PDA

View Full Version : My 6g Vr4...

Axeboy
27-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Well, most of you may know that I got this from these here forums about a year ago... :hat:

I thought id share a few pics...

Plan is to keep it standard looking externally... its got a big TD05 on it plus some other bits and bobs like eManage etc etc and running 1 bar.

Its mad. mad. Its like a speedboat with too much power :)

Thoughts/Ideas/Anything wrong with it, please point it out! :flamed:

MarkSanne
27-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Looks great! I've been a long time 6G fan. And owned several. Never a VR4 though. Last year I sold both 6G GTI's. Love that rear spoiler on it! And the rear wiper (although I wouldn't put it upright) option is great too! Only 6G that I like even better is the extremely rare ZR4 (VR4 in hatchback model).

Axeboy
27-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Haha

The wiper ended up at that position through its own doing... :)

It now doesnt move :)

The Ox
27-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Lovin that /yes

Did this car come from somewhere in Yorkshire - I was aware of an E-plated one around the Bradford area for sale about a year ago.

She looks nice and tidy - a real street sleeper with everything debadged. Liking the original wheels too. I don't have a set of those although the bigger aftermarket alloys help to resolve some of the mad speedboat issues :jester:

The other difference I've spotted is the boot spoiler which is slightly chunkier than the one I have. I have no idea if mine is original or not though.

Beautiful car you have there. Would be nice to get a few of the surviving 6Gs together at one of the meets or shows but I think that's probably just a pipe dream.

Axeboy
27-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Yeah, it was for sale here a year ago and came from Bradford.

Its needing lots done to it..., the todo list is massive :)

You dont know what discs and pads I should be looking for do you? I believe they are 256mm on the front?

The Ox
27-02-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm afraid I can't help with the brakes as the car I have was heavily modified two owners ago. It's running Evo 3 front discs and calipers.

Somebody amongst us will hopefully have the necessary info.

bradc
27-02-2010, 08:31 PM
If it is running brakes that are smaller than what a late 4 stud evo has, ie 2 or 3, surely the obvious thing to do would be to get a complete set of brakes off one of those.

Axeboy
27-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Aye, could do

Its a slippery road tho... trying to keep it cheap.. dont temp me!

Wobble
27-02-2010, 09:13 PM
i like that alot . always been a fan of old school:smitten:

Kieran
27-02-2010, 11:12 PM
/Hissy/Hissy/Hissy/Hissy/Hissy/Hissy

SGHOM
27-02-2010, 11:21 PM
I've spotted a few problems with your car :beatnik2:

Best thing you can do is drop it off at mine & I'll sort them. I promise to get it back to you within a year or two ! :beatnik2:

Axeboy
27-02-2010, 11:55 PM
hahaha :)

Current to do list iiiiiiiiiis:

clean the engine bay
renew front discs and pads then flush fluid, maybe new lines too
new amsoil
good clean out of interior and fit seat covers on front
de-sticker where needed and add vr4 club stickers
source a roof strip for one missing
investigate the central locking not working
look at getting a new steering wheel & gearknob
secure drivers mirror
consider turning off 4ws
PS fluid leak - sort
consider removing bulb from cat warning (new exhuast caused)
poly bushes & anti roll bars to fit
source a cheap double din stereo - on way
Fit Magnecor igniton leads
Fit Evo2 Maf
Fit Forge Recirculating BOV - if not needed sell
Fit Evo 8 360 Fuel Pump
speedo conversion
Fit BPR7ES NGK Plugs
Fit k&n filter
underseal if needed

giblet
28-02-2010, 03:03 AM
Loving the retro cool, very nice!

Subaru ETA
28-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Looks great! I've been a long time 6G fan. And owned several. Never a VR4 though. Last year I sold both 6G GTI's. Love that rear spoiler on it! And the rear wiper (although I wouldn't put it upright) option is great too! Only 6G that I like even better is the extremely rare ZR4 (VR4 in hatchback model).

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mitsubishi/auction-270134417.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mitsubishi/auction-264135130.htm

bradc
28-02-2010, 09:45 AM
That second one is very nice!

Ryan
28-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Indeed it is! Nice and unmolested.

ritch_w
28-02-2010, 01:55 PM
looking good Scott!!!

It might be worth trying to find out if the discs are similar to 8G V6 discs - the stud pattern should be the same!

Axeboy
28-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Finding it hard to work out what size they actually are.. ill try and measure today but fronts should be 266 or 256mm

Johnny_Cashed
28-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Saw it on retrorides, looking good

valleyforge1
28-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Looks well good

aboo
28-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Very nice VR4 there. I like a lot.

Axeboy
28-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Done a bit today..

Washed and hoovered the insides
Put in my snapon seat covers
changed gearknob to a spare Tomei one I had in the garage
added new mats
added k&n filter
added bonnet badge that was missing
fixed boot lights (were loose and leaking water in)
Fixed both wing mirrors (very loose)
One hose was completely perished, replaced

And finally, added one Clubvr4 sticker :bananadan

Checked bulbs etc and all good, so I can remove some minor bits from the todo list...

Tomorrow ill attack the plugs, leads and central locking (only opens drivers door, but internal button does all doors).

Ordered some amsoil and a new filter, so on Saturday i'll change the oil and filter as well as bleed the brakes and sort the PS fluid leak.

All good so far :afro:

fuel
01-03-2010, 03:47 AM
Hey, I saw you posted this on galantvr4.org also.

The brakes should be 265mm up front and 266mm at the rear, standard pre-facelift brakes which are the same on all other pre-facelift 6G Galants (ones which don't have drums at the rear).

To use Evo1-3 or 7G VR-4 calipers you will need to use the strut to caliper section of the Evo/7G VR-4 brake hose as the 6G uses screw thread fitting while Evo1-3 and 7G VR-4 use a banjo bolt arrangement. Other than that the calipers and 276mm rotors will bolt on.

fuel
01-03-2010, 03:48 AM
the FL 6G non-VR-4 use the same 256mm rotors as the CD5A Lancer GSR, and 4 stud Galant/Legnums. The calipers again have the screw thread brake line fitting.

Axeboy
01-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks mate, great help. I checked CAPS last night and got the codes for the discs and yep, as you said, 265mm on the front.

CAPS is so damn handy!

pezza
01-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Nice mota mate!

Keep up the good work! One day , one day.... /Hmmm

I only drove Mo's one which was modified (to what extent with AVC-R and SAFC I don'tknow) but that 2nd and long 3rd gear pull was absolutely savage! :D The front lifted like a powerboat!

I can't imagine what TD05 power would feel like in one o those tho! :quasi:

Axeboy
03-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Got some nice Amsoil today :)

Fluids all getting done this weekend... will update as I go. My magnecor leads were a touch too short, so onto the bay they go... also managed to get a few small jobs done:

removed old stickers from windscreen
turned off japanese wing lights (not for me :) )
Fitted BPR7ES NGK Plugs x 4
clock secured (was loose)
central locking sorted

Also managed to order quite a few little bits from mitusbishi... superb they were. Much cheapness even tho they are special order.

Axeboy
06-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Update today.. managed to get a bit more done...

bled brakes
fitted new Battery Cover MU800964
Amsoil Filter and TSO 0w30 Oil added inc new sump plug & washer
flushed coolant
sorted PS fluid leak
removed old aircan (very restricted, now open on the K&N)

Tomorrows plans are:

Fit short shifter
Fit new FTO steering wheel (no airbag)
Remove paper filter behind MAF
Might try to crush the BOV (recommended on the owner forums)
May attempt to block the EGR
Fit 1/2 size battery to aid airflow

Also sent some pics of my Evo 2 MAF to a supplier to make me a nice converter cable to use the Evo2 MAF with the existing wiring.. 25% more airflow they say

Kieran
07-03-2010, 12:47 AM
Crush the BOV? Whassat do then? Pre-load the spring a bit?

Axeboy
07-03-2010, 12:03 PM
They say....:

"Crush the BOV

The BOV (Blow Off Valve) releases pressure out of the upper intercooler pipe when the throttle plate closes when you shift. This helps keep the turbo spooled. A problem with the stock BOV is that it releases air out of the valve too early. The only time you want to release air is when you are shifting.

The fix is to crush the BOV. Place the BOV in a vise and crush it until the nipple on the top starts to touch the outside edge of the BOV. You still have to vent the BOV back into the air intake hose unless you buy a VPC. "

Axeboy
23-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Update...

Been doing lots of small things recently so ive done:

fitted holding strap to battery
treated and painted old battery tray
sourced owners leather wallet and manual
rewired ISO lead to fit Kenwood JDM Double Din
fitted 1/2 size car battery with extended terminals
MAF silencer removed
short shifter doesnt fit - sold

Ive managed to pick up some Evo 8 Suspension which fits reasonably well, so thats a bonus... for £85!

Also ordered a few bits from Japan using a nice source who can get 2nd hand stuff too. Chap from canada is sending me a new throttle body elbow from a 2g DSM which is a bit of an upgrade. So, lots going on.

Anyone know about the rear brakes on these? I went to change the discs yesterday but cant figure it out... i can only find one bolt on the lower end of the caliper, whereas the fronts have 2 and are easy enough.... anyone got any tips?

Axeboy
18-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Update

Found a cheap Eclipse throttle body intake and fitted that, its a much better design. Also fitted some NGK powerleads and finally fitted the JDM stereo... had to make my own brackets in the end.

Next few weeks ill be doing the injectors and fuel pump while fitting the Evo 2 MAF and this lot:

It consists of:

Evo 2 Maf
Dejon 2g Intake with all the nips on it :)
K&N Filter adapter (so I can use the big original filter on the 2g Maf)
Evo 2 to vr4 MAF cable adapter

Will have to move the battery and redo a lot of hoses, but the combo of the Evo 2 MAF with the Dejon setup gives 25% more air... and the uprated fuel pump with Evo 8 injectors should balance nicely.

Obviously will get the emanage retuned too.

Still waiting on bits from across the world... so will update as and when.

Kieran
18-04-2010, 02:57 PM
This is a thread I like, because it's full of 6G coolness. :afro:

It's also a thread I hate, because it's not MY 6G coolness!! /Hissy :D

Axeboy
22-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Little update

Ordered a full set of samco bends and joiners to enable me to make a hard pipe kit. I have some stainless pipework leftover from my old legnum which ive already cut to size.

Just awaiting some new Jubilee's to fit.

Also, a nardi steering wheel spacer has arrived from Japan to enable fitment of the FTO GPX steering wheel.

I also had a cusco strut brace sent over and that will be fitted too...

Next main issue is moving the battery back and either fitting it in a new tray or forking out for a small race battery in a box... :)

Axeboy
24-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Another wee update

Managed to make a hard pipe kit today which looks good.

Also fitted the missing roof strip, which was from a UK car with roof rack spacers where the other side has none, but im not too fussed.

The nardi spacer didnt fit, so back to the drawing board steering wheel wise.

Fitted new numberplates, the front being a good bit smaller to aid airflow.

Fitted the Cusco strut brace as well

I started to rip out all of the air intake system right back to the turbo and tomorrow ill be trying to move the battery and them fit the full Dejon intake system. Its going to be super tight on the rad fan though..

I might also need to move the BOV further up to the throttle body...

Getting there

Axeboy
20-06-2010, 01:03 PM
I'll get some pics soon, the bay looks a fair bit different now as I have done:

NGK leads from japan
samco radiator hoses (easier to bend than the stock)
fitted dejon intake with 1g K&N, 2g MAF, Iceman 2g Maf converter & Dejon K&N adapter
fitted custom 400mm 63mm pipe with flange and 8mm vacume nipple to allow the BOV to be moved..
Fitted the stock BOV in its new place
Bagged an Odyssey battery (tiny)

Ive blocked off a few bits of pipework to clean up the bay a bit, they aint needed anyway.

Next thing to do is await a new battery tray... now the small one fits i just need to secure it. Once thats in i'll check all hoses and jubilee's to ensure its all tight.

Once thats done, its back to 'The Garage' to have the sway bars and Evo 8 suspension fitted

Axeboy
06-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Engine bay today... quite different to before... getting there!

peter thomson
06-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Looking good Scott. Are the ARB's on yet

Wodjno
06-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Tis certainly looking alot better under there.. Lot's of work done /yes
Keep up the good work :)

Axeboy
07-07-2010, 01:07 AM
thanks guys...

Bars not on yet Petay, thatll be part of the next batch of work along with the shocks/springs :)

pezza
07-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Keep up the good work....

Thats things gonna fly when it's done... Still get a buzz thinking about Mo's one.. that long 2nd and 3rd gear pull on boost....talk about G force!

Axeboy
11-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Well, its back into the garage to have the final batch of work done that I couldnt do (or couldnt be bothered doing before xmas)

Its in for:

Fitting the ARB's from the group buy (ive heard already that it was not an easy job, more so with the rear steering rack)
evo 7/8 suspension to fit
New FPR if needed
Retune Emanage for new MAF and Injectors
redo oil in gearbox and tranfer and diff
renew all discs and pads (266mm front and 265mm rear)
Fit Evo 8 360 Fuel Pump (was a pain in the backside for me, a bit too old)

So hopefully once this is done and its fully retuned due to all the engine work it should be going well. When it comes back its onto the bodywork next... cant wait. :-ished:

Axeboy
15-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Got the car back now.

Holy crap.

Gone from being the softest mattress to the hardest car ive ever driven. The new ARB's combined wiht the evo suspension have tranformed the car. Power is much greater now after being retuned too.

Quite simply, i am over the moon, it just makes me laugh driving it anywhere. On boost is comedy, everything at once and the noise is hilarious.

:) love it

miller
15-03-2011, 10:26 PM
tis uber cool!

pezza
16-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Well done mate.. sounds like a real hoot to drive. Anymore pix ? :-)

ILLEGAL
16-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Quite simply, i am over the moon, it just makes me laugh driving it anywhere. On boost is comedy, everything at once and the noise is hilarious.

:) this is what its all about.. happy much for you bud! should be a good mid-low 12sec. car now.

ritch_w
16-03-2011, 01:28 PM
let me know if you head in the direction of sunny saltcoats? would love to see the beast!

Mark 4
16-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Well done Scott, looks good. Enjoy.

aboo
16-03-2011, 03:35 PM
How about coming along to this Scott. http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?56095-Banzai-Crail-12th-of-June-2011 :)

Axeboy
16-03-2011, 07:32 PM
I seen that mate, id like to. I'll decide nearer the time (depends where I am holiday and work wise) but id love to go

aboo
16-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Hopefully you can make it. Would love to see it run & what kind of time it would put down.

ILLEGAL
17-03-2011, 07:19 AM
should be good for a 12.40 as is with a 1.8 60' if lawnched hard and well.. ??? it could be faster :) hmm i havnt taken into account the fact it has the E-Manage tuned???

oops! i just noticed it was a track event.

aboo
17-03-2011, 07:32 AM
should be good for a 12.40 as is with a 1.8 60' if lawnched hard and well.. ??? it could be faster :) hmm i havnt taken into account the fact it has the E-Manage tuned???

oops! i just noticed it was a track event.
No your right its a 1/4 mile event./yes

pezza
17-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Anymore pix Scott? :-) does it still look the ultimate sleeper? (I am guessing it doesn't like one tho)

Axeboy
17-03-2011, 07:28 PM
I'll get some pics soon. Getting the other wheels on tomorrow and ill see how it looks. If they dont look any good on the car I'll refurb the standard ones and bung them back on

Axeboy
18-03-2011, 02:46 PM
A few pics taken today, first one was just before I changed the wheels over. I'm actually happy with the new ones on, they look quite standard. Car seems to be running sweet. :)

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1520/img00035201103181035.jpg (http://img28.imageshack.us/i/img00035201103181035.jpg/)

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5831/img00036201103181236.jpg (http://img84.imageshack.us/i/img00036201103181236.jpg/)

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/9002/img00037201103181330.jpg (http://img96.imageshack.us/i/img00037201103181330.jpg/)

Dont know why pics aint showing and only links... derb!

pezza
18-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Looks really good Scott. the car looks standard and v understated.. perfect. Looks to be in very good nick and nice in silver.

Like the retro look with the size of the windows to door panel.. Any pix of rear? (in your own time mate :D)

Axeboy
18-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Those are pics from the phone, but after its cleaned ill take some decent ones with an actual camera :)

Bodywork isnt bad, its had a spray at some point, but probably not worth doing anything with for now. Id consider putting 3000gt/gto brakes on next.

pezza
30-03-2011, 11:03 AM
soon mate, soon :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M3QmnsOMB4

Axeboy
30-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Good link, not seen that one before...

Axeboy
13-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Cars running well, no issues as yet, just a slight oil leak. A drip on the garage floor... will investigate at some point.

What do you guys reckon it'll be worth should I have to sell? Might look for something older down the line, not likely worth much

Axeboy
16-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Washed it today and its looking good.

Oil leak appears to be gearbox oil, so will investigate next weekend as it only appeared after being replaced.

Think ill keep my eye open for a set of Evo back seats, the ones in it are a little dirty and have a few holes. For the price it would make the interior much nicer, i reckon £50.