PDA

View Full Version : Can the club have it own FTP site.

Davezj
27-02-2010, 09:15 AM
here is one for you.

would it be possible for the site to have it's own FTP site, well space on one with it own name and password.

so large usfull stuff can be uploaded to it like caps ASA manuanl, rather than relying on people to host there own ftp site which inevitabley breaks and the data that the lniks point to are lost/broken.

there seems to be more and more of these lost data links poping up.

usually due to older members leaving, that were kind enough to post the links in the first place, and when they leave they either stop paying the ftp site or just delete the data from it as it is not relivent to them any more.

Ryan
27-02-2010, 09:17 AM
I would be willing and able to host this. /yes

CAPS is still (at least it was available 3 weeks ago) from BernMc's server :)

Davezj
27-02-2010, 09:33 AM
no offence meant to anyone that does host FTP sites for the club you are doing a fantastic service to the club and i for one very much appriciate you doing this.

But this is my point exactly, these ftp sites are not controlled or funded by the club and there for can be switched off at any time without warning. all the data on the ftp site is lost forever.

White Lightning
27-02-2010, 10:05 AM
It would definately be possible, yes.

One for Ken and NJ to look at. :)

Ryan
27-02-2010, 10:05 AM
*nods*

I remain able / willing to conduct any hosting that the club may require. /bounce

Nutter_John
27-02-2010, 10:58 AM
I will raise the question in the commie area

my first thoughts are around the legality of the software we could be hosting , for example CAPs and ASA are hacked pirated software

Davezj
27-02-2010, 11:33 AM
very ture john i had not considered the legality of it all being the clubs name. just access issues.

but that is why the committee do such a good job looking after us all.

is it possible to take this stand point or is just not true and you are all liable.
"can you get round this sort of thing by having zipped/encoded and it is not atually the thing in question until it is unzipped/decoded and then it is down to the individual unzipping the item to take responsiblity for his /her actions."

Nutter_John
27-02-2010, 11:08 PM
AFAIK the law would mean that even if we do not know the contents of the files that we would still be guilty given it is our server .

I will feed back over the next few days on what the commie's decide