PDA

View Full Version : Interview on wednesday...eep!

AlanDITD
22-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Applied for a Job working on the IT projects team last week, involves looking after new aqusitions (which are coming thick and fast) another one confirmed on friday.

Basically setuping new offices, dealing with the new buisness and there expections etc etc, should be quiet good fun and another step up for me, improved pay etc

The role is all over the country where ever the work is, so lots of hotels i assume and man nights away. If i did get it, then i may request a move back to carlisle, as theres no point paying rent on a flat down in london and spending 36 weeks of the year no living in there.

Any of you guys know of PRINCE2 training...maybe steve or john, ?
I need to have a look over it, its not a essential but is in the desired criteria, so id like to have a brief overview at least of it if you guys know of any decent rescources?

Anyway wish me luck :D

miller
22-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Good luck! great money saver too if you could vacate the London pad i bet?

Nutter_John
22-02-2010, 01:14 PM
scoop creep , prince2 is just a method and framework to dealing with projects , brekaing things down in set ways so that you dont miss key milestones

good luck matey

AlanDITD
22-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Well if i stay i london they will have to add to my salary as the role comes with much more responsibility.

However if i move back to carlisle and stay on the same salary i could live like a king. Plus they dont have to pay me anything else therefore win win imo.

Dont want to get ahead of myself of course, but i did plan to propose this to them when the subject of wages comes to the table!

666damned
22-02-2010, 01:18 PM
best of luck m8y................

elnevio
22-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Good luck! :2thumbsup

aboo
22-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Good luck Alan. Fingers crossed for you.

Roberto
22-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Best of luck Alan, just don't mention not needing extra money if you leave London.

AlanDITD
22-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Yeah good point mate, they might offer me more anayway i guess :)

Spirit
22-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Good luck Alan

Kieran
22-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Fingers crossed Alan!!

Ryan
22-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Here's hoping for the best Alan!

bluemooney
23-02-2010, 06:07 AM
good luck mate

i managed 18 months in london then had to return north for my own sanity

when it comes to money never under value yourself, you know what the going rate for the position is decide what you are worth with in that bracket and work around that,
wait till the end of the interview to raise money issues and like you said see if they mention it first.

I have only ever not got 1 job from using this method ,guy they did employ took 10k less than the going rate.

good luck again

gareth

Turbo_Steve
23-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Prince 2 is a "big deal" qualification, primarily as you need to pretty much memorise a HEEEUUWWGE book of terminology, processes and methodology. As with ITIL and similar "framework" qualifications, there are different levels you can attain: for basic project management skills most employers will settle for "prince 2 exposure"...if you're managing vendor deliverables, enterprise wide infrastructure changes or anything carrying a significant business risk, they will generally stump up the cash for someone with Practicioner Plus and at least a couple of years experience. These guys tend to cost a lot of money, never express annoyance at anything, be very organised, and seem highly bored, and don't suffer fools gladly.

[Turbo_Steve eyes John suspiciously] Hmmmm....

Anyway, it's a direction I keep promising I'll point myself in to get away from annoying tech nitty gritty...but it's like an addiction...just one more script....just one more.....

Jane
23-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Good Luck Alan :thumbsup:

Jx

Confused
24-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Good luck, Alan! :)

AlanDITD
24-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Ok well had the interview today, it lasted for just over an hour and it went prety well i thought....

Role is based in london and would come with an extra 4k wages which is nice.

Just gotta wait and see if i get a second interview, which will be presentation based haha, i love doing them.......doh!

martin_y
24-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Well done, Alan.

I'm a trainer,I could look over your presentation, if you like.

AlanDITD
24-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Yeah man that could rock...ill let you know neaer the time if required :)

martin_y
24-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Cool, 1st tip - the presenation is YOU, not the Powerpoint. Spend more time practising what you will SAY, compared to preparing any slides.

AlanDITD
24-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Yeah the guy doing my interview told me that, he said make sure there is little to no text on the screen and that it all comes from me.

Dunno if him telling me that is a good sign or not lol

Turbo_Steve
24-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Sounds pretty positive to me.

Spirit
24-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Sound advice regarding the slides etc.

Scarey sometimes though. I recall doing a presentation a few years back to over 150 people..........never again hopefully !

AlanDITD
10-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Just to bring this to a close, i never got the job...:( have requested feedback from them so wil see what they say.

My boss obviously new about the interview as it was internal, he came to see me today to tell me im far better off where i am and to just hang about for a bit.

Not really that disapointed as i love my job anyway, just some extra cash would have been nice!

Cheers