PDA

View Full Version : Bent Rim

RussBird82
23-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Well it's that time of year again when I'm obliged to pay the government £200+ for the pleasure of driving on their poorly maintained roads and as such can't help but feel they should be paying us for putting up with such badly maintained surfaces?!

Anyway, as I was recently caught out by a damn pothole in Surrey (possibly the worst roads in the country), I took one of my recently refurbished (at considerable expense) nearside wheels off to find that the rim was bent. Question is simply: - is a bent rim enough to put the wheel out of balance? Or do all Galants shudder a bit above 70mph? This can vary from quite considerable shudder on some roads to virtually 100% smooth at speeds of up to 100mph on other surfaces. The tracking is fine and the car stays true at all speeds.

miller
23-02-2010, 03:00 PM
a bent rim of any shape isnt good news to smooth driving? It will soon take its toll on the tyre tread and sidewalls.

Any pics of damage?

Mike

RussBird82
23-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Pretty difficult to tell from this angle as I used my camera with the wheel in situ so it looks worse than it actually is. Not sure whether I should just re-balance or pay £40-£50 to get it fixed? The original refurb cost £60 for 4 wheels.

ritch_w
23-02-2010, 04:39 PM
that doesnt look too bad.

do you have a v6 sport per chance?

RussBird82
23-02-2010, 11:25 PM
V6 'Elegance' as the women dig my leather seats (not)

Referb wheels were best 4 from 8 originals I had. Out of the 4 I took off the car last summer 2 had pretty big pot-hole dents. So do you think I could get away with a re-balance (£10)? Or shall I just pay the money and get wheel straightened and balanced (£45)? Or get a whole new wheel restored/repainted and keep the dented one as spare (£60)? /Hmmm

ritch_w
24-02-2010, 07:31 PM
try getting it balanced first, the wheel monkey should be able to tell from balancing machine if they can balance it out or not.

the V6 17" alloys are made form chocolate grade aluminium so it could be an never ending succession of paying for straightening and refurbing. prob cheaper buying after market alloys

RussBird82
25-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Yeah might be the cheaper option as I can envisage it happening again. I'm going to put a claim into Surrey Council for the damage. Only problem is they require photos/measurements of the pothole. Bit difficult considering I live 100 miles away :(