PDA

View Full Version : Another ball joint failure

Daft Lad Picko
26-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Today, whilst approaching a derestricted zone out of a local viollage I had the lower ball joint shear off. Another 4 or 5 seconds and I would have been hard on the throttle doing substantially more than my 25mph. My lower arms were replaced by the previous owner and came from Camskill in May 2007 (I have the receipt to prove). I will be buying OE parts to replace the broken one and the other side before that goes too. Initial investigation shows minimal damage to the bodywork (a couple of panel gaps need resetting and the arch extension needs persuading back with a bit of heat) and minimal damage to anything else (although I will need to replace the inner CV boot, which ripped when the drive shaft was pulled out). Just wanted to let you all know that another Camskill arm has failed.

It could have been a lot worse though, at least I didn't have the family in or wasn't doing ***mph.

ANTHONY
26-02-2010, 05:46 PM
unlucky mate but a least your ok

elnevio
26-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Unlucky. As Anthony says, at least no-one was hurt.

These failures appear to happen at low speed. I've not seen a high speed one.

Normally, however, it seems to happen at manoeuvring speed. Were you going in a straight line then?

The Camskill arms are known (and documented on this site) to be potentially problematic. Indeed, they no longer sell them, and only stock OE arms.

Hopefully, you won't be without for too long! :)

Johnny_Cashed
26-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Sorry to hear it, but glad no-one was hurt. These all seem to happen to VR4s, has it happened to a normal/less fun galant yet? Is the part no. the same?

Davezj
26-02-2010, 08:53 PM
this is still a worrying topic. sorry to here you have gone through this.

i am so glad no one was hurt in this failure. you are a lucky man, because as you say 20 second later and it could have 60mph+.

i think mine are going to get replaced very soon under recall.