PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Negative Camber

sart0ri
26-02-2010, 04:44 AM
Hi All,

I would to increase the camber on my car to -3.5 front and -3 rear, has anyone done this? or know of places that make adjustable components for the Galant? Adjustable Castor would also be good.

Regards,
Adam

bradc
26-02-2010, 06:25 AM
Just lower it some more!

Subaru ETA
26-02-2010, 08:52 AM
there is no camber adjustment on the car. do a search and you will find helpful info - Gly has done all this before

scott.mohekey
26-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Wasn't gly decreasing negative camber though? I know there is two ways of doing that, either with longer bolts and spacing washers replacing the ones holding the top arm's U mounts to the chassis, or aftermarket camber adjustable U mounts. The former won't let you increase negative camber, the latter might. As brad says, lowering the car more is a sure way of doing it.

For the front, there's camber adjustable parts to replace the ones which go through the strut tower. Again, I don't know if they will allow an increase of negative camber.

taupodrifta
27-02-2010, 02:38 AM
going lower will definately increase the rear but front ime not sure as mine is sitting on adjusties wound right down the rear is sitting at -3.0 but fronts will only sit at-1

sart0ri
27-02-2010, 04:35 AM
Unfortunately lowering the car will affect the suspension geometry. I don't care how it looks, I just want to go around corners on a race track. A few people have corrected neg camber after lowering but I think they were more concerned with tyre wear than handling.

bradc
27-02-2010, 04:44 AM
You could buy one of those camber kits and see if it will let you increase the camber a bit more. If it doesn't then you should be able to sell it again without losing much money.

Zitchu
01-03-2010, 09:38 AM
You sure you want that much as thats a fair bit for a road car. Even for trackdays.

fuel
01-03-2010, 10:20 PM
-3.5 front and -3.0 rear isn't going to make isn't necessarily going to make it handle any better.. and however better it will go around a corner it will be adversely affected in other areas of handling.

I was running -1.5 front and -3.2 rear on mine and it seemed to corner well, but I had the toe out a little wider than usual which helped turn in greatly, but with semi slicks on and in a straight line on normal roads the car tended to tramline and would follow any ruts in the road. This was in an E54A Galant though which is FWD but the suspension is all the same.

sart0ri
01-03-2010, 11:28 PM
I don't do many k's during the week and use the wife's car on the weekend so am happy to have the car biased towards the track. On track days I am wearing out the outside sidewalls on the front tyres, and am not using the inside 3rd of the rear tyres so a big increase in neg camber looks like the way to go. I was planning to set the car up using settings from an Evo as a starting point.

fuel
03-03-2010, 11:35 PM
what size and profile tyre are you running? Yep camber has a lot to play with tyre wear on the track but -3.5 on the front is just extreme and almost unachievable with the multi link suspension. I found the change from -0.5 to -2.2 on the front of one of my cars (with macpherson struts) was enough to minimise outside wear on the front tyres (with 205/55 R16s on 8" rims).

sart0ri
04-03-2010, 12:50 PM
235/45/17. I have no idea what the final setting will be, but the more adjustment I can get, the more settings I can try.
I have ordered some suspension components for an Eclipse from the US, I will let you know how it goes.

sart0ri
28-04-2010, 05:20 AM
Negative Camber Update: I bought some adjustable ball joints for the front suspension from US Ebay. A suspension shop installed them and set the front at -2.5deg.

Turn in and cornering speed was massively improved on the track. I took 2.2 seconds off my previous best at Wakefield Park Motorsport track in Goulburn. There was no noticeable deterioration to the cars handling on the road.

Kitty's VR4
28-04-2010, 05:30 AM
Oooooow, links to the product/seller please Adam.....

sart0ri
28-04-2010, 07:28 AM
I bought the Adjustable ball joints from US EBay
Brand was Springtech
Part# was 6943-11EC
Seller was suspensionmax
Item was called "95 96 97 98 99 ECLIPSE Front Adjustable Camber KIT"
Price was $US99 +$US73 shipping

scott.mohekey
28-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Are these the bolts that hold the top arm on to the chassis? If so, they're not really ball joints, they're bolts with bushes for the arms to connect to, kinda. Here's an auction selling them on trademe: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Mitsubishi/Other/auction-285732687.htm

bradc
28-04-2010, 10:51 AM
So what were you before? Around -1 degree or so?

sart0ri
28-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Not sure, I think between 0 and -1

So what were you before? Around -1 degree or so?

sart0ri
28-04-2010, 02:22 PM
The ball joints are on the opposite side of the upper control arm to those parts in your link, there is only one ball joint on each side of the front of the car.

Here are the parts that SPC sell, I am thinking about getting the adjustable arm next, but they have not responded to my emails.

http://www.spcalignment.com/PROD_DIR/SPC_PROD_SEARCH_DYN.cfm?cmd=Cam&cmd2=72170&cmd3=

Are these the bolts that hold the top arm on to the chassis? If so, they're not really ball joints, they're bolts with bushes for the arms to connect to, kinda. Here's an auction selling them on trademe: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Mitsubishi/Other/auction-285732687.htm

scott.mohekey
28-04-2010, 08:45 PM
The ball joints are on the opposite side of the upper control arm to those parts in your link, there is only one ball joint on each side of the front of the car.

Here are the parts that SPC sell, I am thinking about getting the adjustable arm next, but they have not responded to my emails.

http://www.spcalignment.com/PROD_DIR/SPC_PROD_SEARCH_DYN.cfm?cmd=Cam&cmd2=72170&cmd3=

Ah, I remember seeing these around.

martin_y
28-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Are those arms any good? If I want adjustable camber do I just need the arms?

sart0ri
29-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Are those arms any good? If I want adjustable camber do I just need the arms?

I just got a reply from SPC.

The Eclipse control arms have been discontinued and are no
longer avalible. We are just offering our adjustable ball joints for that car
at this time.