PDA

View Full Version : An Amsoil Question... just putting my flame proof suit on.

paulg23
02-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Amsoil... lots of people on this forum think it's the dogs b*ll*cks. I have been trying to find some independent test results on a comparison between Amsoil and other leading brands such as Mobil 1 but so far have only come across 1 which wasn't conclusive. Can anyone point me to any independent testing.

Yes, I am waiting to be flamed. Yes I have searched this forum.

Nick Mann
02-03-2010, 11:50 AM
No one is going to blame or flame you for asking considered questions!

I haven't got direct links but I have read several independant and approaching scientific comparisons. I'm sure someone will have them - even if it is Don himself.

WildCards
02-03-2010, 11:57 AM
This link has a graph which shows some independant testing apparently;
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/sso.aspx

I think Amsoil is well regarded because it is one of the few true 100% fully syntheic oils and it's numbers stack up well. It's been used with very good results by many members on here and Don very kindly offers the club a good discount.

I've heard elsewhere that Redline oils are considered about the best, along with much arguing about Amsoil, Millers, Silkolene and Motul.

Mobil 1 as you've mentioned is considered a much inferior product by comparison, this opinion isn't helped by the rumour that the european Mobil 1 is/was at one point changed and wasn't what it said on the tin.

As with everything, everyone has an opinion on the subject of oils, i'd say buy what you want until you find something you're happy with, for me, it's Amsoil.

WildCards
02-03-2010, 12:02 PM
More reading here;

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/api_comparative_motor_oil_testing.htm

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1971.pdf

http://bestsyntheticoil.com/amsoil/g1971.pdf

http://bestsyntheticoil.com/Mobil1vsAMSOIL.pdf

paulg23
02-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the links Wildcards. Bobistheoilguy is worth a look but the others are all Amsoil sponsored, not independent. Just trying to get some real, unbiased info.

Turbo_Steve
02-03-2010, 12:56 PM
It's also worth adding that CVR4s main love for amsoil IS from experience - with the automatic gearbox. It genuinely does seem to suit our gearboxes better, and last longer.

That being said, I have used amsoil fluids throughout the car, and I wouldn't go back to using it for the engine oil - it's very hardwearing under track conditions, but I think it gets full of combustion crud just as quickly as a cheaper oil doing normal driving (judging by my lifter noise). If I am going to have to change every 4500 miles (which is about the limit of what my ears will take) then I might as well stick a cheaper fully synth in.

I think the product is as good as it's reputation.
I'm not sure it's worth the expense for engine oil on a daily driver.

paulg23
02-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Steve. I cannot comment on transmission oil as I have not done any research on that subject yet. I agree, from what I have found so far, that if you are going to change the engine oil every 4500 miles then any fully synthetic oil of the correct viscosity is fine... for road use, which I guess is what most of us use our cars for.

WildCards
02-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the links Wildcards. Bobistheoilguy is worth a look but the others are all Amsoil sponsored, not independent. Just trying to get some real, unbiased info.

It's all I could find i'm afraid. I don't know whether the API tests are sponsored by Amsoil though, just the websites hosting the data may be.

Ghost_2008
02-03-2010, 01:30 PM
It's also worth adding that CVR4s main love for amsoil IS from experience - with the automatic gearbox. It genuinely does seem to suit our gearboxes better, and last longer.

That being said, I have used amsoil fluids throughout the car, and I wouldn't go back to using it for the engine oil - it's very hardwearing under track conditions, but I think it gets full of combustion crud just as quickly as a cheaper oil doing normal driving (judging by my lifter noise). If I am going to have to change every 4500 miles (which is about the limit of what my ears will take) then I might as well stick a cheaper fully synth in.

I think the product is as good as it's reputation.
I'm not sure it's worth the expense for engine oil on a daily driver.

I would have to agree with Steve here, I have Amsoil in everything except the engine for the same reason as Steve, I have personally used Amsoil in the engine which I found started the dreaded tappets off fairly early where as the oil I have at present is cool and has kept the tappets at bay for a good four months or so........... Cant remember the manufacturer or spec at the moment but it was something like Mobil1 5w-30........

WildCards
02-03-2010, 01:48 PM
You could use Amsoil or a premium oil every 3rd or 4th change in conjunction with the usual daily driver cheaper oil.

It's also worth noting that you don't actually need to change the oil every 4500 miles if you use as higher quality oil, as BernMC proved, if the oil is still in spec after reaching the first, second or even third interval, wouldn't it be more cost effective to change it when it needs it rather than when the 15 year old manufacturer data specifies.

Turbo_Steve
02-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Nope - the oil may be fine but the tappets sound like a diesel at around 2500-3000miles on Amsoil, at least on mine. So whilst the oil may still be in excellent condition, the noise is deafening!

WildCards
02-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Have you got the upgraded tappets Steve?

Turbo_Steve
02-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Nope. Factory fit all day long.

orionn2o
02-03-2010, 02:12 PM
You could just upgrade the lash adjusters Steve,

I did a couple of years ago and it was well worth it. Not a tick in sight ever ! Even if the oil has been well used

WildCards
02-03-2010, 02:22 PM
I suppose it depends on how much money you're going to save using cheaper oil regularly against the cost of fitting the uprated lash adjusters and running premium oil for longer intervals doesn't it.

Turbo_Steve
02-03-2010, 03:16 PM
...and, of course, whether the car is worth spending that money on.....

steelie600
02-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Castrol edge 5w30 standard tappets and silence!!!!

Volvo fully synthetic atf (truck stuff) in the gearbox, ayc, ayc pump, and power steering

Morris Anti freeze

Silkolene dot 5.1 racing brake fluid (some i had left from my racing days)

steelie600
02-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Just to add wizardkings is exactly the same except the engine oil where he uses ac delco fully synth 5w30

Turbo_Steve
02-03-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm interested to know how the Volvo truck ATF is holding up - any chance of a lab test, Kev?

As for engine oils - just about any will do. The problem is not whether the car runs okay with it, but
1) does it actually cost any performance using the lower quality oil (probably does)
2) if you decide to mercilessly thrash the car around a circuit, or a long VMax run, do you know what temperature your engine is getting to, and what temperature your oil breaks down at?

I see little point in being concerned about engine longevity - we're all shortening the life of our bearings and ring and bores by turning up the wick :)

miller
02-03-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm interested to know how the Volvo truck ATF is holding up - any chance of a lab test, Kev?

AFAIK it should be turning a breeze block red by now somewhere :sigh:

steelie600
02-03-2010, 05:25 PM

As for engine oils - just about any will do. The problem is not whether the car runs okay with it, but
1) does it actually cost any performance using the lower quality oil (probably does)
2) if you decide to mercilessly thrash the car around a circuit, or a long VMax run, do you know what temperature your engine is getting to, and what temperature your oil breaks down at?

I see little point in being concerned about engine longevity - we're all shortening the life of our bearings and ring and bores by turning up the wick :)

It was holding up very well steve up till the point i err bust the box!!! still a lovely cherry red and lovely smooth shifts after 10,000 miles. Ive got a clompletely fresh load of oil in this box off carl and i drained the tc too so there is no oil of any other type other than the volvo stuff in there, so let me get 10k miles on this one then ill happily do a lab test. Strange thing is there was some oil left in the box before i put it in, only a bit mind and i know it was amsoil, but it was a horrible dirty brown colour. Does it go like that?? there was no evidence of wear inside the box or oil pump tho.

I-S
02-03-2010, 05:51 PM
I agree that at 4500 miles it's not really a major win for amsoil engine oil over other good quality fully synthetics.

The transmission is another matter - the club experience is that it lasts longer, shifts smoother and more likely that your transmission will live longer too through lower temperatures.

Kenneth
03-03-2010, 04:34 AM
I started a thread somewhere about an independent oil analysis I had done.

I sent in some amsoil which had done 25,000km (15,000miles). The results came back that it was still in serviceable condition. The oil had also been in the car over 3 years.

Ryan
03-03-2010, 04:46 AM
Did they not also stipulate that they needed to test at least three samples to get a good result?

I know that this was true for my ATF sample but not sure if the same applies to engine oil.

WildCards
03-03-2010, 09:50 AM
I started a thread somewhere about an independent oil analysis I had done.

I sent in some amsoil which had done 25,000km (15,000miles). The results came back that it was still in serviceable condition. The oil had also been in the car over 3 years.

That is good info Ken, got a link?

psbarham
03-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Nope. Factory fit all day long.

I have a set of stock ones here that just need a clean, which we can swap for yours if you want, its all i did to mine and they are silent.

Turbo_Steve
03-03-2010, 11:07 AM

Just out of interest - were you lifters still quiet? My theory is that whilst the oil remains in good condition, it can't soak up enough crap to keep it out of those pesky lifters, and that only regular oil and filter changes can keep them quiet.
However, this has no basis in fact!

Kenneth
03-03-2010, 08:45 PM
My original thread is here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42643&highlight=amsoil+analysis)

Steve: I couldn't tell you if they still ticked or not. I don't think they did, though the top end has always been a tad noisy on that car.