PDA

View Full Version : TC selenoids missing - problem or not?

Vinyl Works
28-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Guys, I seriously want to buy VR4 off Carl but he warned me that both traction control selenoids are missing, I don't think it is a major problem, it may be tricky in the snow but otherwise should be alright right? What worries me why would anyone remove them at all? was to allow for more fun or was there some more serious problem and quick way to solve it was to remove the selenoids? This is my first VR4 and I don't mind doing some work on it but on the other hand I cannot afford to spend more money on fixing it than I pay for it. Is there anyone in Blackwood, Caerphilly, Newport area with VR4 who could shed some light? I really want that car off Carl and I'm on my way to see it now - let me know guys what you think

Max

pedro
28-02-2010, 05:10 PM
You could borrow some from another local member and see how it goes?
Also pull the fault codes for peace of mind. Takes about 30 seconds with a paperclip.....
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45151

Ghost_2008
28-02-2010, 08:45 PM
How does the car drive?

If the solenoids have been removed it should only affect the traction control, which in tern is only really working in a straight line. I often drive with the traction control off, in fact there was advice on here over the winter period to have the TC turned off ( I think but correct me if I'm wrong)in the snow.

Check the fault codes if you can, take her for a test drive......... There should be someone on hee that knows the car and should deffinately be able to advise about the solenoid issue.......

Good luck

Atik
28-02-2010, 09:26 PM
TCL is not something key for the car to operate. In fact, Mitsubishi actually removed TCL from the VR4's (well, made it an optional extra) after the facelift.

I have disabled my TCL and many here drive with TCL OFF anyway. Take the car for a drive and see how it accelerates. Accelerate hard on corners AND straights to get an idea.

Also, you could borrow some solenoids and see how the car operates with that. And pulling any fault codes will also give you any indications to possible issues.

Vinyl Works
01-03-2010, 11:27 AM
took it for a fly-by yesterday and no problems at all - goes as it should, smooth acceleration - no problems at all only engine light came on - it stays on all the time but the car seems to be running OK, I'm gonna go for it anyway - anyone in South Wales with VR4 who could lend me selenoids for 5 minutes? Could the engine light be on because of missing selenoids?

Ghost_2008
01-03-2010, 12:19 PM
If you pull the fault codes you should have a better idea of what the issues are, I'm not sure if the engine light would illuminate for this particular issue......

Nick Mann
01-03-2010, 12:51 PM
I've seen this car, and if I remember it correctly it drove nicely. Please forgive me if my memory has let me down, but I remember a solid car with some relatively minor cosmetic scuffs.

The chances are that it is a stupid fault causing the warning light(s), especially if the solenoids are missing and the car is still driving well.

Check out the article on getting fault codes and deciphering them - that should give you more of an idea. You only need a paperclip and access to this site to carry out the procedure.

Vinyl Works
01-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Thanks Nick - I think you changed gearbox oil on that one, yes, the car drives good, the body is not a problem - that's what I do for a living ;) and I'm going to check the fault codes later on in the week - fingers crossed it'll be some minor issues.