PDA

View Full Version : size of downpipes???

gallvr4
23-02-2010, 10:44 PM
hi all..........just a quick question!!

would someone be able to tell me the I.D. of the RPW downpipes???

2.5" or 3"

thanks

brendan

Gowf
23-02-2010, 11:16 PM
From what i remember there was a bit of controvosy on the subject. I think that they were 2.5" OD to 3"OD. There was definately a confusion between the OD and ID.

But they should have been 2.5"ID to 3"ID collector

Nutter_John
23-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Nods at what Gowf says

gallvr4
23-02-2010, 11:53 PM
thanks lads....have accesss to lots of 3" stainless pipe and a pipe bender and tig welder.....only thing thats got me was the flange bolt holes with 3" pipe.....very tight for space there....

will have a go the weekend!!!!

brendan

Nutter_John
23-02-2010, 11:55 PM
I have flanges for the turbos and the exhaust end , from when wrd made one set

give me a shout if youy want any , cheap cheap :)

gallvr4
23-02-2010, 11:58 PM
I have flanges for the turbos and the exhaust end , from when wrd made one set

give me a shout if youy want any , cheap cheap :)

thanks very much nutter........but i already got a spare original downpipe form a nice gentleman called kiteman for this so i don't mess up my own one if it all gose tits up!!!!!!!!

Davezj
24-02-2010, 12:40 AM
can i suggest you make up some kind of reducer end to the 3" stainless to the end of the turbo little 6" long down pipe as the flange is just over 2" ID at the flange, the bolt hole will be very very very tight to the outside of the 3" stainless pipe.

here is something to take note of the factory downpipe is very cleverly designed as the flange does not make the pipe to pipe flow seal. the pipe id of the little turbo down pipe has a gap to the end of the flange about 5mm, and the flange on the downpipe has about 5mm pipe id sticking out past the end of the flange to kind of interlock with the small turbo downpipe, so the gas flow is not disrupted by the flange joint itself. so if you just stick a standard flange to flange joint onto the bottom of the turbo pipe then you will have a little void around the flange area that will disrupt the gas flow.

how much of an affect this will have i don't know.

have a look at the scrap downpipe flange which connect to the turbo and you will see what i mean.