PDA

View Full Version : Battery to UNDER boot

scott.mohekey
28-02-2010, 01:48 AM
Has anyone moved the battery to under the boot? I'm talking about to one side, in front of the rear bumper, and behind the wheel arch. If I were to put it here, held in place with a metal strap and tray, would it need any box?

crazyken76
28-02-2010, 03:23 AM
thats were im putting mine i cut a hole in the side compartment and geting a box made up for it . it should be ok as its ventilated down there.

Kenneth
28-02-2010, 03:27 AM
The only issue I can see with it is that it is going to be very vulnerable should you have a knock in that part of the car.

scott.mohekey
28-02-2010, 03:37 AM
Is there any issue with sitting these types of battery on their sides? I'm guessing there probably is, due to their liquid content. If that will be a problem, I can still have it sitting upright, and build a box around it. I just don't want it actually sitting inside the boot, taking up space, looking gaudy.

crazyken76
28-02-2010, 03:42 AM
if your battery is a small one you can make it fit in the left hand side compartment but the down side is you will have to cut the backing out of the compartment but just dont cut the base out .

stuey
28-02-2010, 04:19 AM
Is there any issue with sitting these types of battery on their sides? I'm guessing there probably is, due to their liquid content. If that will be a problem, I can still have it sitting upright, and build a box around it. I just don't want it actually sitting inside the boot, taking up space, looking gaudy.

You can get the proper Optima battery that you can mount anyway you like, they're supposed to be brilliant.

Fully
01-03-2010, 08:55 AM

What stuey said =)

Completely sealed unit, you don't want acid fumes going inside your cabin either.

Turbo_Steve
01-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Er....wasn't this question about (effectively) mounting the battery behind the rear bumper : i.e. in the space opposite the space where the AYC pump lives?

Cos there is LOADS of room there for a sealed battery, though it would need some kind of cover, really. Just like on a lorry. The real issue, as I see it, is that this is potentially a crumple zone...but then so is the boot.

It strikes me as a good idea as long as it's properly fused....and it's one I've considered!

Davezj
01-03-2010, 02:36 PM
the optima batteries are available in a fully seal gell type and can be mounted on the side, end, upright, not sure about upside down. no liguid acid in side at all, and are much better in an accident situation.

crazyken76
01-03-2010, 06:03 PM
what type of price do these gell batterys go for ?

CANDEE
01-03-2010, 09:28 PM
the optima batteries are available in a fully seal gell type and can be mounted on the side, end, upright, not sure about upside down. no liguid acid in side at all, and are much better in an accident situation.
The optima's arent Gell type batteries, they are AGM(Absorbed Glass Matt), but still are sealed and can be mounted on any side. :)

J

Davezj
01-03-2010, 09:56 PM
thats odd as i remember seeing a wrecks to riches (USA) version and they put a yellow top battery in the boot of a street legal drag car "gangrene" and the said it was a gel filled battery that wouldn't leak even if the case was cracked.
maybe it because they are Yank's.

this person seems to think they are gel batteries.
http://www.ih8mud.com/product_reviews/optima_yellowtop.php

scott.mohekey
01-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Er....wasn't this question about (effectively) mounting the battery behind the rear bumper : i.e. in the space opposite the space where the AYC pump lives?

Cos there is LOADS of room there for a sealed battery, though it would need some kind of cover, really. Just like on a lorry. The real issue, as I see it, is that this is potentially a crumple zone...but then so is the boot.

It strikes me as a good idea as long as it's properly fused....and it's one I've considered!

That's the area I'm talking about. I'm going to have a fuse on the positive right on the battery if possible (More likely directly after the terminal, inline in the cable).

So it looks like I should investigate the sealed cell batteries for this?

Also, what ampere rating should the fuse be?

Turbo_Steve
01-03-2010, 10:32 PM
THAT is an interesting question, not least dependant on what thickness of cable you'd be running to the front.

For minimising nasty surprises on a winters day, I'd suggest at LEAST 150amp.

scott.mohekey
01-03-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm looking at getting some 16mm welding cable, which is supposed to be rated up to 150ish amps, so I was thinking a 100-120 amp fuse?

Does it need to be able to carry the full current from the alternator?

wintertidenz
02-03-2010, 02:50 AM
Remember you will have voltage drop across the wire too. I would suggest 35mm2 welding cable, it will carry the current easily without any voltage drop. The wire does need to carry the full current of the alternator, and then some - your biggest current draw will be at startup which I suspect will be in the region of 100a or more.

I would agree with at least a 150a fuse, or circuit breaker. Circuit breaker might be a better idea as you can easily switch it back on if you trip it.

scott.mohekey
02-03-2010, 02:54 AM
Yeah, sorry. I was planning on a circuit breaker over a fuse.

This is the cable I'm looking at getting: http://www.weldwell.co.nz/Products.aspx?category=86&name=WELDING+CABLE+%26+FITTINGS.

I presume I should get the 35mm stuff then?

wintertidenz
02-03-2010, 02:59 AM
16mm looks more like 8 AWG which is pretty small. I would definitely go for at least the 35mm wire, it will be fine for the job :) most larger sound installs use that cable, and some even go up to 70mm (slight overkill!)

See this chart if you need the conversions - http://www.palonn.com/sommer_cable/awg_mm.htm

scott.mohekey
02-03-2010, 03:03 AM
Should I get some 1000MCM?? /pan

wintertidenz
02-03-2010, 03:13 AM
Sure, you might need to drill a bigger hole through the firewall though. /pan

scott.mohekey
02-03-2010, 03:44 AM
Does anyone know what an automotive circuit breaker of around 150 amperes looks like?

wintertidenz
02-03-2010, 03:59 AM
http://www.surplustronics.co.nz/shop/product-SP0136.html - 200 amp

http://www.surplustronics.co.nz/shop/product-SP0134.html - 140 amp

scott.mohekey
02-03-2010, 04:06 AM
Sweet, thanks.

CANDEE
02-03-2010, 07:55 AM
thats odd as i remember seeing a wrecks to riches (USA) version and they put a yellow top battery in the boot of a street legal drag car "gangrene" and the said it was a gel filled battery that wouldn't leak even if the case was cracked.
maybe it because they are Yank's.

this person seems to think they are gel batteries.
http://www.ih8mud.com/product_reviews/optima_yellowtop.php
As per the below link, they mention its an AGM battery...

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/

I always thought they were a gel cell, but when I went to buy my new one the guy said that they werent, and even the brochure states they are AGM. :)

J

wintertidenz
02-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Slightly off-topic here, but how much does a Yellow Top go for nowdays J?

djb160
02-03-2010, 08:13 AM
And which of those two types of batteries is more shock resistant?

Turbo_Steve
02-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Ah...now this is an old debate - when is a Gel cell not a gell cell..... :D

Battery should be rated to deliver 500amps plus (peak) so you need to factor an instant current delivery of this amount into your design. Typically you'll never see more than 100amps, though as winter correctly points out, the drop accross the cable if it's too small will increase the current draw,

0awg cable would be best electrically (but it ain't cheap...or easy to work with!).

A 200amp breaker would seem a good idea to me, but on a super cold morning you may find you're able to trip it if you try and start the car with everything switched on. If you have a subwoofer in the car, I'd fuse it and run it seperately to the battery: it's in the back after all!

scott.mohekey
02-03-2010, 10:35 AM
My sub amp is already fused separate to the rest of the car. I'm also considering (in the long run) using a separate earth and fused positive for the stereo itself.

wintertidenz
02-03-2010, 10:48 AM
I'm also considering (in the long run) using a separate earth and fused positive for the stereo itself.

Definitely worth doing :thumbsup:

Volchok
02-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Once we moved battery under the boot to the place into spare wheel. On the place of the battary under hood we placed cold intake box.

Davezj
02-03-2010, 02:23 PM
As per the below link, they mention its an AGM battery...

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/

I always thought they were a gel cell, but when I went to buy my new one the guy said that they werent, and even the brochure states they are AGM. :)

J

certainly does say that, it is amazing how much miss information there is (and i just added to it) out there. I should have checked the Optima site myself.

Note to self AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt).

CANDEE
03-03-2010, 06:17 AM
Slightly off-topic here, but how much does a Yellow Top go for nowdays J?
Depends on where its from Dan...

From Streetsounds you will be looking at about $700+... Thought I think I got a price of just over $600 from http://www.thebatterycell.co.nz..

I have an Endurant direct replacement for the yellowtop, though looks slightly different for around the $400 mark...

Here is a top comparison of them...

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f294/SQTAXI/DSC02107.jpg

J

Ryan
03-03-2010, 06:23 AM
^ LoL @ toes /haz

CANDEE
03-03-2010, 06:36 AM
^ LoL @ toes /haz
Kat has told me before that I need a pedicure.... :lipsrseal