PDA

View Full Version : steering

craig82
01-03-2010, 08:28 PM
hi just a quickie
my steering gets very very light when i go over 70mph i mean dangerously light,so i cannot go quick and thats the hole point of the vr4/Hissy
any ideas

AlanDITD
01-03-2010, 08:43 PM
on a private track of course ;)

Wheels need balanced? tracking out? power steering fluid old? your a wuss :D

Bushes all ok? any play in the steering? loads things it coud be...

craig82
01-03-2010, 09:06 PM
of course lol
there is a bit of play in the steering , fluid is about 6months old, i have not checked bushes
even doin a ton in on a straight road is pant soiling

psbarham
01-03-2010, 09:40 PM
tracking

craig82
01-03-2010, 09:52 PM
cheers chaps

Davezj
01-03-2010, 10:31 PM
so are you finding the PAS is over assisted at speed, am i right in describing it as that.
well my brother in law had an extreame case of that which i think was a dodgy none return valve in the rack or pump. if you spin the wheel while stationary and take you hands off it, the wheel would continue to turn until it hit the end of the steering rack travel and this would happen in either direction.

but yours is obviously not as bad as this.

i know if you have you tyres pomped up too high the steering can feel light at higher speed. what are they at the moment they should be around 34 on the fronts. if yours are 40+psi then this could explain the problem.

if it is not the tyre pressure or some sort of tracking issue then it could a dodgy valve in the pas system.

Nick Mann
01-03-2010, 10:51 PM
There is some kind of pressure valve in the power steering line, which I always assumed help regulate pressure in the system as you lose vacuum - thus giving less assistance when the engine is working.

However, that is all pure assumption and could be miles out.

Davezj
01-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Thats the one that sits on the top of PS pump bracket isn't it.

maybe there is a vacuum/pressure leak in the pipes going to it. but when cruiseing at higher speeds the inlet manufold is under vacuum anyway.