PDA

View Full Version : Learning every day

getaway_driver2003
23-02-2010, 12:29 PM
So i'm learning every day new things about my Legnum... Firstly it seems i have the same problem a lot of others have had with a dodgy fuel gauge... Got to just below the quarter level and i started hopping down the road /duh Thankfully was just near a petrol station so got filled up. can't decide if it's worth the effort to try and fix yet... I might decide if i run out of juice in the middle of nowheresville!

So anyways, had my first service and have noticed that a lot of threads say if you get a tapping noise on startup it's a fair indication she's ready for a service... but i'm still getting tapping!?! Others have said it's coz it's a V6 but that seems pretty lame... any suggestions.

I'm also after a set of mats for the old girl, the ones that were in her are a little old now... I'd get the ones in the club shop but they're £90 people!?! I have to fill up with juice often enough, i can't affort to put mats that expensive in as well!!! Anyone know who does a decent set of carpet mats?

Also spotted a thread about rear wiper blades not clearing the whole rear screen. The guy put a new blade on the back for me as the old one had perished but it only clears the bottom half of the glass. Has anyone had that fault before and managed to resolve it? Or is it just a cheap wiper blade at fault...

And while i'm on wiper blades, mine are squeaking like a stuck pig at the moment, it's driving me mad. They look like pretty new Bosch blades but wondered if there is something specific that might be causing it... Sometimes you don't hear a peep from them then the next swish an almight racket kicks in...:sick:

So how can i get some pics of the motor posted on? I want to show her off!

miller
23-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Best advice on the wipers is...get a wet wipe or similar, lift the wiper up and between your thumb and forefinger wipe the blade itself a number of times until its clean.

Fuel pump is exactly same as mine, what happens is the fuel pump cannister rotates in its housing, thus not leaving the level sensor enough clearance to drop all the way to empty, it snags on the chamfer of the tank.

The rear wipers are a notorious half clean jobby on most legnums, something you learn to live with, WD40 the spring and attach a strong decent blade for max coverage.

Use the 'uploader' to attach pictures. When you click to reply use the 'Go Advanced' button to get maximum editing at your respose. Underneath this is the uploader. Your jpeg files need to be a certain size. It will reccommend you a soze when you start uploading

Mike

Atik
23-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Welcome :)

Fuel gauge is always hit and miss. Some cars are bad and others seem fine. It might be that your fuel sensor thing has twisted around. Have a look for a thread regarding this posted by miller. There is some discussion about it on that thread which may be useful.

The tappets are a common thing and as long as you are serviced and oiled up properly, its something that you can ignore as long as the noise dowsnt bother you too much.

Mats are at the price they are as they are custom cut and embroidered with CVR4 on them. You can fit some much cheaper generic make and fitting. Just ensure thet the pedals dont get stuck on the mats as you could be in for a dangerous surprise if that happens.

With the rear wiper, have a measure of the distance from where the wiper arm joins onto the wiper blade, to the top of the glass. Thats the max length blade you can fit. If you find the wiper isnt clearing enough, fit a longer blade.

Squeaky blades. Try cleaning them with glass cleaner/vinegar. I found that helped with mine. Now they only sqeak when the glass is not wet and the wipers are on.

VR4Kaos
23-02-2010, 12:46 PM
hi and welcome to vr4 club
Carlos1975 is selling some club matts at the moment for £30 pm him im sure he will help you out.
Lots of vr4 owners are using Amsoil oil i beleive its the best the vr4 can get lol im sure ive read a thred or two sayin the Amsoil eliminated the tapping but don't take my word on that one best reading up and as for wiper blades there cheap enough to replace with new to get rid of that horrible squeaking noise
can't wait for your pics btw

orionn2o
23-02-2010, 12:48 PM
You can of course remove the tappet noise with better Lash adjusters. There are threads on it, its worth a search.

We did a group buy from the USA a few years ago.

martin_y
23-02-2010, 02:28 PM
My front wipers were squeaking not from the blades, but the mechanism itself.

I used some masking tape on the windscreen to mark where the blades sit at arest
Removed wiper arms
Removed black grille
Sprayed wd40 on all joints.
After a minute or 2, the squeak went away.
Refit grille
refit wiper arms using the markers
remove masking tape

getaway_driver2003
23-02-2010, 04:30 PM

I definately think it's the blade on the glass rather than the mechanism but it's worth looking at if a bloody good clean doesn't do the trick.

Cheers

Roberto
23-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Are the floor mats old and freyed looking or just grubby.

You could allways try to put them through the dish-washer!!!

Sounds mad but worked very nicely for one of mine.

getaway_driver2003
23-02-2010, 04:32 PM
can't wait for your pics btw

Yup, can't wait to post them, been battering on since i got the car to anyone who'll listen about my new rocket... And boy she looks sweet! Gonna get some tonight if i can, got to make sure i see my daughter before she goes to sleep otherwise the wife would kill me:violin:

getaway_driver2003
23-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Are the floor mats old and freyed looking or just grubby.

You could allways try to put them through the dish-washer!!!

Sounds mad but worked very nicely for one of mine.

They're old and freyed and grubby! but a clean might be an option... No dishwasher though, might have to pop round to you and borrow yours!

Roberto
23-02-2010, 04:36 PM
You could try using a jet wash car wash, but they do take a good while to dry out.

giblet
23-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Stick the mats in your washing machine, and then wait for them to dry :p

If you are wanting to buy some new mats, I have found the canon ones to be rather nice.

My brother has a set of these - http://www.cannoncarmats.com/ProfileIIVelourUniversalSet-328-d.html in his jag and they dont look out of place. They have cut lines so you can cut them to fit, but I have never had a problem with them. Had a set in my sisters old polo as well, which I kept and am planning to use as overmats to protect my ralliart ones

getaway_driver2003
28-02-2010, 07:50 PM

I used some masking tape on the windscreen to mark where the blades sit at arest
Removed wiper arms
Removed black grille
Sprayed wd40 on all joints.
After a minute or 2, the squeak went away.
Refit grille
refit wiper arms using the markers
remove masking tape

Time to eat humble pie, removed both blades and turned the wipers on and the damn things still squeaked! Looks like you might be on to something. Sorry dude... I'll give this a try on my next day off... Cheers for the tip.

BTW, do you need to mark where the blade sits because the arm can sit anywhere on the mechanism?

martin_y
28-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Yes, i put some masking tape on the window near the edge of the blade. Then i just marked on the tape exactly where the blade was sitting. Simple.