PDA

View Full Version : Q. Any Unusual sounds whilst in drive & reverse.

Bibsy
25-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Hi Im a fairly new Leggie owner, has any of you guys had any unusual sounds from car whilst being driven at how was it fixed??? -

Mine at low speed its like a tap tap tap / du du du then turns into like a wurring sound.

The sound increases and decreases with speed.

Can this be related to the tracking (as its currently well out til I can get it done on the weekend) or the arch liners as they are looking pretty knackered.

Any response welcome as it driving me nuts as Im not using the car till its sorted.

Thanks

Atik
25-02-2010, 12:22 AM
It could be any number of things. As simple as a stone stuck in the tyre tread.

Where is it coming from? Can you feel it through any part of the car? Can you get someone to drive the car past you and listen out for where it comes from?

Nutter_John
25-02-2010, 12:25 AM
Auto or propper gearbox ?

Bibsy
25-02-2010, 12:33 AM
Cheers , Ill check the rears for stones mate but the fronts have been changed tonight for other wheels.

The garage has told me its me previous front wheel being damaged and out of true with major outer tyre wear, But I dont recall hitting anything?

The sound is at around 15 - 20 mph. will keep looking though, Just seeing if anyone else had something similar??

Would you reckon mis aligned wheels create a sound like this????.

Bibsy
25-02-2010, 12:33 AM
Its an auto!!

Atik
25-02-2010, 12:42 AM
If there has been a knock at some point, then there a fairly good chance something is out of place. Might be worth taking the wheel off to look for any obvious signs that something is loose.

If you are not that mechanically minded, and think you might not spot eeven the most obvious of problems, might be worth taking off the other side wheel and just comparing every joint/component.

peter thomson
25-02-2010, 01:37 AM
Its an auto!!

A proper gearbox then.:scholar:

Nick Mann
25-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Check the bolts into the torque converter - there is an inspection plate at the bottom of the bellhousing.