PDA

View Full Version : Arg! AYC gone weird again!!

Jesus-Ninja
28-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Pah! :furious4:

Went for a drive today, and the AYC is being very odd. 1 light as soon as you're moving, and at 30mph+, three lights and a strong pull to the right. Pulled the fuses and it's fine (but obviously no AYC).

So what's going on? Haven't got any diag codes, but I did change the steering wheel yesterday.

Where is the steering wheel position, and could I have done something to that? My Personal steering wheel doesn't have an airbag, but I did remove the whirly ribbon cable to modify it so that it would fit behind. In taking it out and puttin git back, could I have made the system think that straight is not straight?

MarkSanne
28-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Checked your tires / pressure?

AlanDITD
28-02-2010, 01:27 PM
sounds the most likely culprit mate, there will most probably be an angle sensor at the back of the ribbon holder, or simaler, you may have moved it and not put it back to its nuetral position....

Not sure of the exact details but would be a bt of a coincedence if it wasnt somthing you did yesterday!

Jesus-Ninja
28-02-2010, 02:05 PM
That's what I was thinking, Alan. Hopefully someone can confirm where the sensor is, and how I get it back to zero.

Louis
28-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Don't know exactly where the steering wheel angle sensor is, but it def tells the ayc pump when to activate along with all the other sensors that feed into it, so hopefully a quick fix.

Davezj
28-02-2010, 07:16 PM
it is on the bottom of the steering column in between the light stalk and the wiper stalk.
it is a black box about the size of a small match box. it is attached to white plastic bit.
i would imagine it is behind the clock sping.

if the steering wheel is not put on correctly, e.g. in the same orientation as the one that came off the AYC system will read the sensor and think the car should be going round a corner, and apply extra torque appropriately to which ever is the outside wheel of the corner. but this is no good if you going in a straight line.

the steering position sensor consists of the following ( i have one sat in front of me, one of my many spares).
1. a perforated metal disk, holes running round the edge of the disk. there is also a home position hole and a direction of rotation hole.
2. the sensor, i assume it is a pair of infra red sensor sender style pick ups that shine through the disk as it rotates.

the setup is very much like a stepper motor position feedback control system.

to fix you problem i would think you are going to have take the steering wheel back off and whatever else you need to, to enable yourself to see the home position hole on the metal disk. set this home postion hole to the bottom and put it back together. the home postion hole i think is the hole with a slot underneather it and to right is the small hole which will be the direction of rotation hole.

oh i have just had a thought, you might be able to line it up by removing the bottom cowling and then removeing the sensor itself with the t screws this will allow you to set the home hole at the bottom then put the sensor back on. but i don'tknow what else you would have to remove to get at the sensor.

Jesus-Ninja
28-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Dave - yet again I am in your debt! One day I shall buy you a pint or two! :thumbsup:

Beastlee
28-02-2010, 08:54 PM
If you have Evoscan and an OBDII cable with pin 9 removed you can connect to the AYC ECU and see exactly what is happening. I was tempted to do this when the guys did the tracking to ensure the wheel was perfectly centre. I can imagine there's a lot of VR4s (and Evos) that are out by a couple of mm.

Jesus-Ninja
28-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Do I do that through the normal OBD port?

miikka
06-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Hey.

I got the same problem today. Immediately when the car moves all three lights appears quickly one by one and AYC makes its typical noise. Removed the fuse and drove home without AYC. Haven't made any changes for long time, no steering wheel changes or anything else. All I did today I washed the car but I don't think it has anything to do with this.

Tyre pressure is normal.

Any ideas?

Beastlee
06-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Sorry J-N, I never got an e-mail saying there's been a response in the thread. Yes the OBDII port is where you plug in and Evoscan will let you access the info on the AYC ECU as well as trigger each of the actuators involved.

Does anyone else's ca make a slight beeping noise when you push it too hard into a corner? I managed to get it to do it twice today turning hard into 120% bends with a little too much power.

Jesus-Ninja
09-03-2010, 01:05 PM
OK, well here's the update with regard to mine, and a lesson learnt for all. There's three nipples on the whit "hub" of the steering wheel position sensor that engage with the steering wheel. These are NOT symetrical, and will only fit one way, and for good reason! Infact event if you didn't line things up, the hub of the sensor is sprung, so it will sit still whilst a non-engaged steering wheel spins over it, and once lined up, all will pop into place. My problem was that whilst the boss for the steering wheel has the little holes to engage with the position sensor, there are 6 different ways to then mount the steering wheel to the boss. Doh!

For the record, central is with the L piece on the ribobon cable cartridge (this engages with the sensor too) at the bottom - if this doesn't make sense, once you look at it without the steering wheel on, it will.

Miikka - I'm no expert, but could it be a problem with one of the road wheel speed sensors? Might be a good place to start looking given that you've just washed it.

Anyone know what the big AYC fuse under the bonnet does? I too this one out first, and it did fek all. I then removed the little one from under the dash, and it stoped the ayc from kicking in.