PDA

View Full Version : Reset switch engine ECU

Davezj
01-03-2010, 01:07 AM
Ever wanted to reset you engine ECU without reseting the A/T ecu and loosing these silky smooth gear changes.

well you can if you do the following:-
1. get ECU into the passenger footwell.
2. cut wire Pin 10, connector 4 and fit a switch in line.
3. put ecu back and bolt in.

pin 10, connector 4, is the ECU Backup power+12V constant wire.

when you fit this switch ensure it is only operated when the ignition is turned off. Any ERROR CODES stored in the ECU will be deleted.

On my car when i say fitted a switch i actually fitted a wire link so it is more difficult to reset accidentally. i actually have to pull the wire link out and not just flick a switch on the dash. i find that lots of passengers don't seem to have the ability to sit in a car without flicking every switch in sight and the last thing you want is to have your ecu rest when you don't want it reseting.

It is a very simple thing to and saves some much hassle.

use the link below to find the correct pin

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41090

Davezj
03-03-2010, 07:26 PM
I can't believe nobody has commented on this.

Turbo_Steve
03-03-2010, 09:48 PM
I think it's just a simple good idea, Dave. :) I read it and thought "Makes sense". That was it :)

My only suggestion would be to use a key-switch instead of a button. Then only YOU have the power.

MarkSanne
04-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Great idea!!

peter thomson
04-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Yes great idea Dave

orionn2o
04-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Tis a good idea Dave, you have bare rep already tho lol !

chris g
04-03-2010, 12:40 PM
And if I really understood/cared about this pin thingy, switch whatsit and connectormajig then I would have responded, great idea...!

Kitty's VR4
04-03-2010, 02:27 PM
I love seeing the Pinouts being put to beneficial use.

Reps for Dave ++

Paul C
05-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Could this be used as a form of immobiliser?

Davezj
05-03-2010, 08:14 PM
i am not sure if that is a good idea. as power will be supplied to the ECU via other pins when the ignition is turned on, and not sure what that would do to it.

which is why i said the switch should only be flicked when the ignition is off.

if you want to immobilise the car quite nicely you can break in to the cam and cranck sensor back at the ECU with a relay/switch that would stop the engine starting. it would not stop the engine crancking over with the battery but it would not fire.

Turbo_Steve
05-03-2010, 09:07 PM
-cough-

er...I can't really reccomend that one, dude - the crank \ cam signals are pretty delicate things that don't like nasty relay contacts and things in the way.

The principle is sound though: you could fit a relay to interrupt the powersupply to the IFS, which appears to prevent the coilpacks firing.

Alternatively, you could just interrupt the coil pack powersupply.

Davezj
05-03-2010, 09:34 PM
yes fair enough, i hadn't considered the sensitivity of the sensor.
and yes the IFS could be disabled, to have the same effect, but i am not shure it would stop the fuel going in.
however i unplug my cam and crank sensors regularly when i am moving the cam shaft round on the starter motor for timing checks and lash adjuster removal, or just to through up an error code that i know for diagnostic stuff, etc.

the galant manual recommends removing cam and crank sensor it to stop the engine firing (which stops spark and fuel).