang of oil on the rear diff!! Smelt like **** and isn't red....

So i'm guessing diff oil leak somewhere.... having a look around I cant see where its coming from but it looks like mainly from around the square plate bit...

Having read a little bit about propshaft seals and stuff I dont think its coming from around there.. any suggestions guys... I mean anything else it could be coming from ... i understand the drain and filler plug would probably be the other main culprits but could it be anything else??

Does the square plate have AYC fluid(red stuff) behind it or gear oil???

Cheers

MikeKey
22-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Hmmm, definitely gear oil if it smells like that, mine nearly made me gag a couple of times it was so rank... Anyway, it's gear oil behind the plate as it's an inspection cover for the crown gear.

As well as checking around the plate and filler bolts, check the left-hand driveshaft interface too. I had a leaky left-hand driveshaft seal and the oil still managed to accumulate around the inspection plate. Give it all a good clean and check it in a few days.

kennyb
23-02-2010, 01:45 AM
all clean ... took for a 10 minute drive and checked again... sod all.... will look again after a days use tmrw... driveshaft area looks pretty dry around it??? hhmmmmmm... ???

Turbo_Steve
23-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Just out of interest, it wasn't serviced shortly before being left, was it?

kennyb
23-02-2010, 07:00 PM
turns out passenger side driftshaft area is leaking and running down?? What should I be looking at to fix it cost wise :-(.... is it a job I could do or is it looking like a diff out and lots of AYC messing stuff :-(

Cheers

wintertidenz
23-02-2010, 11:19 PM
It should be just an oil seal to replace, don't know how hard it is to do though sorry!

peter thomson
02-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Just pm'd you to check it isn't coming from the breather on the diff .It's on the passenger side and if there is a problem there it would run down past the driveshaft