PDA

View Full Version : can it be made easier/quicker to upload pictures.

Davezj
27-02-2010, 09:27 AM
i have found more and more people are using external hosting sites for picture which are included in threads. which is not a bad thing at first as it mean the CVR4 web site does not have to manage the picture data which would take up valuable server space, but these picture seem to suffer with lots of broken links.

yes i can under stand that it is up to the supplier of the pictures to maintain the picture location but it is not always there top priority to do so particularly if they leave the club.

it needs to be made easier/quicker to upload picture directly to the website then they will be available to everyone.

sorry i have no examples to hand.

one other thing, now i know it is totally out of you control where people choose to host the pictures, but sites like photo bucket are very popular for doing this, however more and more companies are blocking sites like this from there can be displayed at work list of websites and it make the threads look very odd indeed. can it be suggest that all picture are upload direct to the site rather than using external hosting sites in the blurb on how to do stuff.

cheers

Ryan
27-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Members have 100MB quota to store images on CVR4. That should be more than sufficient if they want the images to remain there as long as the club exists.

elnevio
27-02-2010, 10:15 AM
It is the general idea that all pictures are uploaded to CVR4, rather than hosted elsewhere. However, the [Attach] tags bug is not yet fixed, and the uploader only works for a few people. Hopefully, these will be items sorted out in the coming weeks.

The 100MB limit was a bit of a pain for a couple of people (Wodj springs to mind), and you can't delete pictures that are irrelevant, so once you hit the limit, that's it. However, this was when we we on the old server and paid by the GB of site space. When we left Hosting Unlimited, I think the site size limit was about 12GB. As we now have 250GB of space, I suspect that the pictures limit can be raised - even if only on individual accounts, but I would have thought that a general raising of the limit would be fine.

All TBC, of course!

Davezj
27-02-2010, 11:35 AM
it is good that these raised topics are looked at.

thanks all.

can the process be made any simpler with an automatic picture resizer when you try to upload a too big pictures or allow larger pictures, but then they eat up storage space.

Atik
27-02-2010, 01:55 PM
...automatic picture resizer when you try to upload a too big picture...
I like that idea. I've been caught out on that loads of times when trying o upload something. I've seen it on other forums so it is definitely something thats available.

I am sure these will be discussed in the near future /yes

giblet
28-02-2010, 03:36 AM
All my pictures are hosted on photobucket as the uploader just doesnt work for me. Tried it on different laptops, different operating systems, different browers and different internet connections but it just wont work :(

WizardKing
31-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Never had a problem with the uploader, myself.

An excellent but small program I use is 'Prish Resizer.' It will even install resizing options into Windows' right-click menu. This feature makes it very user-friendly, instead of having to open a separate program when resizing.

Best thing is . . . it's free !

Davezj
31-03-2010, 10:07 PM
is there any way of seeing how much of your aloted space (mega bytes wise) you have used.

also can i delete any picture i have uploaded in the past.

EDIT:-
sorry just reread Nev's update post and no you can not delete stuff you have uploaded.

Nutter_John
31-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Things like this are on the list of jobs to do , it's just the list is very very long :)

We are making plans for the first stage which is a forum upgrade , once that is clear all the minor issues will be corrected

Davezj
01-04-2010, 05:49 PM
hows going to be a busy boy then.

you are, you are.

but seriously, we appreciate all your effort! good luck.

and it is big thanks going out to all people involved in keeping this Club going.

phosty
02-04-2010, 06:37 PM
I understand why you don't allow people to delete files they have uploaded - but could you at least show all the pictures an individual has uploaded on their personal control panel? I have found that I occasionally uploaded images more than once as I couldn't find the link to the earlier picture.