PDA

View Full Version : Acid dipping

Gowf
23-02-2010, 01:50 AM
Has anyone had any experience or knowlege of any acid dipping companies in or around the hertfordshire area?

Im looking to get a small car shell acid dipped and either etch-primed or electrophoreticaly primed. Just not sure on prices or peoples experiences of such things. Want to stay away from paint and rust removal by blasting, due to the severity on the metal (if trying to get rid of rust)

psbarham
23-02-2010, 08:44 AM
we used to do it on small stuff like engine blocks, but that was in-house, as for external companies, I haven't heard of anybody that'll do it on that sort of scale, what about walnut shell blasting? its a gentler alternative.

ooh just had a thought. galvanising companies. they acid dip 1st. try east anglian galvanising, they have a place at Sawtry just off the A1M

Ghost_2008
23-02-2010, 06:54 PM
And I thought you were talking about something far more exciting!!!!!!!!

Davezj
23-02-2010, 07:12 PM
do you remember a tv show that ran on 221 Turbo channel (virgin media) called camper van crisis. the guy on there had a VW campervan body dipped and stripped. so size should not be an issue.

i will have to see if still have it dowmloaded on pc.

back in a bit!

sorry i have checked and i don't have it any more. you can download it from the web, to find out the company, it will be in the first episode i think.

Here is the free download site
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JIQWVGS3

stuartturbo
23-02-2010, 07:22 PM
do you remember a tv show that ran on 221 Turbo channel (virgin media) called camper van crisis. the guy on there had a VW campervan body dipped and stripped. so size should not be an issue.

i will have to see if still have it dowmloaded on pc.

back in a bit!

Thats what i was just thinking try VW mags etc

Jesus-Ninja
23-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Gowf - have a look in this month's PPC - there's a really good article on the various methods of rust removal from mechanical removal, Nitromors, sand blasting, bead blasting and ally oxide blasting to soda blasting (ideal, it seems, for body panels and shells) and acid dipping. Could be worth a read first. There's sure to be some companies advertising in the space near the article. I'll have a look this evening if I remember.

The soda blasting looks very interesting though, as it doesn't give the distortion and damage associated with sand or bead.

AlanDITD
23-02-2010, 07:28 PM
And I thought you were talking about something far more exciting!!!!!!!!

I know i was hoping he said dead bodies, i have a mate who could do with some work

Gowf
23-02-2010, 07:29 PM
I know of places in Birmingham that will do it for around £800. But to be fair, im wondering if i can get it done cheaper. What im doing needs to be done on a conservative budget. Well, for the moment at least.

Davezj
23-02-2010, 08:00 PM
It says the place is in Dudly but they don't say the the name of the company, only that it is a full imersion dipping.

don't forget that if anything aluminum goes in to the dipping process it does not come out it get disolved in the process.

in the credits it says one of the featured companies was called "Suface Processing" which sounds the right type of name. maybe you should search on them based in Dudly.

Gowf
23-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Yep, they are £800 for acid dip and electrophoretic coating. Would be good if i could find somewhere closer and preferably cheaper.

Confused
23-02-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm thinking of something similar for my Anglia, as and when I get round to it!

I got a similar quote from Surface Processing, it's (so far) the only one I've found that will do full shells.

I'll be waiting with baited breath for any cheaper alternatives, too!

(Especially as I'm considering dipping, plating, then working on it for another year or two, and modifying/repairing, then having it done again - that's a lot of money to have it done twice! I won't have the time to get it dipped, work on it, then have it dipped again without it corroding to fook if I don't get it plated first time, hence the massive prices I'll be looking at paying!)

Gowf
23-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Yep unfortunately thats the way to do it. Ive got a MK1 golf shell thats pretty decent to be fair, all the repair work to the chasis has been done, but........ as its going to be spaceframed i need all the paint, underseal and rust removed so as i can start to seamweld it. As long as you keep the shells (once coated) in a fairly damp free environment youl be fine. I have found people that will blast full shells and etch prime for 300 ish but not sure if that will actualy remove the rust completely or not damage the bodywork (although to be fair its not really that important as most of the panels will be replaced).

Im in no rush at the moment, as i still need to speak to a man about storage ;)

Nutter_John
23-02-2010, 09:09 PM
My man behind me is looking at buying a soda blasting kit so I will have access to it when he does

crazyken76
19-04-2010, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=Gowf]Has anyone had any experience or knowlege of any acid dipping companies in or around the hertfordshire area?

Im looking to get a small car shell acid dipped and either etch-primed or electrophoreticaly primed. Just not sure on prices or peoples experiences of such things. Want to stay away from paint and rust removal by blasting, due to the severity on the metal (if trying to get rid of rust)[/QUOT

were was that silver vr4 done at that was totaly rebuilt

Gowf
19-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Well so much for the £800 lies that i was told.

For stripping and e-coating my shell comes in at £1590, doesnt look that the budget can stretch quite as far as that.... so back to the blasting idea (or a lot of nitromores)

crazyken76
19-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Well so much for the £800 lies that i was told.

For stripping and e-coating my shell comes in at £1590, doesnt look that the budget can stretch quite as far as that.... so back to the blasting idea (or a lot of nitromores)

ouch u can buy a vr4 for that price lol

steelie600
19-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Gareth, years ago I had my series 1 rs turbo dipped and primed and painted at Rolls-Royce in Crewe (the factory!) As my uncle is in charge of the bodyshop there. Its now Bentley Motors but im not too sure if the service is still available. Cost me in 1998 £3000 for acid dipping, galvanising, panel repair/replacement and painting, and weve all seen Rolls-Royce paint!!! May be worth an ask if you want me to??

Gowf
19-04-2010, 03:13 PM
I know a fair few folk that work at Bentley, could be worth a shout. There is going to be about a years gap between dipping and painting though, due to quantity of work thats involved

steelie600
19-04-2010, 03:16 PM
I shall ask about dipping and galvanising then, report back shortly.

Gowf
19-04-2010, 03:18 PM
To be honest mate, not even that worried about getting it galvanised. Its going to add too much weight. Id prefer just to etch primer it. Still waiting to hear back from a few companies regarding it.

steelie600
19-04-2010, 03:50 PM
He is asking the question of the bosses now. Apparently this service hasnt been carried out since Rolls-Royce and Bentley split, but all the equipment is still there as some of the cars going into production need starting again.

Gowf
19-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Found a man that can. Prostrip are getting the car tomorrow morning. Its getting a pyrolysis treatment first to bake all the badness off, then walnut blasted and finaly phosphate coated for £700 cash. So will still need priming and painting, but will be fine for a few weeks whilst i get the welding done.

And so it begins.........

Nick Mann
20-05-2010, 09:57 AM
And so it begins.........

:afro:

miller
20-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Do you get the bag of walnuts after they have been shelled? They go nice with some vanilla ice cream!

Joking aside, excellent news, this is a big stage in the build, exciting times! Pics a plenty please

mike74
20-05-2010, 10:25 AM
id definitely get the shell primed ASAP as phosphating doesn't really give that much corrosion protection over prolonged periods. we use it at work quite a lot but, its usually phosphated AND oiled too to prevent rust formation. i seem to remember that you can buy tins of a galvanising solution that simply brushes onto bare metal...this might be worth considering too...

Mark 4
20-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Good work Gareth. That is a very good price.

Gowf
20-05-2010, 04:56 PM
id definitely get the shell primed ASAP as phosphating doesn't really give that much corrosion protection over prolonged periods. we use it at work quite a lot but, its usually phosphated AND oiled too to prevent rust formation. i seem to remember that you can buy tins of a galvanising solution that simply brushes onto bare metal...this might be worth considering too...

True, it will be primed as soon as i can, but there will be a fair bit of welding to do before that can happen

gallvr4
20-05-2010, 06:00 PM
did you try this................you could get a six pack for better value..............

http://cillitbang.co.uk/index.shtml:mexicanwav :mexicanwav /woot2 /woot2 /woot2

Gowf
20-05-2010, 06:02 PM
did you try this................you could get a six pack for better value..............

http://cillitbang.co.uk/index.shtml:mexicanwav :mexicanwav /woot2 /woot2 /woot2

You are one cunny funt. I take it thats industry standard in Edgeworthstown?

Kieran
20-05-2010, 06:03 PM
You are one cunny funt.

/lol

Good price Gowf. From memory, Surface Processing want about £1000 minimum for the full chemical strip/clean/phosphate process. More if it's a bigger car.

Gowf
20-05-2010, 06:06 PM
like i said, think it was around £1600 for just the shell, and its not exactly big! All dropped off though, so il wait and see how much of it is left in a couple of weeks time!