PDA

View Full Version : Where's the main ground point in the cabin?

Jesus-Ninja
22-02-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm in the process of grounding everything. I had some 4awg (in red, randomly enough, so a less than ideal colour for grounding!) so picked up some crimp on lugs and have done points on the engine / engine bay.

Where do the dash components, and in particular the ECU(s), ground?

I know I could just follow wires, but it's dark/cold and someone may be able to point me there immediately :)

Any other points in the cabin of value? I would image that everything else is just lights etc.

scott.mohekey
22-02-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm not sure, but I THINK there's a bunch of localised grounding points in the cabin.

WizardKing
23-02-2010, 03:02 AM
The main one is the entire shell, frame, subframe and anything metal that is directly bolted, screwed, riveted and/or welded onto such.

The reason for multiple earth points is generally a matter of convenience. Ideally, all negative (earth) wires should be kept as short in length as possible, attaching as close as possible to chassis earth. This helps to keep electrical losses to a minimum.

Additional earth straps between the battery and chassis/engine/alternator never do any harm. Again, shorter is better, for these.